Star Princess any good

1stime88

Our first Princess cruise (my 7th cruise) was on the Star. It's gone through some changes since then (there's an International Cafe on the Plaza deck, midships, that you'll enjoy -- it's not an enclosed eatery but a set of display case of light fare and yummy treats that are included in your fare; there's Movies Under the Stars by the uncovered pool; probably many other changes, but those two are major).

Make sure to check out the actual Princess website as there's deck plans and info on the various features.

Princess is one of the leaders in Alaskan cruises.

How is the star princess? I have already booked it for my first cruise, Alaska to Vancouver. I hope I am not disappointed!

I had to laugh. Starting out with positive expectations......:cool:

More like: I am afraid My expectations are really high for the cruise!

On the Star once a year and a half ago. Loved it. Going again the end of November. Looking forward to it. As long as you don't expect 4 or 5-Star restaurant food (although, occasionally a meal comes close), Broadway caliber shows and white-glove service 24/7 you should enjoy the experience. We have always had good food (if you don't like something, get something else), good service and an enjoyable experience on our Princess cruises. In short, the Star works for us as have the other ships we have been on. Relax and enjoy your first cruise.

The Alaska itinerary is great, btw. :cool:

Edited by ar1950

How is the star princess? I have already booked it for my first cruise, Alaska to Vancouver. I hope I am not disappointed!

We just got off the Star and had an absolute awesome time! Alaska is beautiful and Princess was super organized. We could not believe how many whales we saw in Juneau. Skagway was super warm - thank goodness we packed short sleeve shirts! Ketchikan was an amazing little town. Be sure to walk back to Creek Street and watch the salmon in the river. We had 20 hours of light, super weather, awesome staff and a great time! It's a hassle to get a table for 2 on anytime dining. I would recommend reservations and bypassing the lines or joining others. I think you will have a blast. Take binoculars and lots of memory cards, maybe a high powered lens. The glaciers are breathtaking as well as the scenery and wildlife! Have a blast!

The first cruise we ever took was on the Star around South America in 2012. We are now going on our sixth cruise with Princess, while not on the Star, we liked it well enough to keep cruising.

The Star is a lovely ship with all the amenities and it may have even been updated since we sailed on her.

Enjoy!

I have been on the Star twice, both times on long cruises. I LOVE that ship. Ever since the Sapphire went to the Asian market, the Star has been my favorite ship. Love Skywalkers and the whole layout of the ship. Skywalkers lounge has the best views of anywhere on the ship except being outside. On a recent trip to Hawaii going under the Golden Gate bridge, Everyone was outside freezing while I sat comfortable in Skywalkers watching everything. You will not be disappointed.

We just got off the Star and had an absolute awesome time! Alaska is beautiful and Princess was super organized. We could not believe how many whales we saw in Juneau. Skagway was super warm - thank goodness we packed short sleeve shirts! Ketchikan was an amazing little town. Be sure to walk back to Creek Street and watch the salmon in the river. We had 20 hours of light, super weather, awesome staff and a great time! It's a hassle to get a table for 2 on anytime dining. I would recommend reservations and bypassing the lines or joining others. I think you will have a blast. Take binoculars and lots of memory cards, maybe a high powered lens. The glaciers are breathtaking as well as the scenery and wildlife! Have a blast!

Thank you!

I have been on the Star twice, both times on long cruises. I LOVE that ship. Ever since the Sapphire went to the Asian market, the Star has been my favorite ship. Love Skywalkers and the whole layout of the ship. Skywalkers lounge has the best views of anywhere on the ship except being outside. On a recent trip to Hawaii going under the Golden Gate bridge, Everyone was outside freezing while I sat comfortable in Skywalkers watching everything. You will not be disappointed.

Thanks! I do want to view the glaciers from outside though, I wonder if anyone has advice on where to go during the glacier cruising days.

Thanks! I do want to view the glaciers from outside though, I wonder if anyone has advice on where to go during the glacier cruising days.

Lots of people went on the Mendenhall Glacier tour and loved it. We saw it from a distance and it looked wide and blue so I am pretty sure it is beautiful. We did the whale watching and saw 7 whales, bubbling, breaching and lots of tails. She pointed Mendenhall out on the way back to the ship on the bus.

Go to deck 7 or to the top observation decks. I like to be able to move from port to starboard as the boat spins at the glaciers. Nothing more frustrating than being on your balcony and hearing a roar from the other side of the ship as the glacier calves.

My only compliant with the Star last week was the beds being wore out. If you find this is a problem, you can solve a sagging bed by layering one or two deck towels under the mattress. We did this and were fine. When we swapped cabins on our 2nd leg of a B2B I found folded sheets already under the mattress to fix the sag.

The food was fine as usual. The singers were very good. Saw a great mentalist show. Specialty 50th anniversary desserts were nice too. Loved the cruise. Bought 6 FCCs. Im all in.

As far as the ship goes we much prefer the Royal/ Regal.

If the choice is Star or another Grand class ship, then the Star is certainly a fine one. I don't think OP is weighing the Royal class against the Grand class.

There is a tread by saxgirl84 about a recent Alaskan cruise on the Star.

She includes lovely photos and good info.

I think the thread may be on page 2 of this forum.

Also, IMHO - book a cabin with a balcony for glacier viewing.

That way ,you have your own space,you can hear the commentary on the TV and if you get cold,you can go into your cabin to warm up,then return quickly to your outside viewing place.

Enjoy your cruise!