hotels in rome

PMMF

should we book via cruise line that includes transfers, prices seem to range around $250-$290

Never been to rome and plan on spending 2 nights before cruise in October 2014.

If that $250-$290 covers transfers and two nights in a DECENT hotel, it sounds like a good deal for two people - a bit steep if it's per person.

Find out what hotel you will be staying at. Breakfast included?

For comparison--

BnBs in Rome are around e100/night, taxi into Rome (within the walls) is e55 + few more euros for baggage, around e80 to Civi.

Look on the Europe/Italy board for more info.

(Bring washcloths, they're usually not provided in European hotels.)

Using the cruise line's hotels and transfers simplifies things significantly, particularly if one is going somewhere for the first time and will not be joining up with others who have been there before. However that usually comes with a higher pricetag! Speaking as one who has been willing to pay the extra for the convenience and enhanced comfort level several times for cruises in, or beginning in, Europe, I would do it again for an embarkation port city in a part of the world that is new to me.

If that's per person, it seems high, depending on the hotel. If it's for both of you, it's a good deal.

We stayed in Rome, for the first time, post-cruise and took the train from the port to Rome; you can do the same from the airport. Very cheap, but of course more of a hassle to get your luggage on and off, plus then getting to the hotel from the train station.

We had a great B&B for around $100 per night--it was maybe a mile from the station and a mile from the Colosseum. We walked there with our luggage; not too bad for us (we were 64 at the time) and then we walked all over Rome. This was our choice as we like to walk, but cabs, buses, metro, etc. are available.

We took a car service back to the airport, which the owner of the B&B arranged, for about $45--this was several years ago--and wow were we glad we didn't attempt to walk to the train station as it was pouring rain.

The convenience of the hotel/transfer from the cruise line great, although we enjoyed the adventure of finding our way around on our own.

should we book via cruise line that includes transfers, prices seem to range around $250-$290

Never been to rome and plan on spending 2 nights before cruise in October 2014.

Is that total cost for both of you? Ship usually charges per person, hotels would charge for a double. Be sure to find out where the hotel is, cruiselines sometimes use hotels far from city center, so you would have transportation costs to the various sights.

Depends on your preference. I booked my own hotel & transfer from FCO to hotel in Rome on viator dot com (paid for in US $ before we ever left home). Joined my Roll Call and shared a transfer with two other couples from our hotels near the Vatican to Civitavecchia with Rome Cabs. Cost was 30 EUR or approx $50 pp for the transfer to the pier.

Just a reminder, take half the clothes you think you need and double the money. Most of Europe is terribly expensive, the US $ doesn't do well against the EURO. Have fun planning, then taking your cruise!

Using the cruise line's hotels and transfers simplifies things significantly, particularly if one is going somewhere for the first time and will not be joining up with others who have been there before. However that usually comes with a higher pricetag! Speaking as one who has been willing to pay the extra for the convenience and enhanced comfort level several times for cruises in, or beginning in, Europe, I would do it again for an embarkation port city in a part of the world that is new to me.

this.. imo, it's worth the peace of mind. whenever we have done this we are always the first on the ship.