Callao Port to Lima. How?

LocoLoco1

Anyone with recent experience of getting from Callao, Peru dockside to Downtown Lima, Peru?? Any observations and thoughts much appreciated. Locomotiveman TOM

Whether you take the ships's shuttle, taxi, or a one of the "free" shuttles that one or two vendors use to transport you to their showroom/shops, try to hit Miraflores district in Lima. It is more for tourists but they have a wide variety of local crafts, shopping malls, restaurants that can keep you pretty busy all day long.

Like all tourist places, keep your valuables close to you at all times.

Hi. I'm also interested in that.

So is there a shuttle also organized by Celebrity? Can't find that information on Celebritys shore excursions brochure. Probably too cheap :p

Is there also a shuttle back from somewhere downtown or is it just a oneway trip?

Where will it stop?

Thank you for any help!

• 3 months later...

We have been here twice. Both times the ship docks in a very industrial port the port has small van to transport passengers from the ship to the main gate. But note this can be very long and we took over an hour to get to the gate to meet our travel guide.

On our most recent trip the ship offered free shuttles to a shopping area (San Miguel Shopping Plaza) for free. But this was not offered the first time we were there.

The ship also had an excursion to Mia Flores Shopping Mall (very touristy and like any American mall) but it is a good jumping off spot to see many sights.

We did a private tour from here and we had to meet them at the gate. So if this is what you are planning on doing give yourself lots of time.

Here is a link to my blog from the last time in Lima http://vickieandbernietravel.blogspot.ca/2014/03/pisco-sour-callaolima-peru-march-25-2014.html

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone with recent experience of getting from Callao, Peru dockside to Downtown Lima, Peru?? Any observations and thoughts much appreciated. Locomotiveman TOM

Take the H Stern shuttle to their store. Nice and central location. Check the times of their last shuttle back. Works perfectly.

yes it is a working port/pier and you cannot walk because of equipment and therefore the ships have a bus shuttle from the ship to the maingate, 5 min tops. but then princess offered a free shuttle from there to the market(tourist stuff), not miraflores. the 2nd day we were there a celebrity ship docked and were shuttled to the maingate but did not give their passengers a shuttle to town. its pretty shady/iffy area around there and we were told by the ship not to go outside the gate and try and hail a taxi. we had a private tour booked both days with a small family company, 8 of us and very reasonable. they met us just outside the gate as did any other private tour co.

yes it is a working port/pier and you cannot walk because of equipment and therefore the ships have a bus shuttle from the ship to the maingate, 5 min tops. but then princess offered a free shuttle from there to the market(tourist stuff), not miraflores. the 2nd day we were there a celebrity ship docked and were shuttled to the maingate but did not give their passengers a shuttle to town. its pretty shady/iffy area around there and we were told by the ship not to go outside the gate and try and hail a taxi. we had a private tour booked both days with a small family company, 8 of us and very reasonable. they met us just outside the gate as did any other private tour co.

wow I wish Princess had done this in March when we were there. Very different , Princess offered a free shuttle from ship to town but the did not operate the shuttle to the main gate. The port operated the shuttle to the main gate and that was just in two small vans and small bus that accommodated 15 people or so. The wait for the shuttle first thing was an hour to the main gate.

What cruise line were you on, cause I like how your line handled it better.

We were there in December and used the port shuttle to go to the main gate. We had arranged a two-day tour (we were docked overnight) with a company that met and dropped us off at the main gate both days.

The first day we went to the Pacha (whoops, can't spell it!) mac ruins and spent some time in Mira Flores. The second day was a tour of Lima. We enjoyed both days.

There was a shuttle to a shopping center from the main gate--it didn't look very impressive to me--and there were also a couple of small shopping areas right at the gate, and another part way to the ship that the shuttle would drop you off at, and and then you could catch a shuttle back to the ship when done shopping.

• 2 weeks later...
We will be disembarking in Lima and will need a taxi to our hotel there. Did the ship give out any instructions on finding a safe taxi to Miraflores?

The ship (Princess) had a bus transfer to Miraflores. But for a taxi there were many at the port entrance and you should have no problem getting one there.

Vickie

yes it is the port that provides the shuttles to the pier gate. We had a very long wait for this shuttle to the gate the last time we were there in March. See blog post.

I now wish we would of taken the ships' free shuttle to the city and met our guide there. But I don't know if the free shuttle from ship is an ongoing thing. The time we were there prior was two years ago and the ship did not offer this. But this year they did stating that it was free cause the area around the port was not safe. But I will add that the port was no more dangerous for pick pockets than any other port we visited in South America, Rio, Buenos Aries, Montevideo, Valparaiso.

We love Lima and can't wait to go back.

We had also heard that it wasn't safe to just hail a taxi outside of the port so we booked with a company called taxidatum.com. They were recommended on TripAdvisor. I made the arrangement online and they were very responsive as far as getting the taxi set up. We went from the port directly to the airport for $25. The driver was right outside the port with a sign and was a really nice man with a nice car. We were really happy with their service. We met others who were using them as well to drive them around Lima. We took the ship's shuttle to the port entrance where the taxis are. The taxis can't come into the port where the ship docks, however, I did notice that there were some tours that were able to pick up inside the port.

I checked online and it looked like $25 was reasonable. It was a 15-20 minute ride as there was a lot if traffic. We thought it was $25 well spent. It was safe and dependable.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 3 weeks later...

My Firsthand info as of Apr 2014: Our HAL cruise ship was tied up some distance from the Callao Harbor Security Gate. NO WALKING to that Gate. Only a few HarborSecurity Mini-vans ran independent guests to that Turnstile/Gate. Seems each Cruise Line arranged things slightly differently. Chaos can prevail because Motorcoach Tours boarded them at Gangway, Guests leaving for the Airport or Hotels might've had Mini-vans pre-provided, 'On-your-own' Bus Shuttle to a Downtown meeting place was yet another option offered, and independent snoopers needed to wrestle with the Taxi-stand fellas outside the Gate. In summation, different schemes for different situations. It's quite a drive to Downtown Lima from ship's location. I negotiated a local Taxi with a newer Toyota Camry outside Security Gate for 3-days of nice Independent Museum/Tavern snooping 'round Lima and Callao at $100/bucks for all 4 of us per day, plus his meal at Taberna Queirolo and a nice $tip$. Standing in the wrong line seemed to be a common gangway past-time for many. We managed OK. Locomotiveman

• 2 months later...
Did you notice the cost of the "on your own" shuttle? We will be in Lima in November and trying to figure out what to do there.

Thanks

are you referring to a tour or a shuttle to a spot in Lima.

I am just looking at the princess excursion page I kept from this year's trip.

They had a Lima on your own that says: After your transfer from Callao to Miraflores district in Lima, enjoy several hours of independent sightseeing. You may choose to shop at Larcomart, enjooy a Pisoc sour with spectacular view of the ba. Find your way to the Indian market where you can pick up a weaving, a wood carving, or a stunning piece of gold or silver jewlery or go to Barranco's Lima Bohemian district. Take time out from your exploration to indulge ina delicious meal at one of the cities many fine restaurants prior to re boarding your transportation at a predetermined locatio for your drive back to the pier.

The tour is stated as five hours at varied departure times at a cost of $35 for adult and $25 for child

hope this helps.

I do think this is a stop that requires a good tour, either thru the ship or independently with a private guide. There is a lot to see and a lot of great history.

Vickie

Thanks for the info. We are actually debarking in Lima and will probably just have our hotel arrange a taxi.

just remember you will have to somehow make your way from the ship to the port gate. There are shuttles thru the port but our experience both times we were there was they are small and not many of them.

Some taxi companies are allowed to come into the port but not sure which. I am sure the ship will have more details when you get on about it.

Great place to end your voyage. I would love to spend more time here.

Vickie

• 4 months later...
just remember you will have to somehow make your way from the ship to the port gate. There are shuttles thru the port but our experience both times we were there was they are small and not many of them.

Some taxi companies are allowed to come into the port but not sure which. I am sure the ship will have more details when you get on about it.

Great place to end your voyage. I would love to spend more time here.

Vickie

This is a question for Vicki and anyone else who may have first hand information.

We are going to be on the Celebrity Infinity on March 20th for a one day stop in Lime for nine hours.

Vicki,

Thank you for the wonderful information you provided and blog. However, I am still a wee bit confused since the port doesn't seem to have the same procedures.

I noticed that you mentioned that Princess has an independent transport to Miraflores for $35. However, it was also mentioned that sometimes the cruise lines offer transport to Miraflores for free. Additionally, Sterns offers free transportation to Miraflores.

So here is the question: Should I just try to get the free shuttle to Miraflores. Spend some time there on our own and then meet a driver somewhere in Miraflores for a tour to the historical center. Then go back to Miraflores for the free transport back?

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

Lydia

Lydia, We were on Celebrity in March, 2014. We took the shuttle to the port gate and then met our driver and guide at the gate. We went into Lima, went to the Franciscan monastery, walked through the main square and had a Pisco Sour at the Grand Hotel Bolivar. We then went to Barranco for a view of the coast line and Miraflores for a quick stop at the Love sculpture. There is a lot of traffic in the area and we were ultra cautious about getting back to the ship in time, so we didn't stay longer in Miraflores. It turned out to be a fairly quick ride back to the ship and we were back almost 2 hours earlier than we needed to be! I think it would be inefficient to shuttle to and from Miraflore and then go from Miraflores into the city, a circle route would be a better use of your time. We normally like to tour independently, but this was one port where we felt the private tour made more sense.

Lydia, We were on Celebrity in March, 2014. We took the shuttle to the port gate and then met our driver and guide at the gate. We went into Lima, went to the Franciscan monastery, walked through the main square and had a Pisco Sour at the Grand Hotel Bolivar. We then went to Barranco for a view of the coast line and Miraflores for a quick stop at the Love sculpture. There is a lot of traffic in the area and we were ultra cautious about getting back to the ship in time, so we didn't stay longer in Miraflores. It turned out to be a fairly quick ride back to the ship and we were back almost 2 hours earlier than we needed to be! I think it would be inefficient to shuttle to and from Miraflore and then go from Miraflores into the city, a circle route would be a better use of your time. We normally like to tour independently, but this was one port where we felt the private tour made more sense.

Mary,

I noticed that you are on CC so I am sending you an email ...in 2 or 3 minutes in reply to your appreciated assistance.

Mary,

So you went a year after we are going. I do appreciate your information. I was very delayed in researching the ports. Like you, we normally do our own thing or get a taxi driver with a bunch of others at the port. However, Lima was overwhelming especially since taxis are not all honest, the fact that Callao is considered not safe, how difficult it can be to get to the gate from the ship, no real info on whether there is a free shuttle to town, etc.

So I am looking at a driver/guide. I actually have 3 that I am seriously considering. My favorite is very expensive unless we have 8 people. I posted on CC the option to come with us and no one responded...I did noticed that most people booked their tours a year ago.

So we will probably go with a guide with just my husband and me. I will keep in mind what you said about doing a circle and the traffic.

Do you think it is worth going to Miraflores? We were thinking of just doing the City tour and the Franciscan Monastery and Catacombs and the Larco Museum that has a real popular cafe and gift shop. Any advice on what to do. Thank you so much for your assistance.

Lydia from North Florida