Transportation from Maine to Manhattan

Island_gerl

We are a family of 4 going on our first cruise in March out of the Manhattan port. It is a 10 day cruise. We intended on driving from Maine to CT the night before the cruise, then taking metro north into GCS, and a taxi to the ship.

Amtrak from Boston seems to be running the same. It seems no matter what option I'm looking at, it's going to cost $400...which is what it will cost if we just parked at the terminal.

A friend of ours took this same cruise in October and stayed in Stamford, CT for one night and had free parking at the hotel for the duration of his cruise!! Apparently that offer is no longer valid.

It seems no matter how we get to the port, it's going to cost $400...one way or the other. Does anyone coming from the north have any better experience or information about where to stay and/or best way to get there?

We are a family of 4 going on our first cruise in March out of the Manhattan port. It is a 10 day cruise. We intended on driving from Maine to CT the night before the cruise, then taking metro north into GCS, and a taxi to the ship.

Amtrak from Boston seems to be running the same. It seems no matter what option I'm looking at, it's going to cost $400...which is what it will cost if we just parked at the terminal.

A friend of ours took this same cruise in October and stayed in Stamford, CT for one night and had free parking at the hotel for the duration of his cruise!! Apparently that offer is no longer valid.

It seems no matter how we get to the port, it's going to cost $400...one way or the other. Does anyone coming from the north have any better experience or information about where to stay and/or best way to get there?

What's your exact date? Where are you coming from in Maine? Were you budgeting for a pre cruise hotel night anyway?

Did you look at the park/cruise package at the Hilton Garden in Ridgefield, NJ for $280?

What's your exact date? Where are you coming from in Maine? Were you budgeting for a pre cruise hotel night anyway?

Did you look at the park/cruise package at the Hilton Garden in Ridgefield, NJ for $280?

We are coming from the Portland area and sailing on March 2nd. I has hoping to not have to drive to NJ the night before, which is why I was looking around New Haven (and to follow in our friends's footsteps and shave 1/2 off the port parking price.) We'll be leaving Maine around 4pm.

Island_gerl ~

Just a thought: You might consider driving down to the Branford/ Guilford/ Madison CT area (just east of New Haven) and staying overnight at one of the several inexpensive hotels/motels (Holiday Inn Express, etc) there, off of I-95 or Route 1.

Then, next morning, take the Shore Line East train to New Haven (Union Station) and change there for a Metro North train into NYC.

There are train stations at all three of these towns (Branford/ Guilford/ Madison), with free parking at each of them. The hitch is that station parking is in open lots, with no visible security, so I can well understand if you are reluctant to leave your car out in the open for ten days.

I'm very familiar with Branford; the station is in a generally safe area. For what it's worth, on numerous occasions my brother has left his car there for extended periods with no problems.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.274143,-72.8165872,3a,90y,280.5h,71.37t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s5i5O_3I1aSzShbVOiKsYWw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

The Shore Line East train from Branford takes only 15 minutes to New Haven; the fare is $3.25, and children under 11 travel free. If I recall correctly, you can purchase a combined Shore Line/ Metro North ticket to NYC from the conductor on the Shore Line train. The Metro North train to NYC generally departs from Union Station directly across the platform from where the Shore Line train pulls in, so you don't have to haul luggage up and down stairs.

http://www.shorelineeast.com/index.php

If you would rather not leave your car in the Branford station lot, you can drive to New Haven and park in the garage at Union Station; I believe the cost is $18 per day, so obviously this would add $180 to your overall cost:

http://nhparking.com/DETAILS.aspx?id=20&zoom=14

Our preferred route driving from coastal Maine to the Branford area is I-95>495>290>395>95. From Portland, this usually takes around 5 hours, depending on traffic.

Edited by Post Captain

And to continue from that, if you're taking Metro-North, there's really no point in parking at Union Station in New Haven for a trip like yours, unless you really want the car under cover. West Haven and Fairfield Metro stations are $6/day, close to I-95 and a much shorter walk to the tracks. (And almost every Metro-North train from New Haven stops there.) I commute weekly to New York and my car lives at West Haven all week. Or, if you want to get close to the city and still park remotely, the new garage at North White Plains is next to I-287, covered, and $10/day. (And I think Stamford is $10/day too.)

For the times when I need to stay overnight in the New Haven area, I've used the Best Western Plus in North Haven -- cheap, reasonably pleasant, somewhat basic but they have a great free breakfast. (And despite the name, it's an indoor-corridor hotel, not a motel.) It's next to I-91 exit 12. But there are many other options.

This is fantastic information - thank you so much!

I have reserved a room at the Hilton Garden Inn in Ridgefield Park for now. I will definitely be looking into these routes, especially since it would allow us to stay with my sister in Wakefield, Ma - then travel to CT to catch the train.

I'm thinking the weather will have a lot to do with our final travel plans.

Island_gerl ~

Just a thought: You might consider driving down to the Branford/ Guilford/ Madison CT area (just east of New Haven) and staying overnight at one of the several inexpensive hotels/motels (Holiday Inn Express, etc) there, off of I-95 or Route 1.

Then, next morning, take the Shore Line East train to New Haven (Union Station) and change there for a Metro North train into NYC.

There are train stations at all three of these towns (Branford/ Guilford/ Madison), with free parking at each of them. The hitch is that station parking is in open lots, with no visible security, so I can well understand if you are reluctant to leave your car out in the open for ten days.

I'm very familiar with Branford; the station is in a generally safe area. For what it's worth, on numerous occasions my brother has left his car there for extended periods with no problems.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.274143,-72.8165872,3a,90y,280.5h,71.37t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s5i5O_3I1aSzShbVOiKsYWw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

The Shore Line East train from Branford takes only 15 minutes to New Haven; the fare is $3.25, and children under 11 travel free. If I recall correctly, you can purchase a combined Shore Line/ Metro North ticket to NYC from the conductor on the Shore Line train. The Metro North train to NYC generally departs from Union Station directly across the platform from where the Shore Line train pulls in, so you don't have to haul luggage up and down stairs.

http://www.shorelineeast.com/index.php

If you would rather not leave your car in the Branford station lot, you can drive to New Haven and park in the garage at Union Station; I believe the cost is $18 per day, so obviously this would add $180 to your overall cost:

http://nhparking.com/DETAILS.aspx?id=20&zoom=14

Our preferred route driving from coastal Maine to the Branford area is I-95>495>290>395>95. From Portland, this usually takes around 5 hours, depending on traffic.

Seconded - I lived in Guilford from 1999 to 2008 and left my car at the Guilford station (free) parking lot a number of times while traveling for up to ten days. There always seemed to be a number of cars parked there for days at a time and I never heard of anyone having a problem.

There are two good, clean reasonably priced motels just off Exit 59 from I-95 in Guilford, and the Shoreline Diner there is a good place for dinner and breakfast. From there it is a 5 or 10 minute drive to the Guilford station to pick up the Shoreline East train to New Haven - there are a number of trains towards New York in the morning, and several coming the other way for after your cruise.

One benefit of this route is that you will not have any of the bad traffic on I-95 as it nears New York.

We are coming from the Portland area and sailing on March 2nd. I has hoping to not have to drive to NJ the night before, which is why I was looking around New Haven (and to follow in our friends's footsteps and shave 1/2 off the port parking price.) We'll be leaving Maine around 4pm.

Why would you even consider going to jersey? Look into hotels in Westchester that are near metro north

New rochelle has a radison with lots of parking.

See if they will keep your car

You could walk 1/2 mile to metro north

Or grab a cab

But I'm guessing they have a free shuttle

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We just got off the Gem on Thursday. We travelled from NB to NY. We stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn in NJ for $259. It included one night stay, 10 days parking and they paid for the taxi to and from the terminal. I thought that was a pretty decent deal. Nice hotel too.

• 1 month later...

We usually drive from Orono to Stamford CT (8 hours) stay overnight at the Hyatt in Stamford for under $200. The next morning we drive to the cruise port and part at the port (for our 8 day cruise it was $320) The upside is - when we leave the ship - early debarkation, our car is right there waiting - we exit NYC and head north! No worry about trying to get back to our car. Works perfect for us!

Hi another option is taking a bus. We have booked Academy Bus several times. Twice through the cruise line -- which is nice they know you are coming and if there is an issue they wait for you. Once directly through Academy (it was a repo cruise and the website said no busses available). Again Academy was in contact with the cruise line.

One of the Academy rides was to the Manhatten terminal and the other two to Port Liberty.

Springfield MA is a pick up point so that was easy for us. You could call Academy and see what service is offered the day of your cruise and from what pints (Boston and Worcester are also pick up points)

We have also used Greyhound/Peter Pan. The taxi ride was $10.00 to the Manhatten terminal. It would be walkable if you did not have luggage.

Either bus option gives you lots of choices for over night somewhere. You may have to pay for a taxi from a hotel to the bus terminal or pick up spot. Remember hotel reservations can usually be cancelled without a fee so you and put lots of holds out there until you figure out what works for you.

For our cruise is May we are doing the 2 day pre-cruise package with parking. Seems like a great deal and I am excited to see how it works out. this seems like a good option with your traveling from Maine.

Parking at the Manhattan terminal (last time we were there) was $40.00 a day. I am sure it has gone up. Parking at Cape Liberty is $20.00 a day.

Be inventive and explore busses, trains, charters, and compare the cost of all your options. May be cheaper for you to stay a night in a hotel and then just drive to the port.

Do what works for you family but the main this is -- make your choice and then enjoy and do not stress!

Hi another option is taking a bus. We have booked Academy Bus several times. Twice through the cruise line -- which is nice they know you are coming and if there is an issue they wait for you. Once directly through Academy (it was a repo cruise and the website said no busses available). Again Academy was in contact with the cruise line.

One of the Academy rides was to the Manhatten terminal and the other two to Port Liberty.

Springfield MA is a pick up point so that was easy for us. You could call Academy and see what service is offered the day of your cruise and from what pints (Boston and Worcester are also pick up points)

We have also used Greyhound/Peter Pan. The taxi ride was $10.00 to the Manhatten terminal. It would be walkable if you did not have luggage.

Either bus option gives you lots of choices for over night somewhere. You may have to pay for a taxi from a hotel to the bus terminal or pick up spot. Remember hotel reservations can usually be cancelled without a fee so you and put lots of holds out there until you figure out what works for you.

For our cruise is May we are doing the 2 day pre-cruise package with parking. Seems like a great deal and I am excited to see how it works out. this seems like a good option with your traveling from Maine.

Parking at the Manhattan terminal (last time we were there) was $40.00 a day. I am sure it has gone up. Parking at Cape Liberty is $20.00 a day.

Be inventive and explore busses, trains, charters, and compare the cost of all your options. May be cheaper for you to stay a night in a hotel and then just drive to the port.

Do what works for you family but the main this is -- make your choice and then enjoy and do not stress!

Academy bus no longer has a contract with RCL/Celebrity.