San Basilio Terminal Port of Venice / Seabourn Spirit

monemavasia

If I take a private water taxi from my hotel to the pier at San Basilio Terminal Venice to embark on the Adriatic cruise on the Seabourn Spirit, will there be porters available to bring my luggage from the pier to where I check in for the cruise?

Thanks

If I take a private water taxi from my hotel to the pier at San Basilio Terminal Venice to embark on the Adriatic cruise on the Seabourn Spirit, will there be porters available to bring my luggage from the pier to where I check in for the cruise?

Thanks

There were in 2011. Same ship, same dock. Maybe someone more recent will chime in. We loved the Spirit.:D We always use water taxis as it is just so "Venice" to do so. Where else can you feel like you are in a movie just taking a taxi?:D

Very kind of you to respond. We were concerned about having to possibly drag our luggage up from the dock. Considered using Seabourn's service, but thought it would be more convenient as well as atmospheric to have our hotel arrange our transportation. Looking forward to the Spirit! First time.

As soon as you leave your Water Taxi there will be porters there and the next time

you will see your luggage is in your statement. We will be boarding in August as we

have done for quite a few years on the 'Spirit. You have a fantastic cruise to look

forward to. I am counting the weeks.

monemavasia, I have photos of water taxis arriving at San Basilio for the Spirit last year. Unfortunately when I try to upload them for you, I get the "Upload failed" message. They're plain old jpg photos so I don't know what I'm doing wrong (no techno marvel here) but if you want to send me your e-mail address, I'll forward a couple to you so you can see the process.

If you're having good cruise karma, you will have Dr. Roy Willis (or another excellent lecturer/historian) narrating your transit through the canal. We've been lucky enough to have him 3 x from Venice & it makes the journey out twice as interesting. Enjoy.

Just a heads up: one of the crew informed me during our Spirit cruise last month that she will not be allowed to dock in San Basilio for much longer due to a change imposed by the port authority. Embarkation will be further up where the bigger ships are parked. I'm sorry but I don't know exactly when the change is scheduled to happen.

We received our tickets today and it still states embarkation - San Basilio Terminal.

My luggage also has that on, if they change it before we leave be prepared for a

long walk to reach the ship.

Hotel we would recommend is the 1L Bauer Palazzo. Never disappoints us.

Last summer before we embarked on Spirit we stayed on Giudecca at the Hilton Molino Stucky. It was a great location for watching the cruise ships come and go. As an added bonus, the Spirit was docked right across the canal. We joked that we could swim to it! If Spirit does leave from San Basilio it is a perfect location. I would suggest the water taxi. We did not do that but wished that we had. The public transportation from the hotel was a easy, but circuitous as things can be in Venice. We also had to make the dreaded bridge crossing with luggage on the ship-side. Have a great trip. You are going to love the Spirit and Seabourn!