Over the door shoe organizer

ilovetotravel1977

We always take one and have never had a problem finding a place to hang it that doesn't interfere with door operation. We've mostly put it on a closet door, although once it worked on a bathroom door without interfering with shutting it.

With five of us sharing a room, it's a must have. Everyone gets their own pocket for their key card and sunglasses and are trained to put them in there when they enter the room. I can only imagine how much time would be spent searching for those items otherwise!

We always take one and have never had a problem finding a place to hang it that doesn't interfere with door operation. We've mostly put it on a closet door, although once it worked on a bathroom door without interfering with shutting it.

With five of us sharing a room, it's a must have. Everyone gets their own pocket for their key card and sunglasses and are trained to put them in there when they enter the room. I can only imagine how much time would be spent searching for those items otherwise!

And cameras, chords, sun lotion, etc etc etc...I'd rather have this stuff in the pockets than the counters.

The first one I bought had opaque pockets. It was too hard to use. Then i finally found one with clear pockets - much better and much more useful.

WE hang it on the bathroom door and use the clips which come with it that are fairly easy to use:

31tQ2UJTDKL.jpg

My favourite though are these collapsible storage bins. I bought them at the dollar store. They work GREAT on celebrity ships as they fit right into overhead storage. Each kid gets two bins. I will bring them on future (non-X cruises) even if we have put them on the floor - so handy! They weight next to nothing and fit on the bottom of a suitcase

144.jpg

The first one I bought had opaque pockets. It was too hard to use. Then i finally found one with clear pockets - much better and much more useful.

WE hang it on the bathroom door and use the clips which come with it that are fairly easy to use:

31tQ2UJTDKL.jpg

I just bought one like this. I got it at Walmart for like $8. The Dollarama had the opaque ones for $2, but the above one is much sturdier and the clear pockets makes life so much easier!

I am going to buy a pop-up hamper from the dollarama for our dirty clothes and just keep it in a corner of the cabin.

Since we've been bringing dd, I've always brought an over the door hanger. I've never tried in on the bathroom door since the towels are usually in the way inside and it seems so in the way on the outside. I usually put in on the outside of the closet door. Once the hooks didn't work but I always bring the command strips that are for pictures. They're basically sticky velcro strips with the removable command backing. They works great and then you can put it anywhere, even on a wall.

Since we've been bringing dd, I've always brought an over the door hanger. I've never tried in on the bathroom door since the towels are usually in the way inside and it seems so in the way on the outside. I usually put in on the outside of the closet door. Once the hooks didn't work but I always bring the command strips that are for pictures. They're basically sticky velcro strips with the removable command backing. They works great and then you can put it anywhere, even on a wall.

And they stick well to the material?

Yes they do. I just keep the ones attached to the material so they don't be replaced next time and then just bring new ones for the wall/door. I put three horizontally along the top and three on the bottom. I use the same thing on the inside door on my dd closet since the door won't close with the hooks. There I use extras along the side because she has a lot of shoes and it gets heavy. :) I also bring the command strip hooks for extra hanging spots for damp clothes. There are never enough hooks and nothing dries in the bathroom.

The walls are magnetic. I found that out by mistake when my dd was two and we brought a tinbox mermaid set and she started sticking the dolls on the wall instead of in the box. It made a much better canvas to play on than a little box.

Those bracelets are a good idea. I haven't let her have a card yet, but I could use one of those myself.

I just love the over the door organizer, and have used it on every cruise since reading about the idea on CC years ago. But instead of the shoe organizers, I prefer a multipurpose over the door organizer, not made especially for shoes (see picture below). It will have a variety of pocket sizes and depths to accommodate different items. Though deceiving from the picture, it has 29 pockets in all. The upper pockets are opaque enough to see through, and the lower pockets are fabric, but low enough and hang open to see what's inside. It worked so well, that when we got home from that first cruise, the organizer went right on the back of our linen closet, and I eventually bought another for our next trip.

ff498dd98816eb2e3daefee770e9afc7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by mustangfan

I just bought one like this. I got it at Walmart for like $8. The Dollarama had the opaque ones for $2, but the above one is much sturdier and the clear pockets makes life so much easier!

I am going to buy a pop-up hamper from the dollarama for our dirty clothes and just keep it in a corner of the cabin.

The problem with the pop-up hamper is that it is small and will fill fast. I bring clear garbage bags. Easy for the cabin steward to see that it is not garbage. I usually sit it in the closet. When full, it gets emptied into a suit case (you could the same the thing with a pop-up hamper, you just have to empty it more often.!)

Instead of buying your lanyards, ask your rainbow-loom loving child to get looming. You can buy the rings from michaels or any craft store. We actually bought lobster claws from michaels and small rings. She put a small wring on each end of the rainbow loom. Then those got threaded into the circle on the lobster claw. Then the punched sea pass card goes on the lobster claw.

k2-_c5cb86a8-1eb7-48a6-9627-98dbee15aaaf.v2.jpg

5e0ad0f0cec87d7cc6592d536008eda0.jpg

Instead of buying your lanyards, ask your rainbow-loom loving child to get looming. You can buy the rings from michaels or any craft store. We actually bought lobster claws from michaels and small rings. She put a small wring on each end of the rainbow loom. Then those got threaded into the circle on the lobster claw. Then the punched sea pass card goes on the lobster claw.

k2-_c5cb86a8-1eb7-48a6-9627-98dbee15aaaf.v2.jpg

5e0ad0f0cec87d7cc6592d536008eda0.jpg

The reason I like the wrist coil is because having anything around my neck 24-hours a day, and in the heat, would drive me insane.

The reason I like the wrist coil is because having anything around my neck 24-hours a day, and in the heat, would drive me insane.

If you have a child who does rainbow loom, they could loom wristlets.

I know my daughter enjoyed making them - everyone picked their favorite colour. We had lots of people ask us where we bought them :D

My daughter even made several colours for herself, so she could change it up with what she was wearing. The lobster claw made it easy for her to change.

One our last cruise, we were told the cruise lines were getting where they did not want the shoe hangers because they were messing up the doors. So I zip-tied ours to a hanger and hung it on the large hook on the wall. Worked very well. Also, we tried the magnets for the walls to hang our bathing suits. Since the walls are so slick, they just slide to the floor. So we now take clothes pins and hang the suits in the shower or on the balcony. Love the idea of the coil bracelets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One our last cruise, we were told the cruise lines were getting where they did not want the shoe hangers because they were messing up the doors. So I zip-tied ours to a hanger and hung it on the large hook on the wall. Worked very well. Also, we tried the magnets for the walls to hang our bathing suits. Since the walls are so slick, they just slide to the floor. So we now take clothes pins and hang the suits in the shower or on the balcony. Love the idea of the coil bracelets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is good info! I was going to buy magnetic hooks, but I don't think anything will be strong enough to hold the organizer once filled. I will bring the zip ties just in case. Great idea.

I will have to bring some smaller clothes pins. We have the jumbo ones to use as towel clips. Way cheaper than the Boca Clips.

As for the coils, if you get the coloured ones, each person in your party can have a colour and know which card is theirs. We just have black ones, but my daughter added jewelry charms to each of them for quick identification.

We have always used an organizer on the bathroom door. I thought it was essential for a family of four to be able to fit in a regular cabin.

I think I read that Carnival banned the use of the shoe organizers late last year. Due to them being a fire hazard?

I still plan on taking our organizer anyway since we place it in the suitcase fully packed and rolled. Atleast it'll help with the packing.

I'm guessing the other cruise lines still allow the organizers on board?