Nachi Cocum solo?

AdoraBelle

On a whim I reserved a beach break at Nachi Cocum in Cozumel for my upcoming solo trip. I didn't realize until after the fact that the place is a little rustic, and I can't find any evidence that they have lockers. Can anyone confirm? I'd like to swim, and I can put my ID and key card in a lanyard, but I'll still have at least one piece of electronics with me that will need to be secured.

Also, I'd been planning on doing a shopping trip downtown in the morning before getting a cab to the beach. If I don't get there till 10 or 11, will I still be able to get a spot in the shade, or do people stake them out early?

Worst case scenario, if I can't make this work I'm out $11 for the reservation, and might switch to Mr Sanchos (where they do have lockers).

but I'll still have at least one piece of electronics with me that will need to be secured.

I can't answer the locker question (did you consider posting on the Cozumel TripAdvisor forum?) but depending on the size of the electronic, you can get water tight bags that go around your waist or neck for items you want to secure. I used a neck pouch and tucked it into my swim suit top when swimming. I can't see where you are from, but consider Amazon or a sports store like MEC or REI if in North America. Just do a test at home as to whether it stays water proof. Mine has despite some pretty heavy wave and tumble action.

I can't answer the locker question (did you consider posting on the Cozumel TripAdvisor forum?) but depending on the size of the electronic, you can get water tight bags that go around your waist or neck for items you want to secure. I used a neck pouch and tucked it into my swim suit top when swimming. I can't see where you are from, but consider Amazon or a sports store like MEC or REI if in North America. Just do a test at home as to whether it stays water proof. Mine has despite some pretty heavy wave and tumble action.

Thanks! I do a lot of Amazon (US). I'll also try the Cozumel forum.

Just a suggestion about your shopping time: you might consider going to Nachi (or Mr Sanchez) first, enjoying your day, having lunch, and then go shopping in San Miguel in the afternoon.

This will let you get your shady spot on the beach, and you will find more stores open in the afternoon than in the early or mid morning.

If you get a waterproof wallet or protector for your electronics, maybe test it first at home with just a sponge or papers inside to guarantee that it is indeed watertight.

Since Nachi is a fairly protected environment, I have left stuff on my lounger while I was in the water, no problem.

Edited by evandbob

Just a suggestion about your shopping time: you might consider going to Nachi (or Mr Sanchez) first, enjoying your day, having lunch, and then go shopping in San Miguel in the afternoon.

This will let you get your shady spot on the beach, and you will find more stores open in the afternoon than in the early or mid morning.

If you get a waterproof wallet or protector for your electronics, maybe test it first at home with just a sponge or papers inside to guarantee that it is indeed watertight.

Since Nachi is a fairly protected environment, I have left stuff on my lounger while I was in the water, no problem.

Thanks, I'll give that some thought. (Reverse order, although somewhat apprehensive about afternoon crowds and heat downtown--five or six ships in port this day, June 10.)

After I did more reading in the Cozumel sub forum, I came to the conclusions that:

1) No lockers at Nachi

2) But as you said, many people mentioned feeling pretty safe with leaving their stuff behind.

3) The quieter environment sounds like NC is still the place for me.

I do need to carry at least an iPad mini with me. I know some people frown on electronics but I'm a writer and I like to edit stuff while relaxing. But I think if it really comes down to it I can get a small tote that can be locked, and just lash it to a lounge chair with a security cable while I'm swimming. (But really, it seems just as likely that I could leave it and it would be fine.)

I'll bring a swim lanyard for cash/ID.

Have you tried the roll call for your cruise to find a group who is planning to go? That way you'd have someone to keep an eye on your stuff when you go in the water, if you are concerned. Also you would have people to split the taxi cost with (assuming you want to go to/from Nachi at the same time they do.)

That's how I did it when I went to Nachi as a solo. It worked out great. I don't carry anything but my ship card, money, credit card though and they fit just fine in the little case that I hang around my neck.

I am not sure if I was there on a slow day, but I know they limit the number of people they have there each day so I don't think it ever gets too crowded to find a good lounger.

I'd highly recommend Nachi. It was a great day.

I was just at Nachi for my fourth time. I left my backpack with money and tablet on my lounge chair each time I went and never had a problem. Did not care for Mr. Sancho's at all.

To answer your second question, even if you get there a bit later, you won't have any trouble finding a spot on the beach. Nachi only accepts 100 reservations per day, so it's never crowded and there's plenty of room for everyone.

• 5 weeks later...
I was just at Nachi for my fourth time. I left my backpack with money and tablet on my lounge chair each time I went and never had a problem. Did not care for Mr. Sancho's at all.

I had the opposite experience. Didn't like Nachi at all. Sand was way too deep the day I was there so you had to duck under the palapa to get to a lounger. Decided to go by the pool. Only had iron chairs to sit in, no pad. Took a pad from another chair and used it. Fajitas so tough couldn't bite them. Salsa HOT!

Loved Sanchos!

• 3 weeks later...