Which shows did you see on your cruise?

There have been some mixed reports about which type of show and the number of each which are being performed in the show lounges on different ships.

To some people the mix/type of shows are important so I'd be really grateful if anyone returning from their cruise would be kind enough to let us know:

1. How many 'production' shows did you see in a week - or fortnight? These are the shows which have costumes, costume changes, singing and dancing, usually inventive and impressive choreography and staging (described by Thomson as 'West End' style shows).

2. How many 'Concerto' style performances were there? These are typically just the singers, nice evening dresses/men often in DJs, singing cabaret style with no choreography other than a bit of movement this way and that (not dancing) and no staging.

Recently, the more usual pattern in a week has been:

a. 1st night: Welcome show - shorter song and dance performance

b. 1 X Concerto style

c. 1 XGuest act - usually comedian

d. 4 X 'production shows'

For a two week b-2-b cruise the Welcome show is often repeated on changeover day then you might expect the above pattern to be repeated but different shows whether that be a Concerto or production ones.

I'm trying to get a feel of whether the type/balance of shows has or is in the process of changing as to me that would matter. One Concerto style per week is ok but to gradually replace proper shows with basically cabarets isn't what I expect or want from Thomson entertainment.

Any info would be very welcome but please note when your cruise was and which ship you were on. Recent info is really what we're after to determine the current state of affairs. Thanks! :)

For the record - here are the reports so far from the Hot Potato thread - if you've been following that you probably won't want to bother with this post but I thought it would be helpful to collect the info we already have together than see what new info comes through. Thanks for your help all! :)

A) 13.07.13 From topsey reference Celebration:

Here goes....Entertainment during the week in the show lounge, if i saw the show i will add comments

Night 1 - Modelled by Motown,

Night 2 - UK Guest act Buster ( x2 shows)

Night 3 - West End Wonders (x2 shows) - Concerto style, no dancing as such just choreographed walking

Night 4 - UK Guest act Phil Doyle (x 2 shows)

Night 5 - Concerto by special arrangement ( x1 show) - as it says, some very good singers but staging was very samey (singer called Cassie outstanding)

Night 6 - Killer Queen (x 2 Shows) concerto style as above

Night 7 - Cool Britannia (x 2 Shows)

So the shows we saw were, West-end Wonders, Concerto by special arrangement and Killer Queen. ALL concerto style, and i have to say after the 3rd show i wanted to shout at them keep ruddy still and sing, stop walking around!!

And………’No afternoon play on the Celebration’

B) 14.07.13 From mtt ref Spirit in March:

‘on the spirit im march, they only had 1 uk geust act, they had an play uring the morning, show team members did carabet acts and only one concerto style show on the gala night, they had a very good show team’

C) 14.07.13 From Koromo1

We were on the Dream 29 June 2013

1. They were offering the £10 seats for the comedian on his show only.

2. They did one concerto show on Captain's night.

D) 14.07.13 from happy v ref Spirit July 13

I've just read this and coincidentily addressed most of these issues in my review of the Spirit.

It seems as if the Spirit is winning hands down at the minute.

No charge to watch the show.

Two concerto over two weeks.

Afternoon play, and also one afternoon a Simon and Garfunkle concert which I thorougly enjoyed. There were also two lecturers on board. One covering Russian eggs, boxes and Baltic amber, and another the history of the wars etc.

E) 15.07.13 From Growler5010 ref Spirit June 13

We were on Spirit to the Baltics last month. We usually cruise with P & O and we think their entertainment is dire (amateurish entertainment team, hasbeen comedians & singers etc) so it was a lovely surprise to find the entertainment team on Spirit a very professional & talented troupe. In the evenings there was one concerto show, one play (Educating Rita), two shows by the comedian (Don Maclean of Crackerjack fame who was very funny), An Audience with Adam Hart-Davies (scientist/historian) and the rest of the evenings were shows full of singing & dancing (including a tribute to Cameron Macintosh). On the last afternoon they also put on a farce - very funny.

All in all streets ahead of what P & O laughlingly call entertainment!

F) 15.07.13 From MrsJam ref Dream June/July 13

We were on Dream from 22 June for 2 weeks. Priority seats were offered for £10 with a glass of bubbly, we sat upstairs and didn't notice many empty seats downstairs so don't know where exactly these priority seats were meant to be. The shows were

1 Killer Queen

2 Tutti Voce (Concerto for Captains Night)

3 Dance Dance Dance (which included the CanCan )

4 Comedian - Maxwell Plum

5 New York Café (acting as well as song and dance) followed by comedians late night slot

6 Dress Circle (music from Cabaret, Chicago and Les Mis - song and dance) followed by the Crew Show

7 Michael Jackson tribute (song and dance)

8 Killer Queen

9 Concerto (Captains Night)

10 Magic of Motown

11 Guest comedian - Lloyd Hollett

12 Skools Out (singing, dancing, acting) followed by comedians late night show

13 Songs from Andrew Lloyd Webber shows followed by the Crew Show

14 Dance Hall Days

G) 18.07.13 From Linda ref Majesty Feb13;

I can't remember exactly what these shows were - so long ago!!

All about the girls - first night and think we were tired so just went to the Royal Observatory and off to be early.

Les Bryan - comedian speaks for itself

Webber & Rice As I said it was cancelled, and as the sea was rough going up to Madeira, I think we must have just had a drink and off to bed. (How boring we must sound

Cool Britannia Yes singing and dancing and costumes

Webber and Rice I think it was just singing

Moulin Rouge Singing and dancing (costumes so you could take a photo)

Thankyou for the music (Abba) Sadly they didn't dress up as Abba, just singing.

Sorry, not to be more informative. As I've said before, we really enjoyed the entertainment on the Majesty. I don't actually mind concert type shows and DH is not keen on all the "prancing about" as he calls it. I would actually like to see one more night of a guest artist - we saw a brilliant young ventriloquist on the Eclipse. I think the problem with production shows is that there are only so many you can do and if you go with Thomson a few times, you begin to get a bit bored with them. (Except Africa) Skools out is one example. They did it on the Dream (not very well) and it is the sort of thing that is Ok the first time, but.....

H) 18.07.13 From Jakanne ref Majesty

Cool Britannia was a selection of popular songs through the decades with a short explanation for each decade. Costumes were according to the fashion of the time.

Thank you for the Music, Abba. It was just singing and dancing in costume and IMO it was good but not half as good as the Abba show last September when the singing and dancing was accompanied by the life story of the Abba couples and how their songs mirrored their love lives at the time.

I) 19.07.13 From Jules ref Celebration in June

Have just read a recent review on here of the Celebration & this is the comments re the shows:-

"I have to give a special mention to the entertainment's team. They did an amazing job and put on shows which wouldn't have looked out of place in the west end. The Michael Jackson and Queen tributes were simply superb. As well as the shows, there are continual quizzes, games shows and events for those who like to be entertained. However, if you like peace and quiet, there are plenty of quiet areas were a good book can be read without interruption."

P.S. Hope I haven't missed any - apologies if so!

Kruz....Have far back do you want the info from?

Well I think the concern is that things have changed this season (especially ref topsey's experience) so really it's fairly up-to-date stuff, say from this summer's sailing whcih would be most useful Jim.

That will help determine if there has been a change in policy recently so we get early warning of any cost cutting measures which may be (unwelcome) indications of things to come for next season! :eek:

I'm just hoping there were some extenuating circumstances for topsey to have three Concertos in one week - because that's not what we have been used to - as I'd hate to think that was the way Thomson are going!

Well I think the concern is that things have changed this season (especially ref topsey's experience) so really it's fairly up-to-date stuff, say from this summer's sailing whcih would be most useful Jim.

That will help determine if there has been a change in policy recently so we get early warning of any cost cutting measures which may be (unwelcome) indications of things to come for next season! :eek:

I'm just hoping there were some extenuating circumstances for topsey to have three Concertos in one week - because that's not what we have been used to - as I'd hate to think that was the way Thomson are going!

Weren't the Showteam quite new when Topsy went on? She told me that they only get 2 weeks training now prior to boarding which must have an effect if they are new to the ship - I'm sure it used to be a longer training schedule but maybe not & a lot of the experienced Showteam that were on Celebration last summer are now on the Dream so maybe (I may be completely wrong!) the team on Celebration are a newer bunch & didn't come with the experience that they will gain over the time they are on? I will let you know when we return but hoping to hear reports back from people who are currently onboard now too :)

The show team still have the usual few months training/ practice in keighley as they always have had they have to learn a lot of routines in advance, they do fly to the ship early for the last cruise of the season so they can spend some time practising on the ship, the spirit team were rehearsing everyday and they even did q&a's with the showteam.

cool britainia is one of the best shows, love the doctor who parts

Okay Kruz

We sailed on the Dream end of May but probably tidier if you didn`t go that far back

End of May should be the summer season's offering Jim so if you have details, I'd be pleased to hear what you saw. Thanks :)

Day 1 Killer Queen

Day 2 Concerto by special arrangement - gala night

Day 3 Modelled by Motown

Day 4 Guest act Les Bryan - comedian ok but not great

Day 5 Skools out

Day 6 A feast of Lloyd-webber with a serving of Rice.

Day 7 dance hall daze.

Day 8 Killer Queen

Day 9 Concerto Tutti Voce

Day 10 Dance dance dance

Day 11 Guest act George King, we've seen him before but still enjoyed him. Anyone on the cruise might remember his jokes about "gardening" ha ha.

Day 12 Songs from New York City

Day 13 Dress Circle

Day 14 Man in the mirror - this was favourite mostly dance routines but love Michael Jackson.

We went to most of the shows and enjoyed them all. Can't wait for Carribean next February.

Thanks Grannymags :) - just what I wanted to know and very relieved to see what I would expect in terms of 'the mix'. Only two Concertos and two guest comedian slots so the rest are 'proper' shows. Long may that last! ;)

We did the Caribbean last Feb and can't wait to go again! We have never felt so sad to have to go home! I'm sure you'll have a great time. :)

Day 1 Killer Queen

Day 2 Concerto by special arrangement - gala night

Day 3 Modelled by Motown

Day 4 Guest act Les Bryan - comedian ok but not great

Day 5 Skools out

Day 6 A feast of Lloyd-webber with a serving of Rice.

Day 7 dance hall daze.

Day 8 Killer Queen

Day 9 Concerto Tutti Voce

Day 10 Dance dance dance

Day 11 Guest act George King, we've seen him before but still enjoyed him. Anyone on the cruise might remember his jokes about "gardening" ha ha.

Day 12 Songs from New York City

Day 13 Dress Circle

Day 14 Man in the mirror - this was favourite mostly dance routines but love Michael Jackson.

We went to most of the shows and enjoyed them all. Can't wait for Carribean next February.

Granny mags, are you travelling from Newcastle?

Not as comprehensive as others

Dream-May 2013

In no particuler order

Queen(play/musical Barcelona FC))

Michael Jackson,

New York City(dancing and singing),

Dancing with the something :D(Dance,Dance,Dance)

Maurice Grumbleweed(guest comedian)twice one night and also one late show another night

Crew show

CD Bram did a late solo spot singing

Not as comprehensive as others

Dream-May 2013

In no particuler order

Queen(play/musical Barcelona FC))

Michael Jackson,

New York City(dancing and singing),

Dancing with the something :D(Dance,Dance,Dance)

Maurice Grumbleweed(guest comedian)twice one night and also one late show another night

Crew show

CD Bram did a late solo spot singing

Thanks Jim :) - that does help as it's clear they were mainly production shows (at least four) so that explodes the three Concertos in a week - at least on your cruise on Dream earlier this summer season. Your pattern is much as I would expect (and hope for!) :D

I especially liked the Queen one although I guess the Becks/Rooney (Pecks/Spooney) storyline is a few years old now - but my goodness what a brill job they did with that and the delivery of the Queen standards - some fantastic singing/harmonies. (We had a 'Queen' based show on P&O - and it was embarrassing by comparison!). The Dance Dance Dance is another high octane one which I think is very good. Am looking forward to seeing the Jackson-based one sometime. Should be pretty good.

I'm keen to get Jules' feedback (and others) on Celebration - that experience topsey had was so poor. It doesn't help her but I hope it's improved for the sake of future cruisers. :rolleyes:

Thanks Kruzseeka, can't wait! I shall be hopefully celebrating a special birthday whilst on board which will may it extra special.

Hi Jakanne1

We go 23rd feb from Newcastle, great to have a local flight to the Carribean. There are 6 of us flying out. How about you? It's still a long way ahead though, another 7 months to work!

I know I gave a brief overview, but before I throw the cruise news' out I thought I would do the list as it could be interesting to see if the programmes are the same on different ships.

SPIRIT 29th June

Day 1 Welcome show

Day 2 Tutti Voce

Day 3 West End Whiz

Day 4 Comedian, Brett Kite

Day 5 Show (the one with the prostitute donating money for the church)

Day 6 Cool Britannia

Day 7 An Audience with Sarah Kennedy

Day 8 Educating Rita, play

Day 9 By Special Arrangement

Day 10 Dance Dance Dance

Day 11 Comedian (don't have name:o)

Day 12 Territory Folks (Oklahoma)

Day 13 Cameron's Classics

Day 14 Fairground Attraction

Thanks Kruzseeka, can't wait! I shall be hopefully celebrating a special birthday whilst on board which will may it extra special.

Hi Jakanne1

We go 23rd feb from Newcastle, great to have a local flight to the Carribean. There are 6 of us flying out. How about you? It's still a long way ahead though, another 7 months to work!

There are 4 of us ladies. We are leaving our menfolk at home! We just wanted to do a Caribbean cruise but we all have something we can say we are celebrating. :D. We will all be retired by February so that's a good reason!!

We researched different cruise companies but we were left with Thomson as it was the only company to go direct from Newcastle and we did not want to risk crossing the Pennines in February to get to Manchester or going through Heathrow or Paris, the other alternatives.

The 7 months will soon go by, I hope. :)

The entertainment was

Day 1 Modeled by Motown

Day 2 You Can't Stop the Beat

Captains corner in afternoon

Day 3 Andy Wilkins Comedian

Day 4 Tuti Voce - Captains Gala

Not day at sea - Afternoon play - A Jolly Sinister Jape

Day 5 Man in the Mirror - Michael Jackson songs. Deck Party later.

Day 6 Mediterranean Nights - with Can Can - Crew show

Day 7 Killer Queen

Day 8 Modeled by Motown

Day 9 Fairground Attraction (Proper Show)

Day 10 Concerto by Special Arrangement

Day 11 Phil Doyle - comedian

Day 12 Cool Brittania - Crew show

Day 13 Killer Queen AGAIN Late night with Phil Doyle

Day 14 West End Wonders

Afternoon play - A Jolly Sinister Jape - Tea with Phil Doyle

These were put on because of the extra day at sea and was supposed to make up for us not going to Cesme

No Captains anything second week and no deck party.

The entertainment was

Day 1 Modeled by Motown

Day 2 You Can't Stop the Beat

Captains corner in afternoon

Day 3 Andy Wilkins Comedian

Day 4 Tuti Voce - Captains Gala

Not day at sea - Afternoon play - A Jolly Sinister Jape

Day 5 Man in the Mirror - Michael Jackson songs. Deck Party later.

Day 6 Mediterranean Nights - with Can Can - Crew show

Day 7 Killer Queen

Day 8 Modeled by Motown

Day 9 Fairground Attraction (Proper Show)

Day 10 Concerto by Special Arrangement

Day 11 Phil Doyle - comedian

Day 12 Cool Brittania - Crew show

Day 13 Killer Queen AGAIN Late night with Phil Doyle

Day 14 West End Wonders

Afternoon play - A Jolly Sinister Jape - Tea with Phil Doyle

These were put on because of the extra day at sea and was supposed to make up for us not going to Cesme

No Captains anything second week and no deck party.

Crikey Mary -

You must have brought the Cruise News home with you. We went to nearly all with the exception of the plays and second showing of Killer Queen, Crew Shows and Late Night with Phil Doyle. Seen so many that we stopped bringing the CN home. Just make the most of our holiday and move on the the next these days. 9 weeks to go.;)

The second Captains night was a farce. I felt sorry for those who were cruising for the first time. We had mis-read the invitation and thought there was the usual meet and greet before the meal. No-oh. We turned up just when we thought the doors would be closing and therefore avoid the shaking hands bit only to find not a soul in sight and no-one hanging about all dressed up.:eek:

We were also disappointed not to get to Cesme.:mad:

There was someone sitting in the Lounge in the front row waiting for the first show though. She was there when we went in after dinner that's how I know. How sad.:eek:

:)

Crikey Mary -

You must have brought the Cruise News home with you. We went to nearly all with the exception of the plays and second showing of Killer Queen, Crew Shows and Late Night with Phil Doyle. Seen so many that we stopped bringing the CN home. Just make the most of our holiday and move on the the next these days. 9 weeks to go.;)

The second Captains night was a farce. I felt sorry for those who were cruising for the first time. We had mis-read the invitation and thought there was the usual meet and greet before the meal. No-oh. We turned up just when we thought the doors would be closing and therefore avoid the shaking hands bit only to find not a soul in sight and no-one hanging about all dressed up.:eek:

We were also disappointed not to get to Cesme.:mad:

There was someone sitting in the Lounge in the front row waiting for the first show though. She was there when we went in after dinner that's how I know. How sad.:eek:

:)

Hi Jan

Yes we brought them all home. I keep saying I am going to do something with them but never get round to it. We saw all the shows except like you the second showing of Queen and the play.

Lucky you only 9 weeks to go for the next one. We have done now for this year as we are having a new extension and kitchen which we have put off having had done for years as we would rather go cruising.:)

I agree the second so called Gala dinner was a farce. No Captain in sight and nothing special about the meal. I also felt sorry for the first time cruisers who were looking forward to meeting the Captain. When we read the invatation we thought it was odd when it said the Executive Chef invites you.

We were really looking forward to going to Cesme so were very disappointed.

I really hope they have got there act together on the Celebration as it was so disappointing to what we have had before especially the second week.

She used to be our favourite but I don't think we will be going back on her.

I know I gave a brief overview, but before I throw the cruise news' out I thought I would do the list as it could be interesting to see if the programmes are the same on different ships.

SPIRIT 29th June

Day 1 Welcome show

Day 2 Tutti Voce

Day 3 West End Whiz

Day 4 Comedian, Brett Kite

Day 5 Show (the one with the prostitute donating money for the church)

Day 6 Cool Britannia

Day 7 An Audience with Sarah Kennedy

Day 8 Educating Rita, play

Day 9 By Special Arrangement

Day 10 Dance Dance Dance

Day 11 Comedian (don't have name:o)

Day 12 Territory Folks (Oklahoma)

Day 13 Cameron's Classics

Day 14 Fairground Attraction

Thanks for that happy v :) All helping to add to the info we have on current shows.

So this looks like:

1 X Welcome show

2 X 'Concerto' style; 'Tutti Voce' and 'By Special Arrangement'

2 X Comedians

7 X Shows

1 X Play

1 X Audience with..........

Allowing for the fact that you'd probably get the Welcome Show repeated on a b-2-b and on a 14-night itinerary they can't do that (hence perhaps the 'Audience with....') this is close to the usual pattern although the play in an evening (as opposed to an afternoon performance on a sea day) is really replacing a production show. So being picky this programme is down one production show on past experiences.

Mrs Red Scorpion and I were on the Majesty in the Canaries in May. I cannot remember all the shows. But I was pleasantly surprised by how much dancing there was on a ship that didn't used to have any at all. They managed a can can and they did lift each other into the air, only inches below the very low ceiling. Incidentally, the can can took place in rough seas with rails up around the stage as a safety precaution. In addition to the entertainment team they had two professional ballroom dancers who featured in that show. At one point he was spinning around on his heals with her arm in one hand and her ankle in the other. They forgot that when they do this she is above the height of the safety rail. Whilst waiters struggled to keep their balance these dancers didn't put a foot wrong on a stage that is the least dance friendly of any ship in the Thomson fleet.

They did shows that were predominantly singing too which people seem to be calling concerto style which is a curious term for me since I always thought a concerto was a three movement orchestral work featuring a solo instrument. I don't mind if some of the shows are predominantly singing anyway. Dancing is fine and I always enjoy it but the standard of the music has always been more important to me. I notice duff notes more than I notice dodgy dance steps. Fortunately on Thomson duff notes are not particularly frequent.

Mrs Red Scorpion and I were on the Majesty in the Canaries in May. I cannot remember all the shows. But I was pleasantly surprised by how much dancing there was on a ship that didn't used to have any at all. They managed a can can and they did lift each other into the air, only inches below the very low ceiling. Incidentally, the can can took place in rough seas with rails up around the stage as a safety precaution. In addition to the entertainment team they had two professional ballroom dancers who featured in that show. At one point he was spinning around on his heals with her arm in one hand and her ankle in the other. They forgot that when they do this she is above the height of the safety rail. Whilst waiters struggled to keep their balance these dancers didn't put a foot wrong on a stage that is the least dance friendly of any ship in the Thomson fleet.

They did shows that were predominantly singing too which people seem to be calling concerto style which is a curious term for me since I always thought a concerto was a three movement orchestral work featuring a solo instrument. I don't mind if some of the shows are predominantly singing anyway. Dancing is fine and I always enjoy it but the standard of the music has always been more important to me. I notice duff notes more than I notice dodgy dance steps. Fortunately on Thomson duff notes are not particularly frequent.

Your countdown shows you were on Majesty in March. :D :) The reason I noticed was that I was on same cruise in April and the two professional dancers, left the ship as we were leaving. I agree they were excellent and the female dancer was dancing even though she had been unwell the day before. Their names were Julian and Kalisa. I wonder whether they are back on Majesty but hope they will be in September.

Your countdown shows you were on Majesty in March. :D :) The reason I noticed was that I was on same cruise in April and the two professional dancers, left the ship as we were leaving. I agree they were excellent and the female dancer was dancing even though she had been unwell the day before. Their names were Julian and Kalisa. I wonder whether they are back on Majesty but hope they will be in September.

They were on from the start of Majesty's service with Thomson in May 2012 and they did a few 'exhibition' style slots. Yes we thought they were excellent too and I believe their involvement was increased as the 'shows' were modified and developed to include more dancing/staging over tiime.

Initially the shows were all just 'Concerto' style - yes it is a misnomer but that was Thomson's description of this type of show. I would maintain that it is more like their 'cabarets' in the sense that it resembles the 40/45 minute slots of themed songs much like the showteam members do indivually and in groups as a late night performance in the likes of High Spirits/Liberties or the Medusa lounges. Of course a definiton of 'Cabaret' would imply more than just singing too so that's not really accurate either!!! :confused:

Perhaps we should call the Concerto shows by what they actually are: singing to avoid any further confusion and then Thomson could hardly hide behind the description of 'West End' style shows for those! So to avoid confusion, in the evenings they either offer a show, singing or a comedian! The rub is - how many of each per week????

Thanks everyone for the input and keep the info coming as the picture is getting clearer - I think :confused: :D

Archived