Esta required for Alaska cruise from Vancouver?

Hi there, can anyone tell me if we need an ESTA for our cruise? We are doing the glacier discovery on HAL Volendam, Vancouver return. We are travelling on our Aussie passports.

Before the cruise we are hiring a motorhome in Vancouver and will be going into USA but we do not need it for that as we are entering by land.

If there's a chance you may visit somewhere in the US again in the next two years, you might want to hold off 'til closer to the cruise. It's valid for two years from the date you apply so no point wasting the time if you don't need it.

I was actually surprised to see some didn't have the ESTA on our SYD-Hawaii cruise, and the line let them organise it during the sailing, so long as they had it before they reached HNL. It all worked out for them, but that's leaving it a bit close for me!

Rather than leave it till the last minute - do a mock run through now to see if you qualify for the waiver. If you answer "Yes" to any of their questions you will have to go through the full Visa application instead of just the Waiver - the cost is only $14 US per person so it's no biggie if you get it early.

Also of note - if you have been charged with DUI you may have difficulty in entering Canada as they may see that as a criminal conviction and refuse entry.

We too are hiring an RV in Canada later this year. We are really looking forward to the trip. Hope all goes well with your plans and trip.

Edited by Bizziecruzer
typo

We are going to US, Alaska and Canada in July.

Make sure you have 6 months validity on your passport. I emailed the US Consulate in Sydney and received this reply. "US law states that an individual’s passport needs to be valid for six months at the time of one’s entry".

Our passports expiry 1st March 2016 so we will have to renew them before we leave. Also you get a new passport number so we can't complete the ESTA until we receive the new passports.

We are going to US, Alaska and Canada in July.

Make sure you have 6 months validity on your passport. I emailed the US Consulate in Sydney and received this reply. ]"US law states that an individual’s passport needs to be valid for six months at the time of one’s entry[/b]".

Our passports expiry 1st March 2016 so we will have to renew them before we leave. Also you get a new passport number so we can't complete the ESTA until we receive the new passports.

Great advice.

You can update your ESTA at any time - so if you get a new passport you go back into your application using the info emailed to you at the time you originally apply and update the details.

No, if you get a new passport you have to apply for a new ESTA.

If you obtain a new passport or there is a change to your passport information, you must apply for a new travel authorization and pay the associated fees. See What information can I update? for a full listing of information that can be changed after submission of your application.

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/WebHelp/ESTA_Screen-Level_Online_Help_1.htm#uta1

Guest zafra63
Hi there, can anyone tell me if we need an ESTA for our cruise? We are doing the glacier discovery on HAL Volendam, Vancouver return. We are travelling on our Aussie passports.

Before the cruise we are hiring a motorhome in Vancouver and will be going into USA but we do not need it for that as we are entering by land.

You better check this, ESTA is required when entering USA.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Specific question addressed by Border Security, saying it is not required when entering by land, but other paperwork to be completed at the border.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1132/~/citizen-of-visa-waiver-country,-wants-to-drive-into-u.s.-from-canada-or-mexico,

Always remember, if you are in transit in a US airport on the way to Canada, you have to have an ESTA.

No, actually only air and cruise. :D

We were required to have it when we travelled between the Mexico and the US and also Canada and the US on a coach. The rules must have changed or they were just checking for our further travels.

Edited by MicCanberra

We were required to have it when we travelled between the Mexico and the US and also Canada and the US on a coach. The rules must have changed or they were just checking for our further travels.

Maybe they were just checking your credentials. As per above link, it's not required for that and been that way since ESTA came in.