Can you believe 15 weigh-ins till Christmas Day

But again 15 weigh-ins to lose in our eating/diet ways

I really think all the 12 months of the year is hard

Always have to try to eat right, drink our water, exercise in the yard

What I read your all trying to give it your all

Your having loss's most weeks to call

See when you gain you really try your best to get it down

That way you have smiles instead of a frown

We're all in this together and won't give up.. Right?

So the next 4 months we all try our best with all our might

Not happy - I went up 1/2 pound last week to 190.5. I did splurge a little during the week but I fully expected to lose by Thursday morning. Oh well, no one ever said it was easy.

Now that I'm off Nutrisystem I'm trying to use what I learned to buy appropriate products. One thing I like about Nutrisystem is it realizes that, psychologically, we need to have snacks, and I was allowed two snacks per day (each snack between 140 and 180 calories). So yesterday I looked around the supermarket for appropriate snacks and I found something good - cheese crackers (which I love) that are 150 calories for 28!

I mentioned last week that we're planning to relocate to the midwest - St. Louis in particular. We're getting our home ready for sale and hope to put it on the market in the spring. One of our objectives is to make some money since the cost of homes in St. Louis is much cheaper than in northern Virginia. The additional funds would give us more flexibility in taking vacations. In anticipation of this, I've added another prospective cruise to my signature, around the British Isles, which we hope to take with our daughter.

Edited by CruisermanVA

Belle - Hope your birthday was wonderful last week .... mine will be on the 18th, but I am leaving for the west coast on Wednesday for a pacific coastal cruise (never been to WA, OR or CA) ... should be fun.

I really want to come back to this thread, I ended up back right where I started many years ago .... I'm hoping that when I get back I can get motivated again. Jan

Well, Monday was 200, this morning it was 192 - plenty of "residue" as I call it along with delayed success from plenty of exercise = my new starting point to get back to 180.

Cruiserman - I was routing(?) for you for a sub-190 weigh in today. Dang it. You'll nail it next week, your habits are good and it's inevitable.

Have great cruise Dianna!

Belle, really appreciate and enjoy your thread kick-offs (get it - FOOTBALL SEASON STARTS TONIGHT!)

Sitting around watching games-that can be a tough one for me for snacking. That's why I'm glad I have the elliptical now - just jump on that for a while as a distraction.

So, 180 by mid November, average speed on the bike up to 17mph, and back into my 34 waist jeans - that's my goals for now. Don't know what my knees think of that second one, but might as well try.

Have a great week everyone - keep on keepin' on.

While I'm zoning on the elliptical, I've been reading Penn Jillette's book: "Presto!: How I Made Over 100 Pounds Disappear and Other Magical Tales".

If you can't take atheism, ultra vulgar language, or are utterly unfamiliar with him and his coarse sense of humor/reality (half of the Penn and Teller magic act) then I urge you to avoid this book.

But, it's his detailed description of a hyper-unusual weight loss plan he used because he was a gnat's you-know-what from stroking out and dying.

There are some great nuggets of motivation in it though, such as:

• Up until maybe 70 years ago, humans as a species had to forage constantly for three basic things: light, food, and warmth. Because now all of these things are handed to us with little to no effort, we've grown into the society we are now - extremely susceptible to weight gain and laziness.

• We live in perpetual spring. Our bodies want to produce enough fat to survive on when winter comes - but now it never really does, so we keep gaining fat stores. Instead of working for a meal, it's driven to us - no effort or exertion in the process, and our circadian rhythms are all messed up because we can turn on a light and stay up longer than we should and neglect necessary sleep/rest.

• The more we ween ourselves off of chemicals, processed foods, excess sodium, and unhealthy prep methods - the more we can actually eat - and really taste and enjoy what we eat.

I'm only halfway through the book, and I'll admit it's taking a few detours, but just those nuggets of common sense - I really feel enlightened a bit.

Anywho, just keeping the thread fresh :-)

Well, Monday was 200, this morning it was 192 - plenty of "residue" as I call it along with delayed success from plenty of exercise = my new starting point to get back to 180.

Cruiserman - I was routing(?) for you for a sub-190 weigh in today. Dang it. You'll nail it next week, your habits are good and it's inevitable.

Have great cruise Dianna!

Belle, really appreciate and enjoy your thread kick-offs (get it - FOOTBALL SEASON STARTS TONIGHT!)

Sitting around watching games-that can be a tough one for me for snacking. That's why I'm glad I have the elliptical now - just jump on that for a while as a distraction.

So, 180 by mid November, average speed on the bike up to 17mph, and back into my 34 waist jeans - that's my goals for now. Don't know what my knees think of that second one, but might as well try.

Have a great week everyone - keep on keepin' on.

Congratulations on your decision to get back to healthy habits. Losing 8 pounds (!) is a great way to start.

Can I join?

When I was younger I was one of those people who could seemingly eat whatever I wanted and not gain weight. Which was awesome because I love food/cooking. That lasted until I was about 25. That was the point that my metabolism packed up and left town.

I was about 160 when I got pregnant with my son. I, of course, used pregnancy as an excuse to EAT ALL THE THINGS! I weighed over 200 lbs when I gave birth, and lost very little over the course of the next two years. As a sidenote, you know those those people who tell you that nursing is "just like going to the gym" and the weight will "just fall right off"? Those people are liars. Okay, so maybe sitting on the couch eating cheeseburgers wasn't helping my cause, but just after my son's second birthday I was 185 and tired of being fat. For the next 7 months I logged every bite of food and worked out on the elliptical 7 days a week and got down to 115. Then I joined a gym (my elliptical machine at home finally gave up the ghost). I started running. I'm up to running 30 minutes at a time and am signed up for a 5K in October. I started playing tennis again once a week. But, I've done really, really, really badly with what I eat. So bad that I've gained almost 20 lbs since January (Who joins a gym and gains weight? Me, that's who). I'd like to say that some of it is muscle because I had been lifting weights, but alas, it's mostly flab.

So, I have a cruise booked in 119 days. I would like to be down to at least 120 again (I'm 5'1, so that's not an unhealthy weight). Yesterday I was 134.0. I've started logging food again. I think that having to log in and report my weight will help keep me accountable.

Cruiserman.. That's true, weight loss not easy,

You'll get the gain off next week. Hope your

house will sell fast and lot's of cash. More Cruises

is the way to GO!LOL

Diana.. Thanks. Nice not to have a gain before

a cruise. Tomorrow you leave. Have a great time.

Bon Voyage!

Jan.. So nice to see you. Happy Birthday! Have a good one.

You will you'll be on a cruise! I do hope you come back and

join us. Just come in to talk till you get ready to eat right.

WE might help you get ready by reading what everyone has to

say. Miss You!

shootr.. Great loss to get you started. However or whatever you did,

you lost. Glad you like my "kick offs" each week. Can't be as bad as

some of the games! LOL Thanks for telling us about the book. Guess

I'm not losing because storing up for the winter!

Cruises42.. You had a good loss. Just think a pound a week. That would

be 4 to 5 pounds a month. I know we all wish we could lost 10 pounds

or more a month. Especially when we've been so good.

Sugar.. Welcome. I know what you mean. I never could eat what I

wanted but could lose so much faster when I was younger.

Yes coming in here each week does keep you accountable.

Your off to a good start, you lost weight and didn't gain it all back.

Now your doing lot's of exercise. Bet some of your weight is muscle.

Now you started eating better, know you'll get it off before your cruise.

But remember whatever weight you lose before your cruise will make

you less than you are now.

Everyone have a good weekend. Have fun but be good. Yes it can be done! LOL

Sounds like most have had a good week!

I worked 3rd shift last night and forgot to weigh when I woke up this evening. I went straight to playing with the kids. I'm working again tonight (now), and I'll be sure to get a weigh-in when I wake up tomorrow.

I've had to really adjust my habits when working 3rds. When it was my regular shift, I grazed all night at work to stay awake, and grazed at home for the same reason when I was exhausted and needed to be awake. Now, when I I don't have patients, and am starting to zone out sitting at the computer, I'll get up and cruise the halls for 5-10 minutes. Warms me up, gets the blood pumping!

I found another good, lo-cal snack. I'm a nut nut and when given an opportunity to eat them I can't stop. So I found 10 packets of Planters peanuts at 170 calories per packet. As long as the nuts are in individual bags, I can limit myself to one. If I bought a can of peanuts - I'd eat the whole thing, no doubt about it.

Edited by CruisermanVA

I do miss nuts, but come to find out it's one of the very few trigger foods for my ulcrative colitis so I've bid them adios...:(

Got some riding in this weekend, went up to the 9/11 memorial this morning at dawn to watch the ceremony after going there yesterday with the missus to take some pictures and walk around.

SPyB0SREBQySa4BRmunRitOF_AiN3rq32Ibhp5lC_Kt2aRmP8n_FnCFh0yqjJVhet_C2s45RASXkp00FVX4vKsbmpnxzs1Yt6-nxW0omnI_FyVCcfICPOVe4fUX5fFbZF2HfQL3FdgMCqZxCJ6nSsRFzQdmUYzKrWeT8SHKTw9pItLW0_dtJV_C6TGO_-5dY07nsqS1niaiEIvPWt_CaUgS8dDqawRgu1mjU7TNjVMZC9yGgTOZhdMAoCfaluq2iJUD6TEKvxrcscuggHXhNFcFsezwt7T2CvL7TTI1ibbbAI3U0ETZ93QS4zdphVFsBM3NI13ARWDx3nthQ4S8yRiJ_UPpMFhVG8jIOs2oOyW2jgDFwj_Zf2PORzvFsbpAhQpMZ-fCBPm9Fc5mPTk_vtMIc0Eu0ipnXf4wA9WKe0aiuSWCfRRs5tc3cnwA-3V_Mw7Mx1rRRouG61ovGHH6n9Ekd_D5gGHEnvzbXlebgz4LFpUlNtGkBLfIrXwvCleCfNTEmD-lBTRjjmVgpyqjpwnQ9qTmED7uzvLhKnDWC5LbFFPoxJkP2jDwN7GVLOcU_3jPYga0eyAmnUf-1dlVQrPUNfkaQdrCRxS8=w1122-h672-no

A flag for every victim, with a card about them - very sobering, even 15 years later...

bcbeSFkTSgFtFIoghhMIE2549xmZ5oX1I0BT0fdA_J_xjez_lu3AUlCF83xKvtv0TRTo_NZs9mOa3AZm5KxM8avYxI-ySeuWhGlwu3a9qyIQQwOmk9qNrnGYed6qaZl6D0OmjeVtcuXBtyql8rityXheGZYRupp3MV4-z-t1O4zgby05q-rNpECCJ9rS3XSQhR8qhXdXIqqor6dd6kwRLDvg09W6Eiz4x_KYQkDWP8dKmP06g3TUojdfDQQvwSCsMb8QQJyM7dWuwLF7A0FryqnJZ-FqXLoSR2BMEngp6TkrDGehUuFMyJQde0WMmPylDJ5L_kXwYz__Of4eRp7SJNZFZqvVk3qdhJFj-1X_4fuQu1pX-vNfVOCEPYIt5EZ0D-KaLH69o5MxlrSSmxMt6Nh-POXFgpePs6dM2zy3PDXJvir4mlxPsau6KX68eCyT-OZ1weej6IXFVfuAAmnkUjIVcx7ZnjGWogjzjov0bE1apDtic7hvDYIlTpthkFLiOEXQAuFgoa2NY3vzFdjeZhxk_MdpuhBec5e6gdCZ91VQ-hzFknjVk0AG9D8_NL6iqQxgWY_Fc3zq6NHHEC8CuBN4PsgvKZEevBA=w659-h672-no

Trying to be good and eating a crock pot full of chicken, but still fighting the snacking urges...