Iphone / AT&T / NCL / IConceirge

Ok, I've searched already and read threads for a few hours but either I'm not techie enough to understand it or it hasn't exactly been addressed so if you will forgive me, can I be yet another to ask about using my Iphone with AT&T service onboard the NCL Getaway?

We will be going from Miami to St Thomas/ St Martins and what I really need to be able to do is text with my work back home. Also, we are a group of 7 onboard, all with Iphones and we think we will purchase the IConceirge app to keep in touch with each other onboard as well. My question then becomes, what do I specifically need to do to my phone to not incur other charges other than the $8 for the NCL app and whatever AT&T charges me to send/receive texts (and the occasional phone call)? I really want to avoid the crazy bill because of data/internet access that I wont need to be using.

Some threads say to put it in Airplane mode, which I think would work for the IConceirge app but would prevent me from getting texts from home. So do I leave Airplane mode off but turn cellular data roaming off (with WiFI on?). I realize there is the potential for me to receive a stray phone call at a charge from time to time but I don't get many calls so I'm not too worried about that. But with that setup will I be able to get texts from home and still be accessing the NCL Iconceirge app to communicate with my kids onbaord as well?

Finally, with AT&T, does anyone have firsthand knowledge of text rates onboard? I've read that AT&T has international deals with other cruise lines but not NCL. I'm thinking like 50 cents per text unless they have a better plan (I already have unlimited data and texts in the US but I am guessing that means nothing onboard a cruise ship). Thanks.

With AT&T incoming text messages are free. $.50 to send a text message. You need to turn off airplane mode for text to work. Wifi on and data roaming off. Keep in mind St Thomas is like any state and included in your domestic data and calling plans. Great location to catch up online.

The iConceige APP branded for NCL is FREE to download and use, except for its onboard/ship-only voice calling & text msg. features, the other functions like Account Review & What's Happening, etc. are free to use but will only work when connected to the ship's WiFi (treat it as an "INTRAnet")

The latest versions are available for both Android and iOS devices, download AND install them at home/office before leaving for the cruise, and once onboard - activate ("Register") the APP's service upon embarkation, before the ship sailed while you are still on a "home" signal with AT&T, in case of a newer update. Only the "Cruise Countdown" feature work off the ship - download & launch it to look around.

The devices will be in "roaming" mode using WiFi, and battery life/drain will be higher than what you are used to - charge them every night upon returning to the stateroom as otherwise, your device will be low on battery life by the following day.

We had 3 cabins on the BA and relied mostly on sticking with pre-arranged plans & meeting time, and call FREE from stateroom to stateroom using the telephone with voice mail features in each.

Definitely turn off data roaming. Heck, I turned that off the day I got my phone and have not turned it back on EVER. I suspect it's just a way for AT&T to charge you more money for nothing.

When the ship leaves port, put your phones into Airplane mode and THEN turn on just the Wifi. Connect to the ship's hotspot. You won't be able to get your text messages... but then again you wouldn't be able to get them at sea ANYWAY. There's no cell towers in the ocean.

When you pull back in to port, take your phone out of airplane mode and see what signal you get. At that point you can hopefully receive your text messages. You can still connect to the ship's wifi while you are on board and use iConceirge to connect to your family, but that won't work when you're wandering around the port city.

When the ship leaves, turn on Airplane mode again and turn the Wifi. Repeat with each port.

Edited by Valen9

Definitely turn off data roaming. Heck, I turned that off the day I got my phone and have not turned it back on EVER. I suspect it's just a way for AT&T to charge you more money for nothing.

When the ship leaves port, put your phones into Airplane mode and THEN turn on just the Wifi. Connect to the ship's hotspot. You won't be able to get your text messages... but then again you wouldn't be able to get them at sea ANYWAY. There's no cell towers in the ocean.

When you pull back in to port, take your phone out of airplane mode and see what signal you get. At that point you can hopefully receive your text messages. You can still connect to the ship's wifi while you are on board and use iConceirge to connect to your family, but that won't work when you're wandering around the port city.

When the ship leaves, turn on Airplane mode again and turn the Wifi. Repeat with each port.

There is in fact cell service in the middle of the ocean on the ship. Cellular At Sea provides it at a premium but you can receive and send text messages and phone calls as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Jim

I have Verizon with my iPhone but I assume ATT's service is the same.

If all you want to do is send and receive text messages the following applies:

Go to Settings> Cellular>Turn off Cellular Data>Leave Voice Roaming on>You can text and receive for minimal charges and you will receive no expensive data.

You will still receive voice calls. If you don't answer them there is no charge. If you do it's 2.49 per minute. You can make calls at the same rate.

Jay

Go Irish! Class of 1969

SOME (not all) VERY BAD INFORMATION ABOVE

AS TO TEXTS FROM HOME:

If you put your phone on Airplane mode, you can not get phone calls, or texts. You have turned off the cellular radio(s).

You can NOT get imessage texts unless connected to the internet (via wifi). That costs money.

ICONCIERGE (which is only on newer ships) lets you connect to others onboard, but not back home. And, only those that have paid for the service.

No free internet. None.

If you leave the phone on for texts from home, you also get phone calls at $2.49 per minute.

To save big data charges, just turn DATA ROAMING off.

Coming from the UK we just get ripped off when abroad. My phone company limits my European data roaming to an extra £40 on top of my contract (calls and texts are extra), but when in the US they charged me £250 for data roaming. When I complained they knocked off £180 of it - just a rip off.

I am hoping to get some advice. I plan on turning off my iPhone as soon as I get on board the Pearl to Alaska and locking it in the safe until the cruise is over. When I get to each port I would like to call home. What kind of calling card should I purchase or should I purchase one in port? Also where at the ports of Juneau, Sagway and Ketchikan can I make a phone call? I have Sorint as my service provider for iPhone but even though Alaska is one of the United States they don't see it that way and the charges would be ridiculous!! I would appreciate any advice because I will want to talk to my children and husband at each port. Only 29 more days!! Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am hoping to get some advice. I plan on turning off my iPhone as soon as I get on board the Pearl to Alaska and locking it in the safe until the cruise is over. When I get to each port I would like to call home. What kind of calling card should I purchase or should I purchase one in port? Also where at the ports of Juneau, Sagway and Ketchikan can I make a phone call? I have Sorint as my service provider for iPhone but even though Alaska is one of the United States they don't see it that way and the charges would be ridiculous!! I would appreciate any advice because I will want to talk to my children and husband at each port. Only 29 more days!! Thank you

I don't know if this is still available, but several years ago, I got a calling card from a market and used that in the Alaskan ports. When I got off of the ship, there were several pay phones nearby. Now that everybody has mobile phones, this may not be possible.

Judy

We have been using this trusted vendor for 5+ years for a variety of refills - solid vendor & competitve - _link - look under Calling Cards for best rates calling from US-Alaska to UK - rates about 10 cents per minute with no connection fee/surcharge, rounded up to next minute.

Coming from UK, you should be able to find a vendor in SEA/YVR depending on your embarkation port - 7-11 stores and pharmacy/drug stores generally carry a reasonable choice of brands & options, not sure about the Alaska ports & their availability ?? Crew members and stateroom stewards could be your best friend since they do these routes on a regular basis.

I know that when we had relatives visiting from France here in the US (mainland, 48 states) that they have free incoming call on their mobile phone #'s from home. How much calling do you plan to do for a week's worth of cruising plus time on land tours before & afterward?

Edited by mking8288

Is your service really from some company called SORINT or was that a typo for SPRINT? If your service is from Sprint, then I don't understand why you say Alaska would be expensive - we have Sprint service on our phones, and calling from the ports in Alaska was no different than calling from our own home city.

If you truly want to use a traditional phone and a phone card, why not start with your cell phone provider. Sprint (and all the other companies) still sell calling cards. You'll still find pay phones at most of the ports, as they are often used by the international members of the crew for calling card calls to their own countries.

Another suggestion: Buy a cheap, pre-paid cell phone, loaded with however many minutes you want of call time. Do it before you leave, so you can tell your family what your phone number is before you leave on the cruise.

A few years ago on my last Carib cruise, i added the International plan to my AT&T iPhone for the week (set me back 100$), and all data, text, etc was covered.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Walkie talkies....great idea!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

If you do a search under Walkie Talkies you will see that most everybody that thought they would be a good idea for their first cruise found out that they don't really work like they thought they would and never brought them on another cruise.

Way too much other stuff interfering with the signal.

Let's try to stay on-topic and not go off-track on iPhone & iConcierge use for NCL ships.

WT's operate on UHF band are designed for point-to-point in wide open/outdoor settings with minimal interference, not within the confined steel hub of a modern cruise ships with 10+ decks. Use outside the US can be highly restricted, prohibited and/or require a license - check local laws first before taking them off the ship.

Can you imagine 2,000 people running around with WT's squeeze into 10 or 15 channels with the "coded" privacy tone alert, trying to listen & call - if they really work in these places?

Pro WT models (pictured below) use "repeaters" to relay the signals - otherwise, you will be transmitting a lot of, "hello, hello, can you hear me now, over, over, hello ..." Leave those Walmart or Target "toys" at home - especially if you are going on the GA, BA or Epic.

P.S. Look closely next time sailing on NCL, ship's officers use Nokia candy bar "non-smart" phones for communications.

IMG_20140116.jpg.295358f83201abd30e05482ab2286e7e.jpg

Walkie talkies work. Mine had 40 channels and are coded. Just sayin don't buy the 10 dollar ones of you need communication. Beats 100 dollar cell phone. Or this iconcergiere app looks interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app