Pharmacy questions

BigB0882

When we went to Cozumel on the Elation back in December I was shocked at all of the pharmacies where you could get a lot of things that are prescription only in the U.S. I didn't get anything but thought about it. I have bad sciatica and was thinking of getting Soma for when I have bad bouts. Are these drugs considered safe? When I go back in June I may stop by and grab something but I don't know if it is safe.

If that medication is a narcotic, you would require a Rx. I am not familiar with it.

Some people have reported the pharmacies at shopping areas at the docks are starting to require Rx for antibiotics etc I have read here the downtown pharmacies still sell some non-narcotic meds without Rx.

People don't drink the water in Mexico. Why would you purchase a compound that needs a physicians approval in NA.:eek:

I see your point but the water in Mexico isn't "bad" it is just not what we are used to. They can obviously drink it without problems. I thought perhaps the drugs are exactly the same, in theory they should be but I don't know where they are manufactured and what kinds of laws they have. I will do some more research on this. I know you don't need a prescription for many things, they didn't require one when I was in Cozumel even though I ended up not buying.

Interestingly, you can't get Sudafed...I got a cold on my cruise a few weeks ago and I was hoping to get some in Cozumel. I could've stocked up on every other drug in the world, but no Sudafed!!!! I don't recall seeing any signs about needing prescriptions.

• 3 weeks later...

I have bought prescription medications at the downtown pharmacy over the Diamonds International-going blank on the name right now but it's something like Drug and Souvenir Shop.. It is run by Bobbie and her pharmacist husband. Bobbie is an American so English no problem. They have been wonderful to deal with over the years. No RX ever needed.

It's been hit or miss for us. We've always stocked up on amoxicillin, ZPacks and Imitrex for migraine. The last two times we could not get the amox or Z Packs. We are heading to Playa on a mainland vaca this Saturday and will see what we can get.

As far as the "safety" only you can decide whether or not you want to do it. I've been using Mexican Amoxicillin for about 8 years. We just keep it on hand in case we need it. My family is an extended household of pharmacists and we all stock up when one of us goes down there. I can't tell you if it's a potent as the US product, but we've never had an issue.

I would never "recommend" to purchase Rx items in Mexico. But I am just informing you so that you can make your own decision.

It's been hit or miss for us. We've always stocked up on amoxicillin, ZPacks and Imitrex for migraine. The last two times we could not get the amox or Z Packs. We are heading to Playa on a mainland vaca this Saturday and will see what we can get.

As far as the "safety" only you can decide whether or not you want to do it. I've been using Mexican Amoxicillin for about 8 years. We just keep it on hand in case we need it. My family is an extended household of pharmacists and we all stock up when one of us goes down there. I can't tell you if it's a potent as the US product, but we've never had an issue.

I would never "recommend" to purchase Rx items in Mexico. But I am just informing you so that you can make your own decision.

What are the prices that you normally pay for Z-Packs and Imitrex?

Interestingly, you can't get Sudafed...I got a cold on my cruise a few weeks ago and I was hoping to get some in Cozumel. I could've stocked up on every other drug in the world, but no Sudafed!!!! I don't recall seeing any signs about needing prescriptions.

You realize that it is now hard to get in this country.

What are the prices that you normally pay for Z-Packs and Imitrex?

One dose of Z (I think there are 5 or 6 caplets in the bottle) is around $30 US. (if I remember correctly) and Imitrex is expensive.....$60 for the bottle, but I don't know how many are in there (I get them for my sister). She always gives me $60 when I go and I pick one up for her.

I will get you current pricing after our week's stay starting on Saturday!! I'll be back in about 11 days and let you know more details.

Edited by mrsfuzzmo

One dose of Z (I think there are 5 or 6 caplets in the bottle) is around $30 US. (if I remember correctly) and Imitrex is expensive.....$60 for the bottle, but I don't know how many are in there (I get them for my sister). She always gives me $60 when I go and I pick one up for her.

I will get you current pricing after our week's stay starting on Saturday!! I'll be back in about 11 days and let you know more details.

Thank you so much!!! I would appreciate any pricing you can get :)

You realize that it is now hard to get in this country.

When I buy Sudafed at home, I have to show an ID and the pharmacist records the purchase. There is no difficulty purchasing the one package I want but they control it now as it is an ingredient used by those who make illegal street drugs.

There are a number of places that now require a Rx for Sudafed. Even if the FDA doesn't require one, a number of county governments are requiring them! At least, near me they are.

As for the Rx, I am an allergy patient, and I take Sudafed all the time. My MD writes me a Rx every 6 months and off to the pharmacy at Sam's Club I go. The Rx means I can use my HSA, I don't have to pay sales tax, and that they don't have to do all the recording stuff behind the counter, because the Dr already approved me.

I do the same for my nasal spray, now that it is also OTC.

As for buying meds in Mexico, my sister lived there for years and got them at the pharmacy near her. For some meds, the pharmacist wanted a Rx written out, sometimes they wanted the exact medication on just a sheet of paper (no actual Rx needed) and sometimes she just went and picked up what she wanted.

Keep in mind, if a medication requires a prescription in the US, and you come in with more than a very small amount (a few days past arrival date), you are breaking US law. If you just have a few days worth, the assumption can be that you got sick on vacation and got one course of treatment while on vacation. More than that, you are liable to get it taken. YMMV.

There are a number of places that now require a Rx for Sudafed. Even if the FDA doesn't require one, a number of county governments are requiring them! At least, near me they are.

As for the Rx, I am an allergy patient, and I take Sudafed all the time. My MD writes me a Rx every 6 months and off to the pharmacy at Sam's Club I go. The Rx means I can use my HSA, I don't have to pay sales tax, and that they don't have to do all the recording stuff behind the counter, because the Dr already approved me.

I do the same for my nasal spray, now that it is also OTC.

As for buying meds in Mexico, my sister lived there for years and got them at the pharmacy near her. For some meds, the pharmacist wanted a Rx written out, sometimes they wanted the exact medication on just a sheet of paper (no actual Rx needed) and sometimes she just went and picked up what she wanted.

Keep in mind, if a medication requires a prescription in the US, and you come in with more than a very small amount (a few days past arrival date), you are breaking US law. If you just have a few days worth, the assumption can be that you got sick on vacation and got one course of treatment while on vacation. More than that, you are liable to get it taken. YMMV.

Interesting...thanks.

And I do know that Sudafed is harder to get in the US, but I don't need a prescription for it. I just thought it was ironic that the one thing that I needed was basically the ONLY thing they didn't have---even if I would've had a prescription. It's cheaper for me to get everything else in the US b/c I'm very fortunate to have good insurance.

Thank you so much!!! I would appreciate any pricing you can get :)

Just back and the prices are all over the place. One pharmacy in Playa I purchased 1 bottle of Amox = 50 tablets, 2 bottles of Imitrex (9 pills per bottle) and one pack of Tetracyclene (12 per pack) and my total was 900 pesos (or about $75 US).

The next day I went to a pharmacy in Puerto Aventuras and asked for another bottle of Amox (same size/brand) and they wanted to charge me $100 US. I politely declined.