Please help. Very overwhelmed!

Alaska_2012

I posted this under the New Cruisers forum but thought I might get more responses here.

I am planning a trip to Alaska for my family of four (next July). My head is spinning from the choices and I really need some guidance . This will be out first cruise and I want to make the right decision.

From what I have read, it looks like Holland America and Princess are known for the best cruises to Alaska. I am hoping to book a stateroom with a balcony and it looks like the Princess may be out of our price range ($5736.00 for 7 nights :eek:).

The two I am looking at right now are, the Carnival Spirit and Holland America ms Oosterdam. Holland America is about $500 more than Carnival. Holland America comes in right at $5000 and I would like to not go over that if necessary. Like I said, Princess and also Celebrity are closer to $6000.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have read and read and am still not any closer to a decision. I'm sure we will be happy which ever route we take. Not looking for a lot of entertainment, etc. We are really just interested in seeing what Alaska has to offer. Thanks so much! :D

I don't have time to look, but if you post the itineraries, that would offer more suggestions.

Basically, Carnival does Tracy Arm/Endicott Arm, where HAL does Glacier Bay and Sitka on some itineraries- those could be a preference??

I suggest you focus your research on the ports and activities available, along with glacier differences. Figure out what is of the more interest comparing the two.

Being that you have narrowed down your ideas to thses two ships, it will be easy to get the details, that will offer help in the selection.

Princes can change quite a bit between now and near final payment.

Also remember that if you use a discount TA, Princess and HAL still allow discounting. Celebrity, RCCL do not. I am not sure about Carnival - I think they changed that recently also.

So if you are comparing prices, Princess discount TAs can possibly discount 10% plus of the cruise fare (not taxes). That may make up some of the differences.

Also once you book, if the price comes down before final payment, you can get price reductions with Princess.

Carnival's itinerary is not very good. The Oosterdam would be a good ship.

Try to get a ship that goes to Hubbard Glacier or Glacier Bay.

Forget the ships and cruise lines for now. Look over itineraries and port times. Then when you get a feel for where you want to go, start looking at ships that fit your itinerary and/or budget the best. Once you have some choices, post the ships and itineraries here. Some ships offer better open deck viewing, some ships may have better port times etc.... A few folks here have just about done them all.

Thanks for your help! On the other thread someone said they'd rather have an inside room on another ship than a balcony room on Carnival. That may be rethink everything. I could definitely swing an inside room on Celebrity or Princess. Should I sacrifice the balcony for the nicer line?

I'm not sure about the itinerary yet. I've read about the differences between leaving from Seattle and Vancouver. Flying from Georgia, it looks like it would be quite a bit more to fly into Vancouver. Is there a train or something to get from Seattle to Vancouver?

I really appreciate your time!

I know, Coral. I guess I got so caught up in trying to find the right ship I wasn't giving that enough consideration. That's why I'm here getting help. Thank you! :)

Having being an experienced cruiser to the Caribbean and Mexico previous to Alaska - I felt overwhelmed with Alaska as it is a totally different beast. And here you haven't even cruised so I bet it is very overhwelming!

I actually choose a cruise based on a ship (Radiance - brand new) and didn't pay attention to the itinerary and it was an awful itinerary. After that cruise, I went back to the drawing board and researched the best time to cruise weather wise, the ports, the times in ports, etc.... You do have to make compromises as there is no perfect ship with everything perfect.

You are not the only person who has done this. So welcome to CC and thankfully you can learn from many of our mistakes so that you don't repeat them!

Good luck in your research!

I cruised Alaska last month on Princess. In an inside with ds6. We had a fabulous time. It was the first time I've been in an inside and it was just fine. I saw lots of scenery from the deck. I think we'll be taking insides from now on.

I booked last minute and reserved an oceanview guarantee. A few days before sailing, they called me and asked if I'd take an inside if they refunded half my money. I took the offer and sailed for less than $50pppd. Can't beat that. I had a great time and was thrilled that I was hardly paying anything for the experience. :D

I've sailed once on Carnival and would not pay money to sail them again.

Just saw the post above. I've also cruised Alaska on Radiance. On Princess, I didn't think the scenery in Glacier Bay was so spectacular. The scenery in Prince William Sound on a smaller ship was fabulous. We never got anywhere near Hubbard glacier on Princess either. We got very close to Hubbard on Radiance.

I would look at the times in ports, overall costs, and take the inside passage.

Edited by boulders

I posted this under the New Cruisers forum but thought I might get more responses here.

I am planning a trip to Alaska for my family of four (next July). My head is spinning from the choices and I really need some guidance . This will be out first cruise and I want to make the right decision.

From what I have read, it looks like Holland America and Princess are known for the best cruises to Alaska. I am hoping to book a stateroom with a balcony and it looks like the Princess may be out of our price range ($5736.00 for 7 nights :eek:).

The two I am looking at right now are, the Carnival Spirit and Holland America ms Oosterdam. Holland America is about $500 more than Carnival. Holland America comes in right at $5000 and I would like to not go over that if necessary. Like I said, Princess and also Celebrity are closer to $6000.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have read and read and am still not any closer to a decision. I'm sure we will be happy which ever route we take. Not looking for a lot of entertainment, etc. We are really just interested in seeing what Alaska has to offer. Thanks so much! :D

I'm a little bit confused. Just looking at Princess's website (all quotes are for July 2012) I can get a mini-suite Cat AA for about a $1,000.00 less for 2 than what you quote and that's not even using a discount TA. Even a CAT BF is only a little more than $4,000.00 for 2. But I also agree with everyone else, the itinerary is the most important thing to consider. My opinion is any cruise which includes Glacier Bay is number 1 with Hubbard Glacier number 2. As far as ports go the more time in Juneau and Ketchikan the better. And if you can add Sitka, that's a bonus. While I have sailed Princess and have two cruises on Princess next year, I can't comment on Holland America as I'm not old enough for them. :)

Hi, born2cruize. I am looking at Princess' website and for four it shows a stateroom with balcony for July 8th at $5736. Maybe I am doing something wrong? There are two adults and two teens. Thanks!

For a balcony BC on the Star for July 8:

PassengerCruise FareAirfareTaxes/FeesInsuranceTotal

Pax 1$1,677.30- $110.00- $1,787.30

Pax 2$1,677.30- $110.00- $1,787.30

Pax 3$677.30- $110.00- $787.30

Pax 4$677.30- $110.00- $787.30

Subtotal:$4,709.20- $440.00- $5,149.20

Prices are quoted in USD (United States Dollars) TOTAL DUE:$5,149.20

Also, there are some very good rates for the inside cabins on this sailing! If you can sail one day later the Golden itinerary includes Glacier Bay :D

Our first cruise was to Alaska and we have returned for 5 more. Next year we are planning a 2 wk DIY tour in Alaska, without the cruise.

Just MHO - an inside cabin will save you considerable $$ and we have booked inside on 90% of our cruises. The Princess ships we have been on have had great viewing areas. We often shared them with people who had a balcony but wanted to be out and about in the prime viewing areas. Use those $$ for the expensive shore excursions that make Alaska so special. The bear watching, whale watching, flight seeing, dog sledding, landing on a glacier. All the really good ones - even the train ride in Skagway - are expensive. You won't save much by booking them yourself, but that can be done. You will find many recommendations on the ports of call Alaska board.

Especially since you are traveling with 2 teens - don't discount these adventures! We are taking our grandchildren, one at a time, when they have their 10th birthday. We have 2 more to go:D. Consider renting a car in Skagway and driving into the Yukon - save a lot of $$. You need to reserve the car REALLY early - they don't have many.

Hi, born2cruize. I am looking at Princess' website and for four it shows a stateroom with balcony for July 8th at $5736. Maybe I am doing something wrong? There are two adults and two teens. Thanks!

You may also want to price out 2 cabins. A balcony for you and spouse (or even an inside) and an inside across the hall or next door for the teens. Sometimes the 3rd and 4th person is just as much as having them get their own room. Also, having 2 adults and 2 kids in a room with one bathroom is going to be tight. It can be done but it will be very tight. Take advantage of travel agents who may have group space and who discount and it may all work for you.

Edited by Coral

I went to Alaska my first time this June on Hal and am going again next July on Celebrity. To me the most important thing is port time and I tend to spend a lot of $$ on excursions, so I also suggest you research what you want to do in each port as well.

I save my $$ for expensive excursions (heli/dog sledding, floatplane/bear watching, etc.) by take an o/v over a balcony and spend a good deal of time on deck with my binoculars. Everyone has different priorities.

Glacier Bay and College Fjord were nice the first time around and I'll see Hubbard Glacier next time, but don't miss Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau as you can get very close and it's beautiful!

Take a look at HAL's itineraries sailing from Vancouver (yes, you can fly to Seattle and take the train, the bus or rent a car to drive to Vancouver in order to keep airfare down). They often offer 3rd/4th passengers free or for a very low fare - all you pay is the taxes on the third and fourth passenger. I sailed on HAL's 14 day itinerary (roundtrip Seattle) this past Aug. 5th with my niece and her boyfriend sharing an oceanview cabin on the Main Deck. It was fine with three in a cabin, and I wouldn't hesitate to sail with four in a cabin either. All three of us are from camping families and we're used to small spaces, packing smart to cut down on storage space, and took advantage of their Unlimited Laundry package ($99 per cabin for 14 days, $45 per cabin for 7 days) - that way we each only packed for 7 days, really helped! Make a schedule for shower time and you're set. You'll be spending so much time out on deck that you won't miss a balcony (and I went on 2 AK cruises with a balcony previously, loved it, but it certainly isn't necessary). Once on board, all three of us said we should have booked an inside on the Dolphin deck and saved even more $$$. We were out on the aft of the Lido every waking moment, in port doing very active excursions, and just plain exhausted at the end of every day. Our cabin was only used for sleeping and showering, and our system worked fine - I'm an early riser so I set my things out in my closet the night before, had a battery operated candle in the bathroom so I wouldn't have to turn on lights to disturb anyone, got dressed, brushed teeth and washed face, grabbed my travel mug and went up to the Lido for some coffee and the spectacular views. Sometimes I'd have a light breakfast in the Lido before returning to the cabin about 1 1/2 hours later to find them up, showered, and dressed for the day. Then I'd shower and meet them in the Lido for breakfast and start our day. Never a problem with bathroom usage. Again, we were prepared and were perfectly happy with the way it turned out.

I agree with previous posters, forget about the ship or even the cruiseline right now - the itinerary and times in port is key. The longer the better in port. Sitka is a lovely, real Alaskan port that is one of my favorites and should not be missed. I'm in the minority here, but I prefer Hubbard Glacier over Glacier Bay. While GB is a lovely scenic sailing day and there are several glaciers to view, Hubbard is just so massive and magnificent - haven't been disappointed the four times I have been there - always lots of calving, and fortunately, three of the four times we got very, very close.

Good luck in your planning, it is a bit overwhelming the first time but think of how prepared you'll be for your second;)! And trust me, there WILL be a second. Alaska is everything you've heard about times 10 - just breathtaking! I'm already planning my fifth trip back - this time land only renting a car or RV and heading to Denali and then Homer for a couple of weeks. It won't be til 2013, but I've got all that time to dream and plan - can't wait!