Athens questions

tidygirl

Can you buy tickets to the Acropolis online ahead of time? If not are the line really long?

What times are the changing of the guards?

Any suggestions on the best way to plan our day if we are doing it ourselves?

Can you buy tickets to the Acropolis online ahead of time? If not are the line really long?

What times are the changing of the guards?

Any suggestions on the best way to plan our day if we are doing it ourselves?

Acropolis tickets are in a bundle with a number of historical sites. Instead of buying at the Acropolis, grab them at one of the other sites before you get to the Acropolis. If you don't go anywhere else, don't worry the lines are short for tickets. If I remember correctly the cost is 12 Euro.

Changing of the guard is 11 am at the parliament building in Syntagma Square.

I thought the line for tickets at the Acropolis moved pretty quickly. The Acroplis Museum is worth a visit as well, very well done and also has a terrace with a knockout view of the Acropolis where you can have a nice lunch.

Changing of the guard is 11 am at the parliament building in Syntagma Square.

I thought the line for tickets at the Acropolis moved pretty quickly. The Acroplis Museum is worth a visit as well, very well done and also has a terrace with a knockout view of the Acropolis where you can have a nice lunch.

Same time every day including weekend?

Change of the Guards at Syndagma Sq. is 24/7, *every hour*, on the hour. 1am, 2am. . .7am, 8am, 9am and so on. . . it goes on every hour.

On Sunday morning you get a bigger ceremony, including a small parade and the ceremonial costumes.

Heading to any of them? Plan being there at :50 to get some photos of the monument. Get a position on the sides, along the marble lines in the monument area. Most people head for the center only to be removed from there when the guards arrive. . . so head for the sides nearer to the trees.

The thing lasts appx. 15 minutes. It's considered the very center of the city and our point fo remebrance for those that are missing.

@nick-arch- I just realized out ship won't be in till 12:00 so I was disappointed when I read one post that said changing of the guards was at 11!

You are saying it is every hour? that would be awesome!

Any suggestions how to plan our day as we will probably do it ourselves.

I would definitely like to see the guards and Acropolis!

We are thinking of doing, public transportation but not ruling out a taxi, but not sure if they have taxi vans as there will be 6 of us.

Hello Tidygirl

Beware of taxi drivers in Athens. They like to take advantage of all tourists.

Best to negotiate with driver & confirm exact rate to destination. Carry cash ( Euros ) for payment. Most drivers have no conscious & will not take the shortest route so they can increase the fare. Doubt you will find a vehicle to carry 6 people, therefore likely you will need two taxis. Good luck... John

The HOHO buses are a great way to get around Athens. There are (were) two different operators when we were there last time. I believe they were right around 20 Euros/person with many stops including Acropolis and Syntagma Square. We will be using them again in October.

I echo the word of caution about possibility of overcharging by taxi drivers and also echo the great advise for the ho-ho bus. It's not cheap by any means. . . a taxi should be 20 - 25 euros each way for 4 people, still with a hoho bus you get the bus, double decker, they get you from / to near the cruise ship, you get an open air ( shaded ) area on top, some basic guidance etc.

As for suggestions on how to organise your day. . . you are sailing in at midday?

and departing? what time frame are we talking about? and month?

If it's summer time, Acropolis site remains open till 8pm. . . so i 'd tend to leave later in the day to avoid the extreme heat if we are talking about a summer visit. . .

What i 'd try to cover in a short day visit if i was visiting alone and walking would be Plaka area, perhaps Anafiotika, Acropolis Museum, Acropolis site and Mars of Hill right near to site exit. These if you are walking the thing. . .

Acropolis Musuem to get a quick walk around and escape midday heat / lunch there, Plaka area to walk around some souvie shops. . . Anafiotika here: http://www.diaforetiko.gr/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/43817045.jpg , Acropolis site of course, and Mars Hill ( Areiopagos ) to get some great views of the city.

Other than that it's always a matter of hpw much time are we talking about. . . i am complete sucker for views, so i 'd try to get a taxi to Lycabettus funicular and go up the hill. . . it's right in the center but needs some time and is suitable for somewhat longer days. . . later in the day. . . perhaps sunset time if you have the luxury of time.

Yeap, change of the Guards is also an option. . . every hour on the hour. . . Syndagma area where this is located is the very center. . . a 20 minutes walk fropm where Acropolis Museum area. Syndagma is noisy, Plaka is pedestrian and quiet. I like more pedestrian areas cause they are quieter.

You can also use one of the reputable walking tour companies. As an Athens local i am not allowed from forum guidelines to suggest local companies, still with some digging in perhpas Trip Advisor you can find them. It's 4 - 5 of them. I have my favs but not suggesting anything here.

Athens is a pretty big place. . . mazy, 4 - 5 milliopn people, long distance of seaport to the center where the sites are. . . it has been like this for milleniums. . . with careful organising you can certainly accomplish a lot. . . ( less is more also ) and make this an extremely succesful port of call. Definitely one of the highlights of a Med cruise but also a difficult port of call due to the size of the place and the distances. . . still most points of interest are in the very center and walkable from each other. . .

More here: Athens attractions

We will be there Oct 6 (Tues) from 12:00 to 8:30 but am pretty sure we will have to be back on the ship by 8:00. Walking is not a problem for us as we are a very active family and at times have walked 10+ miles a day.

I'm glad to hear the changing of the guards is every hour instead of just at 11:00.

How much would the metro cost to get into the main area (near the Acropolis and changing of the guards?) Which train and stop should we get off?

We will be there Oct 6 (Tues) from 12:00 to 8:30 but am pretty sure we will have to be back on the ship by 8:00. Walking is not a problem for us as we are a very active family and at times have walked 10+ miles a day.

I'm glad to hear the changing of the guards is every hour instead of just at 11:00.

How much would the metro cost to get into the main area (near the Acropolis and changing of the guards?) Which train and stop should we get off?

Just like with the US Tomb of the Unknowns in Arlington the Greek tomb is guarded 24/7/365. The fanciest change ceremony occurs on Sunday Mornings at 11:00. The guards wear a more formal uniform that day, and there is usually a parade. It is a moving ceremony and should not be missed.

Here is the guard on a day other than Sunday

4694526100_f5ea18445c_b.jpg[/url]

These are the guard uniforms on a Sunday. They are walking down from the Acropolis after raising the flag on Sunday morning prior to the parade.

4693918803_b64bfcb5cc_b.jpg

For a midday - 8.30pm visit you 'll definitely have to be back at 8pm, which if you do it on public transportation would mean arriving at Piraeus subway station at 7.30pm = leave Athens center at around 6.30pm - 7pm. Definitely leave some buffer time in there. You can always of course take a taxi at 7.15 pm at its latest which will get you down to port at 7.45pm.

For an October visit i 'd start directly from Acropolis site and leave Change of the Guards for the end.

Acropolis site is the top site, it won't be THAT hot in October and crowds will be mostly gone then. . . you 'll definitely meet some of your co passengers, still the big number of visitors arrive earlier that that. You 'll be at Acropolis site at around 1.30pm i 'd guess and you 'll need at least an hour - 90 minutes for a quick round.

Directly after exiting the site do the Mars Hill visit. It's a quick one and will give a good glimpse of the coty from lower height and marvellous views to the Acropolis monument for some extra photos.

So. . . i'd start right from Acropolis site. Top 1 priority and would get some of the tight timed visit pressure off to do it first :) Moreover off season opening times ( starting at Nov1st ) are 8 to 3, they may get some opening times like 8 to 5 in October depending weather and visitors, so starting first thing from it is the best way to cover any unexpected opening time hickups.

What to do next depends on your interests. Acropolis is a higher point, a hill and you can practically go to many places depending your interests and the streets you follow.

You can either head down to Agora and Temple of Hephaestus, you can either head to Acropolis Museum, then either way you go to walk in Plaka and end at Syndagma to see the Change of the Guards and head back to port from there.

Ticket is 1.20 euros per person for 70 minutes. If you are planning to use public transportation all the way to and back, then a day ticket for 4 euros per person is the best option. It covers you for 24hrs unlimited hop on hop off in metro, buses, trams etc in the city, except airport trips. Seaport trips included.

Remember you have to validate ( stamp ) any ticket b4 using it first time.