Port or starboard

Ontariotrekker

You're in a CANAL...views on BOTH sides! However, if you sit on your balcony, you'll miss 3/4 of the sights! You'll need to roam about the ship....front to back, side to side, different deck levels! All will give you different perspectives!

Not sure what you are asking... actually the views are changing very little as a result of the Canal expansion. Since it appears you already have a Canal transit planned you would be going through on a ship that can already pass through the existing locks. If that is the case you would most likely be using the present locks as opposed to the new expansion locks. While you can't rule out the possibility a present Panamamax ship could use the new locks instead of the present locks, I really don't think you will see that scenario for awhile.

If you are wanting to know where you can see the expansion project... then on the Pacific side before arriving at Miraflores Locks the new locks complex is visible from the port side. You will some distance from it and since there are not any really tall structures involved, there is not a lot to see. When you clear Miraflores Locks and crossing Miraflores Lake you will be able to see the Borinquen Dam that was constructed to create the Pacific Access Channel that will connect the Pacific Locks to Gaillard Cut and Gatun Lake. On the Atlantic side the new locks will be on the starboard side, but the distance and their low profile will not make them not very visible.

IMO there are a few more visual gems to see on the starboard side going in the direction you are headed. BUT you are going to give up a lot of great things if you are going to choose a side. Bruce says it all... it's 360!! Don't miss a thing, do both sides.

We were on the port side passing on the right side - like US streets, drive on the right. The canal operations buildings were between the East/West locks, in the median. I thought it was so cool to rise to the level of the ops. building going from east to west. "Keep your hands and feet within your balcony and enjoy the ride". If you're on the port side wave to the prisoners in the jail. They'll appreciate it.:cool:

Edited by traveller99

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks everyone... I've been through before and I just wondered if views had changed/improved with the construction. Shar

Two weeks ago we did our fourth full transit of the canal. Our first full transit was in 2008. I don't think that the views have changed/improved with the construction of the new locks, although the construction is visible.