Are the Delos excursion boats near tenders

tpwolfe

We are going to be in Mykonos Town in Oct 2016 on HAL and are wanting to go to Delos on our own. I read that the tender boats come into town near where the Delos excursion boats are located. Is this true and are the Delos excursion boats within walking distance from where the tender drop you off? Or are there a better suggestion on seeing Delos?

Yes, if you are tendering rather than docking your drop off point is less than a five minute walk to where the Delos ferries depart. Now if you dock it is a five minute shuttle ride to the edge of town and then a ten minute walk.. I know that due to high winds this port of call is often cancelled. I guess we have been lucky and made it there three out of three scheduled times.

Are you sure you are tendering? Most HAL ships use the docks a few miles outside of town. If you do dock you need to take the shuttle into town. Once in town walk towards the marina about 10 minutes. It will be at the pier. Its pretty easy to find. If it helps, here are the GPS numbers, put them in Google maps and it will show you the pier.

37.44771, 25.32755

Are you sure you are tendering? Most HAL ships use the docks a few miles outside of town. If you do dock you need to take the shuttle into town. Once in town walk towards the marina about 10 minutes. It will be at the pier. Its pretty easy to find. If it helps, here are the GPS numbers, put them in Google maps and it will show you the pier.

37.44771, 25.32755

Here is what HAL has on it's itinerary Mykonos, Greece TR.

• 3 weeks later...

Deb, I think DH and I are on the same cruise as you - the Oosterdam on June 24. Maybe we could team up and go to Delos together? I'll look for you on our roll call. Aloha, Viv

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Viv0828

If I was a betting man, I would bet you do not tender. I see that HAL does have it as a tender but I believe that to be wrong. In fact it seems to me when we stopped there on either the Noordam or Ossterdam it said tender and we docked.

• 3 weeks later...
if you take the ferry to delos, are there guides waiting on the island that you can hire to show you around for a fee??

If I remember correctly, you either book the ferry + tour or just book the ferry with no tour.

The guides waiting on the island are for those who booked the tour. I don't think there are extra guides looking for private parties.

However, I could be wrong....

I'd advise you email the ferry company. I was able to get a response pretty quickly to a couple of questions I had about visiting Delos two years ago: our ship was tendering passengers to Delos in the morning for a half day tour and then going over to Mykonos for the afternoon/early evening. We wanted to stay on Delos and take a later ferry back to Mykonos. I needed to make sure that was possible. (It was, but I had to pay for the full round trip). They were very helpful and prompt in responding to me.

• 2 weeks later...

IF HAL docks at the "newer" port, there is a watertaxi, operated by the same company offering the Delos Tours. And increase the number of ships when there is a higher demand. So don´t worry.

If HAL tender - you will be dropped off the tenderboat just a few steps from the Delos Ferry. It is worth to book the tour with the ferry ticket - there is a lot to explain.

IF HAL docks at the "newer" port, there is a watertaxi, operated by the same company offering the Delos Tours. And increase the number of ships when there is a higher demand. So don´t worry.

We were just there last week (6/1) and this is exactly what we ended up doing. Our itinerary also said we were supposed to tender but we were docked at New Port. The water taxi was very convenient - it was 2 Euro per person (each way) and dropped us off right at the pier where the boats to Delos leave from. It worked out perfectly - we got off the water taxi and went right to the ticket booth for the trips to Delos. Then we turned around, walked past the water taxi, and got on the ferry boat.

• 2 weeks later...
We are going to be in Mykonos Town in Oct 2016 on HAL and are wanting to go to Delos on our own. I read that the tender boats come into town near where the Delos excursion boats are located. Is this true and are the Delos excursion boats within walking distance from where the tender drop you off? Or are there a better suggestion on seeing Delos?

When we went to Delos we walked to the ferry terminal. We got there before the small ticket booth was for the ferry to Delos. Had to wait I am thinking 1 1/2 hrs. Go to Mykonos site and find the information of the Ferry to Delos. It is very interesting to go there, we really enjoyed it. Be sure to take some snacks with you and water. We have some great pictures from Delos, their site is great.