1st time cruise questions

Starlight25

im sailing on Anthem of the seas January 2018 and have the following questions:-

1. If i dont have a drinks package which locations can i get free coffee, lemonade etc apart from the buffet and main dining areas.?

2.can i take any soft drinks on board, sailing from cape liberty?

3.whats the best time to board, to avoid queues?

4.i want to use my smartphone for photos and filming, how safe is it to use in the western carribean locations?

5 ive heard people talk about 25ft waves hitting cruise ships, which scares me, is this likely to happen? Or how does it affect the ship?

6.is it best to link credit card with seapass or add cash to it?

ive heard people talk about 25ft waves hitting cruise ships, which scares me, is this likely to happen? Or how does it affect the ship?

It is VERY VERY unusual in the south Atlantic esp the Caribbean

how it affects the ship depends on the seamanship skills of the ship's officers ..... handled correctly, you won't even know it happened.

Handled poorly the ship could see a list of say 10 degrees. On a properly secured ship, this is nothing .... on a cruise ship like the many I've been on it could mean a grand piano is running across the room .....

But the ship will not 'tip over' or sink ....

this picture illustrates the difference from 'horizon' to ship of a 15 degree roll ......

listbibb.jpg

a 15 degree roll would be HUGE on a cruise ship .....

I've seen cruisers claim they were on a cruise with a 60 degree roll ......

listcougar.jpg

Edited by Capt_BJ

Any time after noon the lines disappear When you check in they take your cc number and link it to you sea pass. Any thing you purchase onboard from gift shop to specialty dinning to daily gratuities are purchased with your sea pass card. They are added to your account throughout the week and billed to your cc on the last night. If you have been given any OBC you will start the week with a credit on your account. happy cruising

ive heard people talk about 25ft waves hitting cruise ships, which scares me, is this likely to happen? Or how does it affect the ship?

I've seen cruisers claim they were on a cruise with a 60 degree roll ......

listcougar.jpg

Maybe those claiming to experience a 60 degree roll were just getting off a barstool after a 10 hour drunkathon appy cruising

1. If i dont have a drinks package which locations can i get free coffee, lemonade etc apart from the buffet and main dining areas.?

You're asking about between-meals drinks, right? Water and coffee are available on the Promenade. Sodas can be purchased individually at any bar, though the bartenders do tend to prioritize alcohol-drinkers (who tend to tip more) over soda drinkers.

Probably. I say "probably" because they are technically not allowed, but this rule is usually ignored. Don't push it by bringing a large quantity. Pack them in a double ziplock bag.

We always arrive at the terminal around 10:00. We like being first onboard and starting our vacation early.

4.i want to use my smartphone for photos and filming, how safe is it to use in the western carribean locations?

Perfectly safe. Just beware of pickpockets. But, as a photography teacher, I'll throw this out: a camera will give you better quality pictures.

5 ive heard people talk about 25ft waves hitting cruise ships, which scares me, is this likely to happen? Or how does it affect the ship?

Incredibly unlikely.

Use your credit card. If you put down cash, you'll have to estimate your spending ... and if you undershoot /overshoot you'll have to go to guest services (which can mean standing in a long line) to either put down more /retrieve the excess. On the other hand, if you give your credit card number, you can spend what you want and no "settling up" at the end.

You know, you're allowed to use capital letters here.

You're asking about between-meals drinks, right? Water and coffee are available on the Promenade. Sodas can be purchased individually at any bar, though the bartenders do tend to prioritize alcohol-drinkers (who tend to tip more) over soda drinkers.

Probably. I say "probably" because they are technically not allowed, but this rule is usually ignored. Don't push it by bringing a large quantity. Pack them in a double ziplock bag.

We always arrive at the terminal around 10:00. We like being first onboard and starting our vacation early.

Perfectly safe. Just beware of pickpockets. But, as a photography teacher, I'll throw this out: a camera will give you better quality pictures.

Incredibly unlikely.

Use your credit card. If you put down cash, you'll have to estimate your spending ... and if you undershoot /overshoot you'll have to go to guest services (which can mean standing in a long line) to either put down more /retrieve the excess. On the other hand, if you give your credit card number, you can spend what you want and no "settling up" at the end.

You know, you're allowed to use capital letters here.

MrsPete - all great answers and thanks for the smile you gave me on the last comment!!

I think new technology (iPhone 7+) produces some amazing pictures; and they can be downloaded onto external drives as needed. I prefer cash as it limits my spending and gives me math opportunities. I go to Guest Services the day before disembarkation to settle my account. The ship is like a Weeble in the water. Just buy the soda package! All included meal/buffet areas have drinks stations, and the coffee shop has a free area. Pretty much all the time you can get water, coffee, lemonade, hot or cold tea.... If you want more than a little cup, pack a nice big insulated lidded mug to carry around.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I always get a water package. That way we have a ready supply of premium water in the stateroom. We take one of the empty water bottles and fill it with orange juice from the breakfast buffet. We use that to make mimosas in the room with the champagne we carried on board.

Sent from my iPad using Forums