Elegant/casual: Jacket with tie or no tie?

Slow Foxtrot

When dining on Elegant/casual nights Cunard specify that jackets must be worn but no tie needed.

Not too long ago no gentleman would be seen dining in a jacket with no tie, especially in such auspicious surroundings.

On a recent Cunard voyage the majority of the men seemed to slavishly follow the 'no tie required' instruction but it was heartening to see that many passengers refused to be cowed by Cunard's dumbing-down and sported their ties regardless.

It would be interesting to hear the views of Cruise Critic posters.

DH prefers the look of a tie with a jacket, so he generally wears one, even for "elegant casual." He always wore a tie to work, so for him it's kind of an automatic thing. Last winter, in Australia, the first EC night, the other man at our table wore a tie. He said, "Ah, I see you think a jacket deserves a tie, too." And every EC night, they wore ties. (and the rest of the appropriate clothing, of course)

I haven't made a study of it, but I'd estimate that about 50% of the men on QM2 went beyond the minimum, with ties for EC nights.

Is this following modern standards as I was very surprised to see our political leaders regularly doing this. To me it just looks plain wrong and are they trying to appear something they have never been??

I am in the corner that prefers to wear some sort of neck tie be that bow-tie, tie or cravat although is this last one set aside for our ex RAF types? ;)

......I am in the corner that prefers to wear some sort of neck tie be that bow-tie, tie or cravat although is this last one set aside for our ex RAF types? ;)

Damned good show, Glojo! Blazer and silk cravat would be quite acceptable for those that consider ties anathema. Cravats also make an excellent bib when imbibing copious amounts of alcohol (not Pol Acker of course).

I think that it depends upon the collar style of the shirt, if it is a button down type it can look ok without a tie but if it is a standard shirt it can look awful tieless.

Indeed! That is the purpose of button down collared shirts, they are designed to be worn tieless.

A smart blazer with light blue or white button collared shirt, for example, is the epitome of "elegant casual". That is not dumbing down, it is actually called style. A suit & tie is the right order for the smart "semi formal" occasions. The option remains, if you feel like and/or prefer to wear a tie, as I occasionally might on EC nights, then you can but it is misguided and technically inaccurate to object to those who choose not to.

Indeed! That is the purpose of button down collared shirts, they are designed to be worn tieless.

A smart blazer with light blue or white button collared shirt, for example, is the epitome of "elegant casual". That is not dumbing down, it is actually called style. A suit & tie is the right order for the smart "semi formal" occasions. The option remains, if you feel like and/or prefer to wear a tie, as I occasionally might on EC nights, then you can but it is misguided and technically inaccurate to object to those who choose not to.

I don't think that they are designed to be worn without a tie but rather that their design enables them to be worn without a tie. The button down Oxford shirt and tie combo is almost de rigeur for office workers in the USA for example.

Just disembarked from QM2 today after a 7 day T/A and was shocked by the standard of dress on the last formal night in the Golden Lion.

I happened to be in there at 7pm so it was fairly quiet with most people either in first sitting of Britannia or not yet out their cabins. There were an elderly couple in their tux/evening gown and then there were a couple in their jeans with their three children. Now they seemed to have been in there a while and were letting the children have a run round so I could let that go, but then as more people arrived, they were turning up in polo shirts, no ties, no jackets, jeans. I felt quite uncomfortable and out of place all dressed up so left and went elsewhere.

Now the dress standard in the actual restaurant was fine so it seems that people think they can wear whatever they like in the Golden Lion, just as if they're going down their local at home.

What is anyone else's opinion, is it just me who finds that unacceptable?

When dining on Elegant/casual nights Cunard specify that jackets must be worn but no tie needed. How old are you??

Not too long ago no gentleman would be seen dining in a jacket with no tie, especially in such auspicious surroundings. There is nothing auspicious about eating dinner on a Cunard ship . Pleasant and enjoyable yes -- but auspicious , no!

Barry

Seems to me that the term 'elegant casual' is an oxymoron, a phrase coined by Cunard to appease the tie-less brigade.:)

I guess there are degrees of casualness - in the same way there there are degrees of formality.

If anybody really wants to be "formal" and prefers to stick with old "tradition" (as opposed to newer tradition :)) then they would not wear a Tuxedo at a "Formal" gathering. Then again, nobody with any knowledge of these things would issue an invitation stating simply "formal" for the dress required.

Me? - I just stick to whatever the cruiseline asks for.

Barry

Just disembarked from QM2 today after a 7 day T/A and was shocked by the standard of dress on the last formal night in the Golden Lion.

I happened to be in there at 7pm so it was fairly quiet with most people either in first sitting of Britannia or not yet out their cabins. There were an elderly couple in their tux/evening gown and then there were a couple in their jeans with their three children. Now they seemed to have been in there a while and were letting the children have a run round so I could let that go, but then as more people arrived, they were turning up in polo shirts, no ties, no jackets, jeans. I felt quite uncomfortable and out of place all dressed up so left and went elsewhere.

Now the dress standard in the actual restaurant was fine so it seems that people think they can wear whatever they like in the Golden Lion, just as if they're going down their local at home.

You can't blame people for being "confused" . Cunards own FAQ says: "The dress code applies to all areas of the ship after 6.00pm each evening." -- but then goes onto say "Should you wish to dress more casually in the evening, then you will be able to dine in the Kings Court (Queen Mary 2) and Lido Restaurants (Queen Victoria & Queen Elizabeth)"

Personally - if I am dressed in formal wear for the evening meal, then I will also wear it to the local pub (Golden Lion). However if I am for some reason not attending dinner in the MDR and therefore will probably not be in formal wear, I will quite happily wear "elegant casual" wear to the pub. If I am dressed in Tuxedo while in the pub, I will not be any way concerned if others are not

What really gets my dander up, are those men who wear shorts in the MDR at breakfast and lunch. :D

Barry

PARTIAL QUOTE

What really gets my dander up, are those men who wear shorts in the MDR at breakfast and lunch. :D

Barry

Could be worse, they could be wearing briefs. Or reading a brief while wearing shorts. Best to order room service for breakfast :D

I don't think that they are designed to be worn without a tie but rather that their design enables them to be worn without a tie. The button down Oxford shirt and tie combo is almost de rigeur for office workers in the USA for example.

Wow, that's news.

I'm talking about office staff working during the day rather than the dress code of night workers in motels.

Do night workers in US motels have a dress code? I always thought they were rather down-market establishments. Can anyone enlighten us on this?

That may be the case but the design was introduced to be a "tieless" but smart shirt option. Seriously, that was their original purpose. It was introduced for polo payers to stop collars hitting them in the face.

A button down collar with a tie is not a good move! If people choose to do it, that is entirely a matter for them.

When dining on Elegant/casual nights Cunard specify that jackets must be worn but no tie needed.

Not too long ago no gentleman would be seen dining in a jacket with no tie, especially in such auspicious surroundings.

On a recent Cunard voyage the majority of the men seemed to slavishly follow the 'no tie required' instruction but it was heartening to see that many passengers refused to be cowed by Cunard's dumbing-down and sported their ties regardless.

It would be interesting to hear the views of Cruise Critic posters.

The dress code states that a tie is not required on EC nights so (irrespective of any personal opinions about Cunard dumbing things down - which I think there is a case for, based on anecdotal observations of ever decreasing number of formal nights) anyone not wearing a tie is quite within their rights to do so.

Having said that, I have worn ties/bow ties on EC nights but it really does depend on the rest of the outfit - whether or not it looks better with a tie or not.

No, it's not just you. I find it annoying too. I suppose, should you have enquired, the style impaired guests may have explained "it's our holiday and we just want to relax - it makes us comfortable".

Whatever :rolleyes:..... I enjoy a cigarette now and then but there's no smoking inside the ship (upper level of G32 excepted). :(

But wait! It's my holiday too and I want to relax as well - and be comfortable. Smoking cigarettes relaxes me and makes me comfortable - looks like it's okay for me to light up after all :D

i-RHzK2t2-L.jpg

The dress code states that a tie is not required on EC nights so (irrespective of any personal opinions about Cunard dumbing things down - which I think there is a case for, based on anecdotal observations of ever decreasing number of formal nights) anyone not wearing a tie is quite within their rights to do so.

Having said that, I have worn ties/bow ties on EC nights but it really does depend on the rest of the outfit - whether or not it looks better with a tie or not.

No, it's not just you. I find it annoying too. I suppose, should you have enquired, the style impaired guests may have explained "it's our holiday and we just want to relax - it makes us comfortable".

Whatever :rolleyes:..... I enjoy a cigarette now and then but there's no smoking inside the ship (upper level of G32 excepted). :(

But wait! It's my holiday too and I want to relax as well - and be comfortable. Smoking cigarettes relaxes me and makes me comfortable - looks like it's okay for me to light up after all :D

i-RHzK2t2-L.jpg

Have you grown your hair?

Archived