Alaska Cruise or Alaska Cruise Tour with teenagers

roomama

We are planning to book a cruise on Princess Crown out of Vancouver northbound to Whittier. Trying to decide if we should end our trip here or continue on a Princess land tour. We will be traveling with older family on the cruise who will continue on the land tour.

Not sure how my 13 and 15 year old will handle to land tour. Train ride seems long for a surly teen. Do not think the scenery on the train will mean much to the kids. They have spent a lot of time in British Columbia.

Found a lot of comment regarding the cruise for teens but could not find much on land tours. Any thought are appreciated.

Thank you.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

My first thought -- JMO -- since you are traveling with older members in the family -- you might want to consider doing the land portion first and then the cruise. The land portion can be long days and doing the cruise second would give them a chance to rest up.

Have you asked this question on the Alaskan board?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55

Might also ask this question on Family Cruises:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49

I knew my kids (ages 13 & 17) wouldn't appreciate a cruisetour and would be totally bored, so we did the land portion ourselves. Maybe you want to split from the older family and do your own thing while they do a cruisetour? Then you can meet up again at the airport for your flights home and compare notes.

Your two teens are not going to be happy on a cruisetour. Lots of adults aren't happy with the long days on the coach on a cruisetour. Your luggage out by 6 or 7 am, on the bus at 8, travel all day on the coach, arrive at night between 5:30-6:30. You do make potty stops through the day, and some sights along the way, but for the most part, you are riding in the coach. On our cruisetour, we were two buses of 40 people each bus, and not one rider was a child.

The train between Fairbanks and Denali is only about 5 hours (I think), but between Anchorage and Denali it is 8 hrs. Again, not a fun thing for teens. While you can get up and walk around, it is still a long ride.

If you want to do a land add-on, definitely think of renting a car and doing your own thing.

It also depends on the teen.

If they enjoy long car rides looking out of the windw, then maybe. If they grew up being entertained by the DVD player in the back seat, then maybe not.

(NOt disparaging parenting styles, just stating reality.)

FWIW we have done long train rides with ours and they loved it. Seattle to LA.

Edited by SadieN

If you don't have to do the land tour with the teens...I wouldn't do it!:D Of course it depends on the teens themselves.

My DS hates to be in a car...much less a bus...for any length of time. He would hate a land tour with a passion! I would never subject him to one if I could help it. It would be torture for him and for the DH and me.:eek:

Whatever you decide, I hope your family has an awesome vacation!:D

Not sure how my 13 and 15 year old will handle to land tour. Train ride seems long for a surly teen. Do not think the scenery on the train will mean much to the kids. They have spent a lot of time in British Columbia.

Thank you.

British Columbia and a cruise tour to Denali are not at all the same.

I'd do the land tour, but it does depend on your kids. If they are outdoor types, then they will love it. If they are video game, hang out at the mall types, then possibly not.

If you have the time to get it organized, I second the opinion of renting a car or RV and doing your own land tour. Maybe stop for a few days in Anchorage if your teens need "teen stuff" to do.

Also agree with doing the tour first and then the cruise.

Cruise? yes, definitely! Cruise tour w/teens? Nope, not in a million years. Do the cruise and then do the land touring yourself. Rent a car, book hotel rooms, cabins or B&B's in the area of interest to you. That way you can stop when and where you like, see the things YOU want to see, and do the things YOU want to do. No long hours on a bus or train where most teens would be bored to tears. We just did a 17 day land only trip to AK on our own last May/June and it was spectacular! Rented a car for $99 per week (woo-hoo, smoking deal!), spent three nights in a rental cabin near Denali, then two nights in a rental cabin near the Matanuska Glacier, then a night in a lovely B&B in Girdwood as we made our way down to a rental house in Homer for a week. Gorgeous house we found on Homeaway.com overlooking Kachemak Bay and two glaciers. It was the most relaxing and memorable vacation ever, and would do it again in a heartbeat. Very easy driving in Alaska, get yourself a Milepost, comb the 'Alaska' board on CC and find out what appeals to you for your land trip. It is so easy to arrange on your own, and very satisfying not to worry about getting up at the crack of dawn (unless you wish to;)), and boarding a bus for hours and hours stopping when and where the driver says you can. Cruisetours may be for some folks and I get the convenience they so appreciate with them, however they aren't for everyone, and I sure don't think they are for teens or children. Good luck in your mission - Alaska is amazing. Have been there five times now and am booked once again for my sixth trip there on HAL's 14 day itinerary for this May 18th. Can't get enough!:D