My first balcony

zdub86

Hello. I just booked my first cruise in 9 years. It will be my honeymoon, getting married in November and leaving for the cruise in February. It will be my fiancee's first ever cruise so she's really excited and also nervous. As a wedding/honeymoon gift, my parents upgraded our room to a balcony. I've been on 3 cruises and have not had the balcony before but I keep hearing great things about it so I'm very excited!! Just one quick question... I have been reading about how everyone with a balcony loves to wake up to the natural light coming through the window/door. That's great and all, but are there no curtains AT ALL?? I ask because we like it VERY dark when we are sleeping and we may not want to wake up as soon as the sun rises, especially after a night of drinking. Please tell me the balcony rooms have at least curtains or shades on the windows. Thanks!!

Hello. I just booked my first cruise in 9 years. It will be my honeymoon, getting married in November and leaving for the cruise in February. It will be my fiancee's first ever cruise so she's really excited and also nervous. As a wedding/honeymoon gift, my parents upgraded our room to a balcony. I've been on 3 cruises and have not had the balcony before but I keep hearing great things about it so I'm very excited!! Just one quick question... I have been reading about how everyone with a balcony loves to wake up to the natural light coming through the window/door. That's great and all, but are there no curtains AT ALL?? I ask because we like it VERY dark when we are sleeping and we may not want to wake up as soon as the sun rises, especially after a night of drinking. Please tell me the balcony rooms have at least curtains or shades on the windows. Thanks!!

There are curtains. Thick curtains on every ship I've been on.

Usually the entire width of the stateroom is glass at the balcony, with a slider or door for access. The full width is well covered, typically with a sheer and a light darkening drape. Very much like a hotel. You can let in as little or as much natural light as you wish. And as to privacy, only the waves can see inside. The balconies also have privacy dividers between yours and your neighbors.

Enjoy your balcony - that's the only type of stateroom with cruise with!

Edited by leaveitallbehind

My first cruise as well in late September on the NCL Jewel.

How big are the balconies? LOL I'm somewhat scared of heights. Lucky enough the balcony was $30 cheaper than my original outside with picture window.

Midship, 10th deck.

If anything, at least I have more window and glass. I'm fine looking straight out but looking down might need some work. :)

If you're afraid of heights, simply don't stand at the railing and look down! Sit in the chair on the balcony, and look straight ahead!

Yes, there are curtains...and if you close them, the cabin is dark! Having fresh air without needing to dress and put on makeup is a HUGE bonus!

• 1 month later...