Ayers Rock or kangaroo island

bapaleg

If you have a choice of these two places which one would you choose? We are going on a cruise and will be staying a few days before in Sydney and then at Great Barrier Reef. Can't decide between these other two. Would really like your opinions. Thanks

If you have a choice of these two places which one would you choose? We are going on a cruise and will be staying a few days before in Sydney and then at Great Barrier Reef. Can't decide between these other two. Would really like your opinions. Thanks

You do know that they are both a long way from wither of those.

KI will let you see some of our amazing wildlife.

TheRock is an absolutely spectacular site to see, breathtaking. Think of the Grand Canon as the nearest thing I can suggest. But instead of a hol in the ground a great big rock.

I have been to Kangaroo Island twice and to Uluru (the preferred name for Ayers Rock) twice. They are both excellent destinations, but there are a lot of factors to consider when making your choice.

I think one of the primary considerations should be the time of year of your trip. If your cruise takes place during the Australian summer (December - February), Uluru is going to be really hot. The high temperatures during that time will be around 98 - 100 degrees F. Any sightseeing will have to take place during the morning or early evening hours. On the other hand, Australian summer is a really nice time to be on KI.

Another consideration is your budget. Getting to both places will not be cheap. There are non-stop and one-stop flights from Sydney and Cairns (GBR) to Uluru. (You will want to fly to the airport which services Uluru, Ayers Rock Airport with the airport code of AYQ. Some people think you fly into Alice Springs, but that would entail a 6+hour drive to Uluru.) Once at Uluru, all of the accommodations and dining choices are in Yulara Village which is operated by a company called Voyages. Because of this monopoly and because of the remoteness of the area, prices are high.

There are also expenses which you will incur getting to Kangaroo Island. You have to fly first to Adelaide and then either fly to KI or drive to Cape Jervis and take the ferry. (Car rental companies did not used to let you take the car on the ferry--you'd have to check into that.) However, once you get to KI, there is a variety of accommodations for a range of budgets.

Finally, you need to consider what you want to experience. Some people get a "magical" feeling from Uluru and Kata Tjuta (the Olgas). They certainly are majestic and it is one of the most remote areas I have ever been in. It's a good place for some hiking, but it would have to be done in the morning if you are there in summer. And, of course, there's the Aboriginal connection and you can learn a lot about the Aboriginal people and their customs during your visit to Uluru should that interest you.

A visit to Kangaroo Island generally focuses on the wildlife, but there is some amazing scenery there too. (In fact, the Remarkable Rocks are of a similar creation as Uluru.) We've done some nice hikes in Flinders Chase NP, if you enjoy hiking.

Should you go to Uluru, I would plan to stay for 2 nights/3 days. If you go to Kangaroo Island, I would plan to stay for at least 3 nights/4 days.

Just as an adjunct to the above, we chose to stay in Alice Springs and chartered a plane to Alice. We had a wonderful time and the "magical feeling" is true. So we got cheaper accomodation and a wonderful experience.

There are daily flights between Ularu and the Alice.

Much cheaper to fly into Ularu.

We have just researched a visit there but in our winter months. Too darn hot in summer and then there are the flies:eek:

KI for sure over the two in summer but you need more than just a few days precruise from Sydney. These places are worlds apart.

Thanks for all of your information. We are going thru a ta and she likes KI better. We are going in February and would only be spending two days at either place. I just really had never heard of kangaroo island before. More people talk about Uluru. If we won't be back again I was just wondering your opinions

Thanks for all of your information. We are going thru a ta and she likes KI better. We are going in February and would only be spending two days at either place. I just really had never heard of kangaroo island before. More people talk about Uluru. If we won't be back again I was just wondering your opinions

Will you have two full days for KI or does that include your travel time too? If that includes your travel time, it's not worth the effort to fly halfway across the country go to KI. Even 2 full days is not much time considering how far you are having to travel to get there.

With so little time available for a side trip, I'd look to staying on the East Coast. There are some great places around Sydney, e.g. the Blue Mountains or even the nation's capital, Canberra. (Canberra is a great place for seeing native animals in the wild. You can see kangaroos in the city limits on Red Hill or Mt. Ainslie. You can see mobs of kangaroos on the Yankee Hat Hike in Namadgi NP just outside of Canberra, along with Aboriginal rock drawings. And there's lots of native wildlife at Tidbinbilla Nature Reserve in Canberra.)

No way I'd go to "The Rock" in February.

Just to make sure you are aware. The flight distance between Sydney and Kangaroo Island is about 900 miles via Adelaide and the flight distance between Sydney and Uluru/Ayers Rock is about 1400 miles.

In summer (Dec-Mar) I would definitely not go to Uluru, but if you do make sure you also see Kata Tjuta/The Olgas.

I would most definitely not go to Kangaroo Island in winter (May-Sep). For summer its great, plus it has koalas.

Just to make sure you are aware. The flight distance between Sydney and Kangaroo Island is about 900 miles via Adelaide and the flight distance between Sydney and Uluru/Ayers Rock is about 1400 miles.

In summer (Dec-Mar) I would definitely not go to Uluru, but if you do make sure you also see Kata Tjuta/The Olgas.

I would most definitely not go to Kangaroo Island in winter (May-Sep). For summer its great, plus it has koalas.

Agree about the Olgas.

There are daily flights between Ularu and the Alice.

Much cheaper to fly into Ularu.

We have just researched a visit there but in our winter months. Too darn hot in summer and then there are the flies:eek:

KI for sure over the two in summer but you need more than just a few days precruise from Sydney. These places are worlds apart.

We were on the ghan when it stopped at alice and turned back (many many years ago) so we weren't "flying in". And there are several other tales from this journey that just added to its magic.

May I suggest you check our Terry from Ohio's blog, he did the GBR and KI prior to his cruise on the Solstice, so similar to what you want to do.

GUT2407: No way I'd go to "The Rock" in February.

Appreciate this nice mention and linking by Elise to my live/blog. YES' date=' [b']Kangaroo Island is amazing[/b] and wonderful. In doing our planning for our trip two years ago, we seriously consider and would like to have done Ayers Rock. BUT, much as wisely noted by GUT2407, Jan-Feb. can be a bad period to visit there. Too hot and full of bugs was the warning we got from smart, experienced travelers.

Below are some "eye-candy" samples of my photos for some of what we super enjoyed on Kangaroo Island. Let us know any added questions as you are planning and considering your many options for these great "down under" locations. On pages 16 and 17 of my reports are lots of details for KI.

There's lots and lots to share about this unique slice Aussie charm, wildlife, fun, adventure, etc. It was not a direct part of our 14-day Solstice cruise, BUT, your "strategies" for what you do pre and post on any cruise in these areas is a vital part of your considerations and choices to be made in advance. Don't go there just for the cruise!! That can be great, but the before and after is like the "frosting" on the cake that can make such a huge difference.

It takes some effort and cost in dollars and time to do Kangaroo Island. Was it worth that "investment" for us? The answer is and was a loud and resounding . . . YES!! One of the top, super favorites from our trip!! Why? Part of this excitement and mass of wonderful memories was the setting, nature and wildlife experienced. The other valuable part were the wonderful people we encountered, both living there and visit/exploring with us as we were doing this adventure.

Kangaroo Island is 70 miles south of Adelaide in South Australia. We had two full days on this very "natural" island. It is not a small area. At its longest point, it is 93 miles long. Its widest point is 34 miles across. This makes it as large in area as Puerto Rico or NY's Long Island. But lots less in population. Only about 4,400 people live here. Lots more sheep and wild animals are here. Can you see this area in a day? Not really. It takes longer to get a better "feel" for this island and its many wonders. We are glad we had the two days and being overnight there.

K.I., as locals call it, is Australia's third-largest island, after Tasmania and Melville Island. Its closest point to the mainland is a distance of 8.4 miles. Its total area is 1,700 square miles. Once occupied by Australian Aborigines, the native population disappeared after the land became an island following rising sea levels several thousand years ago. It was resettled in the early 19th century, first by whalers and those capturing seals. The island's economy has been mainly focused on agricultural and more recently with tourism growing in importance. About a quarter of the island has been protected as nature reserves or parks to preserved its natural vegetation and native animals. The largest and best-known is Flinders Chase National Park at the western end that we visited on our first day there. Nearly half of the island has never been cleared of vegetation. This visit really gave us a better awareness of the vast "natural" regions of Australia, away from the urban growth and not being as developed.

Traditionally, sheep-grazing has been the key focus for agriculture on the Island, but recently, more diverse crops, such as potatoes, grapes/wine and canola have been introduced. Cattle farming has grown. Kangaroo Island is noted for its honey, made by Ligurian honey bees. The island has averaged over 150,000 visitors annually. Kangaroo Island has South Australia's only eucalyptus oil distillery. Because of its isolation from mainland Australia, foxes and rabbits are absent from and prohibited from entering the island. The Kangaroo Island Kangaroo, Rosenberg's Sand Goanna, Southern Brown Bandicoot, Tammar Wallaby, Common Brushtail Possum, Short-beaked Echidna and New Zealand Fur Seal are native to the island. The introduced Koalas have grown on the island, but their preferred food source, the Manna Gum, is at risk from use by these cute animals. Lightning strikes in December 2007 caused several fires on the Island, burning about 20% of the island, mostly within national park and conservation reserves. Flinders Chase National Park had a large part of its lands burnt.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 138,105 views for this posting.

From amazing Kangaroo Island, 70 miles south of Adelaide in South Australia, here is a picture of two kangaroos doing what they do best on the open plains of this island while we observed at a distance.:

GBRLizIslanReef5_zps8aff9a96.jpg

At Flinders Chase National Park, first is a longer view as we approached the Remarkable Rocks that dramatically overlook this coast region of Kangaroo Island. These are naturally-sculptured formations sit atop a base of granite. This rock formation appears like sculptures of the UK's Henry Moore.:

KangIslandOneA15_zps7f57e126.jpg

Here is an overall coastal/beach view within Flinders National Park.:

GBRLizIslanReef1_zpsd84266b9.jpg

Here is a view at Admiral's Arch with an amazing angle through that famed stone arch outward towards sea/rock/coastal scenery.:

GBRLizIslanReef3_zpsb25405e5.jpg

With Craig Wickham, the operator of Exceptional Kangaroo Island on this famed Australian island near Adelaide, he took us on a "hunt", successfully, to find more Koalas out in the wild. Here is just one example of these Koala finds that we enjoyed so much. Aren't they cute? So lovable?:

KangIslandOneA1_zpsc37fce84.jpg

Here is one sample from my many pictures of these interesting and playful Australian Sea Lions at Kangaroo Island's Seal Bay. Fun!!:

KangIslandTwoA_zpse8ca57a4.jpg

We have just returned from a trip to Uluru and would highly recommend it we were there for 5 nights but spoke to lots of international tourists who stayed a couple of days then fly out to Cairns to do the GBR. It will be hot in February and will need a fly net but this is a totally different experience not to be missed

Timing in February is your answer! Flies and heat at Uluru - not the time to visit. I would definitely go to Kangaroo Island, which can still be hot, but with beaches and a sea breeze. Terry's photos show just how beautiful this island is.