Good Hotel to stay in in Galveston??

autumn1545

Harbor House is suppose to be a nice hotel--will be staying there in Oct for 1st time. Costing us $119+taxes--it is at the port so can walk from hotel to the terminal. They charge $30 to park car at hotel for the cruise.

We stayed at the Holiday Inn On the Beach on Seawall Blvd. Very reasonable, nice and clean, GREAT breakfast (not free though), FREE shuttle service to the cruise, FREE parking, and FREE shuttle back from the cruise to get your car. Everything went great and we will definitely stay there again, but DH and I are going to try Harbor House in May 2011 for our next cruise because we want to watch the ships coming into the harbor and we can just walk to the cruise terminal. :)

We will be leaving from Galveston for our first cruise. What is a nice hotel that is reasonable and close to port to stay in for one night?

We stayed at the harbour house for our last cruise. Cruise terminal is walking distance from the hotel, lots of restaurants in the area and you have the strand just up the street. In the mornng you can watch the ship dock right in front of you (realy cool). The only problem was customer service a little slow.

Dave

Harbor House is the only hotel close to the port.

Others will have free cruise parking (almost all).

Howard Johnson's has free parking and Discount Parking is across the street with $5 pp shuttle you can get.

When are you going?? Winter months you can get some cheap deals on the seawall.

You will be quite happy at the Harbor House plus for a small fee you can leave your auto there. Last trip we stayed at Holiday Inn Express, paid a bundle, then had to wait over an hr in the hot sun for the shuttle when we arrived back. They lied and said it was on its way.

Harbor House is the only hotel close to the port.

Others will have free cruise parking (almost all).

Howard Johnson's has free parking and Discount Parking is across the street with $5 pp shuttle you can get.

When are you going?? Winter months you can get some cheap deals on the seawall.

Tremont Hotel is two blocks from terminal.

It is owned by same as Harbor House and Galvez(on Seawall and Gulf).

Harbor House is suppose to be a nice hotel--will be staying there in Oct for 1st time. Costing us $119+taxes--it is at the port so can walk from hotel to the terminal.

Do you think the walk is do-able even with luggage?

If Hotel Galvez or Tremont is within your budget, stay there. Parking is $16 for the night you stay and free to park there for the length of the cruise and secure covered parking. They also shuttle you to the ship and pick you up on return.

Do you think the walk is do-able even with luggage?

Depends on how much luggage you have!! I would say it is do-able with one large wheeled luggage and a small wheeled carryon per person. At least we are going to try it. You can always take the luggage over in the car, drop it off, then return to HH to park and then walk back to terminal.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think the Harbor House has availability for only a one night stay the week we're going (Thanksgiving). If the Tremont is only 2 blocks from the terminal, would it be possible to drop off our luggage, return our car to the hotel parking lot & walk back over? I'm trying to avoid having to wait too long for transportation when we return from our cruise. If it's doable, I figured one of us could walk to the car & bring it back to the terminal to pick up our luggage.

• 2 weeks later...
anyone know anything about econolodge on avenue U It is really affordable and we really only need it for a place to sleep because the rest of the time we are in galveston we are going to be out and about checking out all the sights

I don't know how much Econolodge is charging, but I just paid $52 for Country Suites & Inn through Orbitz. It offers free breakfast buffet, overlooks the water, rooms have balconies, free internet & HBO, etc. Plus it received good reviews in Trip Advisor.

I don't know how much Econolodge is charging, but I just paid $52 for Country Suites & Inn through Orbitz. It offers free breakfast buffet, overlooks the water, rooms have balconies, free internet & HBO, etc. Plus it received good reviews in Trip Advisor.

I know how much the room rates are I was wanting feedback on what kind of cleanliness and service it might have. I have read some reviews that were good and some not so good. Maybe they are just trolls making bad reviews so they can get more guests for their hotels but who knows. So maybe I am worrying about nothing

The Econolodge is across the Street from Gaido's and 1/2 block to the beach. Have never stayed there as we live a few blocks away, but it appears to be a nice motel.

HMMM maybe you could go check it out for me and then let me know before I get there in January. LOL The room rates are fabulous for being right in Galveston and like I said we are only going to need a bed to sleep in for a few nights because the rest of the time we will be out and about.

So if you are in Galveston, tell me where the best places to eat , and what are the best sights or attractions for out of townies to check out.

Gaido's, right acros the street, will celebrate its 100th anniversary next year. Great food, white table cloth, but not fussy. It's Galveston, don't need to dress up.

We have lots of great restaurants owned by locals. Some of the sights to see are The Strand and Post Office Sts.(downtown), Tall Ship Elissa and Texas seaport museum, Bishop's Palace, Moody Mansion, Moody Gardens and so much more.

Check out Galveston.com for more info and what is going on in January.

e-mail me at mbranum1@hotmail.com

Someone told me they had a great stay at Econolodge .. then they were just there and there were some problems. Their a/c ..so they had to change rooms and said there were a few maintenance issues this time.

Since you dont need a/c in January ...

I will be there Sept 25th. .. unless I cancel and book Howard Johnson's. .. but I loved walking on the beach and all and Howard Johnson's is not near anything. .. but its across from Discount parking and you can shuttle to the port for $5 and park free at Howard Johnson's.

Archived