Air Tahiti Nui question

Jim Avery

Ok, maybe a dumb question but we are booked 1/10/15 for our first PG and first time in FP. I was going over the travel docs and noticed that in the fine print, ATN says there is a 10k (22lb) limit on carry on bags. Otherwise they must be checked. Kind of defeats the purpose of carry ons. Not only is LAX famous for "lost" bags, you have to wait a very long time imho to get your bags on the return to LAX so you can spend time in Customs/Immigration. What is the consensus from the regulars? Do they really check 23lb bags?? Thanks.

ATN checks bags. At Papeete there is a person who will weigh all hand luggage with a hand scale before you check in.

Bummer. The worst part will be waiting for bags before going to Customs, etc. Good news is we have Global Entry. Should help. Worst case, if we miss our 1.5 hour connection time for Southwest (different terminal) we can rent a car and just drive home. We had much the same experience on Lufthansa from VCE/FRA so were hoping they really didn't mean it.:eek::D Maybe the best plan is like Jack Reacher, don't own a suitcase. Just buy clothes as you need them then throw them away when they get dirty. Hey, its in the books. Good reads.:D:D

Your luggage comes down in FP very quickly (you have no lay overs). Remember, you can't get to the ship any faster than the slowest person. Those flying 1st or business get their luggage first. We have never found it a long delay or lost luggage with AT (8 trips).

Not worried about that leg, it is the LAX general mess that concerns with a 1.5 hour change time.

Not worried about that leg, it is the LAX general mess that concerns with a 1.5 hour change time.

We used to hate coming into Lax especially because we are Canadians and had to stand in those awful lines for foreigners. However Global Entry changed that. Now we just breeze through ...

Your luggage comes down in FP very quickly (you have no lay overs). Remember, you can't get to the ship any faster than the slowest person. Those flying 1st or business get their luggage first. We have never found it a long delay or lost luggage with AT (8 trips).

What we have done when we get our bags early is just hop into a taxi. Of course it's important to tell the person with the passenger list so as not to inconvenience anyone while they search for you.

Our last trip we were traveling with a couple with Global Entry and they in end didn't save any time, because the bags come when the bags come. They also have kiskos for non-GE passengers which cuts down the time. Also remember LAX is the Airbus 380 capital of North America which could delay your bags if you arrive during Asian Prime time.. No airline would sell you an 1.5 hr connection (international to domestic) because it's is an illegal connection. So basically every thing will have to go perfect for you to make that connection.

I left us 5 hours, since we're flying across the country (coming and going), and switching airlines and terminals, too. Since you're closer to LAX, shouldn't be a problem if you do miss your connection. It's all about tradeoffs.

Our last trip we were traveling with a couple with Global Entry and they in end didn't save any time, because the bags come when the bags come. They also have kiskos for non-GE passengers which cuts down the time. Also remember LAX is the Airbus 380 capital of North America which could delay your bags if you arrive during Asian Prime time.. No airline would sell you an 1.5 hr connection (international to domestic) because it's is an illegal connection. So basically every thing will have to go perfect for you to make that connection.

IceCat, thanks for the info. We changed to 2:25pm flight. At least Southwest has no change fees. Hey, if all goes "perfect" (not likely at LAX) we will have time to go find a beer or two.:eek::D

• 2 weeks later...
Emdee -

You noted that Air Tahiti Nui weighs the carry-on bags in Papeete. I don't mind checking my bags for the return trip. But, I want to carry-on for the flight from LAX to PPE. Are we at risk in LAX?

You are always at risk if your carry-on is not within the size and weight limits. And, they only allow 11 lbs, which isn't very much.

Emdee -

You noted that Air Tahiti Nui weighs the carry-on bags in Papeete. I don't mind checking my bags for the return trip. But, I want to carry-on for the flight from LAX to PPE. Are we at risk in LAX?

More often than not they don't weigh at LAX but if your bag is oversize they may. In 7 trips on ATN they have never weighed my carry on at at LAX but have weighed it at Papeete about 4 out of the 7 times.

That is not to say they don't weigh in LAXjust my experience.

You are always at risk if your carry-on is not within the size and weight limits. And, they only allow 11 lbs, which isn't very much.

I thought someone earlier said 22 pounds. Which is it?