Juneau - cab or car? Lunch recommendations & itinerary tweaks

victw

Hi all,

We are in port at Juneau between 11 and 8. We booked the gardens for 12:30 and the plan is after the gardens to go up to Mendenhall and do two hikes - Nugget Falls and East Glacier.

The shuttles do not look like a good option because they do not allow for a stop at the gardens and they stop running at 6. We'd like to enjoy our time at Mendenhall and don't want to feel rushed to get back. Because we aren't trying to do too much I thought a cab might do the trick (we are also considering the bus - but don't want to lose a lot of time waiting for the bus.

I don't think we will want to take an early lunch on the ship. But I also don't think we will want to go back to town from the gardens to get lunch. A couple of thoughts have occurred - we pick up some kind of picnic lunch to have after the gardens - but before or at Mendenhall. If so - where's a good place to pick up a lunch that will keep for a couple of hours? I've also looked for restaurants on the way from the Gardens to the glacier but nothing stands out - any recommendations? One of us is a vegetarian.

Do you think a car would be a better option than a cab?

We are also considering the Mt. Roberts tram for the early evening. But will do this based on weather and timing.

Thanks.

Vic

I would not have booked a Glacier Garden tour, easy to just walk up, or call when you are there. . Absolutely get a car. Far better option for your choices. You are looking at around 4 hours of hiking at Mendenhall, Only other option would be to cab around.

I'd just suggest a stop at Fred Meyer for a lunch pick up. Would have plenty of options for all the preferences. Plus maybe a better use of time. Don't be carrying the food around with you however.

Good question. We are doing the same thing first week of August. Hadn't thought about lunch. We have a car all set. Other lunch ideas?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Forums mobile app

I'm assuming you are out by Auke Bay, Mendenhall? Parking is more challenging downtown Anchorage.

I like Hot Bites, Deharts is OK for a grab and go- if you are there when the food is fresh. I also have no problem eating in either Safeway or Fred Meyer's who does have a good assortment at grocery prices. For a meal priority, I like Twisted Fish next to Taku Smokery, always- Tracy's is good. I also like The Hanger. these are all walkable from cruise docks.

Good question. We are doing the same thing first week of August. Hadn't thought about lunch. We have a car all set. Other lunch ideas?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Forums mobile app

The Hot Bite is expensive, takes forever, and I've heard the food's gone downhill. I stopped going at expensive.

Auke Bay has a couple other great options. Gonzo AK and Devil's Hideway are both in the long building across the highway from DeHart's. Gonzo is eclectic, all handmade food. They're known for their waffles--which can come with things like root vegetables or Korean short ribs, so not just a dessert item--but have great sandwiches too. Devil's Hideaway is in the Squirz Rest bar, so is very good grub but no one under 21 can enter, unfortunately.

IGA supermarket on the way out of downtown has really good grocery food, vastly superior to Fred Meyers or Safeway. They have a full salad bar, hot dishes including hot sandwiches to go, and a wide variety of cold sandwiches.

There's a McDonald's and Subway at the McNugget (don't ask) intersection if you want to keep it simple. There's a McGivney's (owned by Tracy of Tracy's Crab Shack fame, and has the famous bisque and rolls) on the way to the glacier too.

The 'best kept secret in Juneau' is the Sandbar and Grill. The grill is separate from the bar, so children can enter. The best deep friend halibut is Southeast Alaska, IMO.

we rented for juneau car rental,and it was just right for us. We ate plenty on the ship before leaving,and packed plenty of trail mix and power bars.(and water) we drove out to Mendenhall,did Nugget falls,etc right around the center,then took east glacier trail. All told, the east glacier trail took a solid 2+ hours,and it goes UP. So be aware of that,depending on which way you start it, it's a LOT of switchbacks.or stairs. We started at Visitor center,and ended at parking area It was really really pretty,we loved it! I would say just what we did took us from about 1-7 p.m. Fortunately we docked right next to the car rental place(it's tiny) but for 4 people it was our best deal anyway.

we rented for juneau car rental,and it was just right for us.

We've rented from Juneau Car Rental several times although when we are there on May 21, we rented from Alamo for $18/day. Kind of inconvenient to have to get to the airport but good savings.

I'm reading this and looking at maps and still a little confused. We have 12 of us doing a whale watch with Harv&Marv, then at least some of us want to taxi directly from the whale watch trip (in Auke Bay??) to Mendenhall to hike awhile before going back to ship.

My question is -- is it possible to get a quick bite to eat near where we get done with the whale watch trip (Auke Bay/ not going back to cruise ship) BEFORE we get the taxi to take us to Mendenhall? thank you for any ideas or clarification

The Hot Bite is near the parking area for Harv n Marv. There’s also a couple of restaurants within a 10 minute walk from there. One of them is GonZo. More of a local’s place that serves ecelectic waffles among other things like sandwiches. Friends in Juneau recommended it. It was very good.

I'm reading this and looking at maps and still a little confused. We have 12 of us doing a whale watch with Harv&Marv, then at least some of us want to taxi directly from the whale watch trip (in Auke Bay??) to Mendenhall to hike awhile before going back to ship.

My question is -- is it possible to get a quick bite to eat near where we get done with the whale watch trip (Auke Bay/ not going back to cruise ship) BEFORE we get the taxi to take us to Mendenhall? thank you for any ideas or clarification

My response upthread: Gonzo AK and Devil's Hideaway are across Glacier Highway from the harbor. I wouldn't describe it as a 10 minute walk. You climb the hill up from the harbor, cross the highway at the roundabout, and they're both in the long building.

• 3 weeks later...

FYI - Just got back from the trip. There are no picnic benches at Mendenhall and lots of NO FOOD signs.

We took the bus to Glacier Gardens - saw some beautiful Eagles - but I think it was a little early for the gardens. We did get some good info that explained some of the things we saw on our hike in Ketchikan.

We took a cab from the Gardens to Mendenhall. And caught a shared cab back from Mendenhall.

The bus does not run frequently - but we got lucky and did not have to wait long for bus or cabs. A rental car might have been just a little more - but I couldn't really wrap my head around renting a car for just one day.

Thanks.

Vic

We took the bus to Glacier Gardens - saw some beautiful Eagles - but I think it was a little early for the gardens. We did get some good info that explained some of the things we saw on our hike in Ketchikan.

If I had known you were going in May, I would have advised against the gardens. Yes - you were too early! Made that mistake once.