Canon PowerShot SX50., SX60 and Panasonic LUMIX DMC-FZ70

Jimbo

Anyone ever had 2 or all 3 of these models to compare for me? Which you liked better? Easiest to use? etc.

Jimbo:)

Over on dpreview they have a side by side comparison tool

The SX60 is a generation newer than the others - and has a higher resolution viewfinder.

I've been happy with an older, larger Panasonic camera - the FZ50. That camera is larger, larger sensor, better lens - but much more primitive electronics [2 generations older].

I bought the Panasonic FZ70 as a stop-gap camera two years ago. I now use it as a secondary camera to my DSLR and Mirrorless cameras. What I like is the wide range of lens available in a small package for grab-it photo opportunities. It is fairly fast to respond when turned on.

The Powershot SX series are excellent cameras for people who don't want to fiddle around with multiple lenses. The zoom is fantastic and the settings allow you play around with shutter speed, etc, if you wish, or you can stick to the various modes.

I have not played with the newer models, since I moved up to a DSLR. But I beat the hell out of my SX for two years, taking it out in snow, hurricanes, cold football fields and house fires as well as more pretty things.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 1 month later...

Ok I just picked up a Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ70 for $140

Now i need a crash course in how to get the best pictures from it.

I have about 25 days to learn the best setting and so forth.

Anyone want to lead me the way?

I also have the SX-40 and love it. DW recently purchased a 30X Panasonic. The Panasonic is smaller and lighter. So far the Panasonic takes pretty good pictures and has a viewfinder and easy access screen modes. That said, I'm keeping the Canon and letting DW take the Panasonic.

Ok I just picked up a Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ70 for $140

Now i need a crash course in how to get the best pictures from it.

I have about 25 days to learn the best setting and so forth.

Anyone want to lead me the way?

Here's a link to some tutorials on Panasonic's web site.

If you have an actual camera store nearby, they may have some classes [composition, an eye for available light, use of flash..]

Another resource is the Panasonic forum over on DP Review

There's always the 'take lots of pictures' option ;p

I'm assuming the camera has an 'intelligent auto' mode [indicated by a red square on my FZ-50] that tells the camera to 'use your best judgment'. This includes focusing on faces, recognizing backlighting, and even tracking some types of moving subjects with focus.

The movie modes will also have automatic features.

The auto modes will produce fine results for exposure & focus most of the time - the other modes [P, A, S, M] are for the times you want to override what the auto mode is likely to be doing.

What are the P, S, A and M used for?

Also found the button that flips up the flash but what mode do you have to be in for the flash to actually have the flash, flash?

and it has like a eye piece you can look through, I assumed that is used when it's real bright out and can't see the screen good....but how do you switch over to that so something in the eye finder is showing something, right now ir always seems to be black.

What are the P, S, A and M used for?

These are modes when you want to take direct control or override the camera's automatic operation - it's telling the automatic features to 'pull over and let me drive' when you think you can do better.

• P - less intelligent automatic
  • S - pick shutter speed, camera picks aperture
  • A - pick aperture, camera picks shutter speed
  • M - pick both, fully manual operation

There is no reason to use these modes until you have the experience to say 'the camera will probably not take the picture the way I want it'.

Also found the button that flips up the flash but what mode do you have to be in for the flash to actually have the flash, flash?

In the IA [intelligent auto] and some of the scene modes [e,g, portrait, night portrait] the flash will fire when the camera thinks is is just too dark, or the backlighting is too strong.

The flash is fairly short range - less than 20 feet.

and it has like a eye piece you can look through, I assumed that is used when it's real bright out and can't see the screen good....but how do you switch over to that so something in the eye finder is showing something, right now ir always seems to be black.

The viewfinder is your friend.

You can use it when taking pictures where you cannot even see the back screen [on my FZ-50 I tend to flip the screen closed against the back of the camera and use the viewfinder for 99% of shots]

The viewfinder also lets you support the camera closer to your body, and use your head to make fine adjustments - even with the image stabilization this is most helpful with the telephoto [narrow angle] side of the zoom range.

I tend to use the screen mostly just to review photos - that 1% of the time I use it to frame photos when using the viewfinder is awkward .

I can't get anything through the view finder at all, there is kind of a dial right up by the view finder and I turn it both way like you think it would open up and close the view but either I'm doing something wrong or it's broke I guess.

The dial by the viewfinder is usually something that customizes the viewfinder to your eyes and your eyeglass prescription. There should be a button that alternates between the viewfinder and the screen,

I have a Panasonic FZ70 that has traveled the world with us and has done a great job. It has been replaced with a Panasonic ZS40 (current model is ZS50, I believe). It is pocketable, lighter in weight and does the same job for the type of pictures we take. Not professional, but great for us and our family.

The smaller size and Leica zoom telephoto lens are the main attractions for us.

The dial by the viewfinder is usually something that customizes the viewfinder to your eyes and your eyeglass prescription. There should be a button that alternates between the viewfinder and the screen,

Now I see how the dials works.

Page 10 of the owners manual indicates the viewfinder button is marked as #27 on the diagram - its the button closest to the viewfinder.

Okay found it, thanks. It works as it should now.

I have a Panasonic FZ70 that has traveled the world with us and has done a great job. It has been replaced with a Panasonic ZS40 (current model is ZS50, I believe). It is pocketable, lighter in weight and does the same job for the type of pictures we take. Not professional, but great for us and our family.

That camera seems to be a little higher priced then what I was looking to buy at this time and I wanted some better zoom since I might be taking some of this pictures off the back of a cruise ship while we are cruising up the coast of California and when we are on the Alaska portion of our cruises.

The Panny ZS70 just came out last week. The ZS50 is being cleared out at Costco for under $200 - if you can still find them!

Sent from my iPad using Forums