Double Decker Hop on Hop off busses just arrived.

Catañoy

We stayed in Condado at a VRBO on Ashford Ave in January 2015. Our taxi from there to port was $20 plus $1 each suitcase plus tip. Could be higher now though since that was close to two years ago! We also took the bus (21) into OSJ on our full free day since we had no luggage and no time limits. That was 75 cents.

We are in port from 7am-1pm, so not long unless we get up early! and not that keen on this as I'm on holiday and have a teenager in tow!

Wonder if we can do the 75 minute HOHO and stop for a quick swim at the beach and be back for sail away without being up too early?

Not travelling until next summer so will keep an eye on these boards to see how the HOHO works and the itinerary.

Gillian

If you've never been to Old San Juan it would be more relaxing to just explore the old city on foot, visit a fort, etc.:)

• 2 weeks later...
Since this is a free ride, it is usually packed full. If you get off, you may have a long wait to find a seat to get back on. Most people seem to use it for a full ride without getting off.

We have found best to take the tram from ship to El Morro, and then walk/meander back to ship (for most part downhill!)

• 2 months later...
We have found best to take the tram from ship to El Morro, and then walk/meander back to ship (for most part downhill!)

Any idea approximately how long it takes to do a loop?

I mean how much time should I allocate to take the tram from ship to El Morro, and then walk/meander back to ship?

I'm looking for just the transportation time involved (Tram to get there and walk back) and not including the time for exploring the old fort.

Thanks,

Edited by Cwipes

I think it would depend on which trolley you catch. the City Hall route does the shopping areas, but the combo route goes to both forts and the shopping, which takes longer and the Forts route hits primarily the forts, turns around and comes back. But if you miss one you may have to wait a long time for another. I know its a 30 minute leisurely walk back down from El Morro to Pier 4. We caught the out bound trolley at San Cristobal and it was a 10 minute 3 stop ride to El Morro from there. Because the El Morro Route outbound by passes the shopping and goes around the other side of the Plaza Colon, with only 4 stops, and 2 are not near the piers, I'd say it'd be 10-15 minutes to San Cristobal if that long.

Depending on the number of ships in port, you might wish to head toward stop 14 near pier 1 , it's the last stop and usually less crowded than Stop #1 at Pier 4.

Thanks for the information.

Well, our ships is scheduled to Dock in SJ at 3:00PM and we are scheduled for dinner at 5:30PM with the ship departing at 10:00PM.

Not sure if I'm going to be able to do anything with that schedule.

• 2 weeks later...