Pls confirm my public transportation directions (LaGuardia-hotel-cruise-Newark)

Canagirl

I'm going on a cruise with my elderly mother, husband and our 1 year old. We aren't going to be bringing a carseat and don't want to put our daughter in a taxi without one. I've looked into car service (a few will provide carseats), but with 4 people + luggage, it looks like we'd need a larger vehicle and it seems quite expensive. Tentatively, our plan is for me to take my mother via taxi with our luggage and my husband will take my daughter via public transit.

This is what I've come up with and would be very thankful for someone to confirm (as my husband always needs very accurate directions!) or correct me if I'm wrong:

From LaGuardia to hotel at 123rd West 57th Street, New York (on Wed. Dec. 2 - likely around 3 - 4 p.m.)

-Take bus Q70 to Roosevelt Avenue/74th Street (4 stops)

-Walk about a minute to subway at Jackson Heights/Roosevelt Ave

-Take F train towards Kings Hwy (4 stops)

-Exit at 57th Street (will be at 57th & 6th Street)

From Hotel (123 W 57th St) to NCL cruise terminal (711 12th Avenue) morning of Thurs. Dec. 3

-Take Bus M31 from 57th St/7th Ave toward Clinton 11 Ave (5 stops)

-Exit at 54th St/11 Ave

-Walk about 5 minutes to terminal

From cruise terminal to Newark Airport (Sun. Dec. 13)

I'm not sure about this one?

-Go to Port Authority Bus Terminal (likely walk - about 25 minutes) at 41st Street between 8th and 9th

-Take Coach Bus to Newark

Any help (confirmation/suggestions) is greatly appreciated!

I'm going on a cruise with my elderly mother, husband and our 1 year old. We aren't going to be bringing a carseat and don't want to put our daughter in a taxi without one. I've looked into car service (a few will provide carseats), but with 4 people + luggage, it looks like we'd need a larger vehicle and it seems quite expensive. Tentatively, our plan is for me to take my mother via taxi with our luggage and my husband will take my daughter via public transit.

This is what I've come up with and would be very thankful for someone to confirm (as my husband always needs very accurate directions!) or correct me if I'm wrong:

From LaGuardia to hotel at 123rd West 57th Street, New York (on Wed. Dec. 2 - likely around 3 - 4 p.m.)

-Take bus Q70 to Roosevelt Avenue/74th Street (4 stops)

-Walk about a minute to subway at Jackson Heights/Roosevelt Ave

-Take F train towards Kings Hwy (4 stops)

-Exit at 57th Street (will be at 57th & 6th Street)

From Hotel (123 W 57th St) to NCL cruise terminal (711 12th Avenue) morning of Thurs. Dec. 3

-Take Bus M31 from 57th St/7th Ave toward Clinton 11 Ave (5 stops)

-Exit at 54th St/11 Ave

-Walk about 5 minutes to terminal

Just to clarify: 711 12th Avenue is the address for the vehicle entrance to the cruise terminals complex. Taxis enter the terminals complex via an elevated roadway from 12th Ave & 54th St and then drop you off at the entrance to the pier itself (Pier 88.)

But: If taking the M31 bus to West 54th St/11th Ave as described above, you would then walk to the pedestrian entrance of Pier 88 at West 48th St and 12th Ave--not to the vehicle entrance. So, this is a bit of a longer walk--I'd say 10 to 15 minutes, depending on the pace.

As a possible alternative to the M31 bus, you could take the M12 bus from Columbus Circle to the bus stop at West 48th St and 11th Ave. This involves a slightly longer walk from your hotel to where you board the bus, but gets you much closer to Pier 88. Plus, you'd be boarding the bus at the start of the route, so would be quite likely to get seats.

You can download bus timetables in pdf form here:

http://web.mta.info/nyct/service/bus/mhtnsch.htm

From cruise terminal to Newark Airport (Sun. Dec. 13)

I'm not sure about this one?

-Go to Port Authority Bus Terminal (likely walk - about 25 minutes) at 41st Street between 8th and 9th

-Take Coach Bus to Newark

Yes, that sounds about right. Walking time again will depend on your pace & the route you take. For what it's worth, Google Maps estimates the walking time as 17 minutes, but I'd say that's probably a bit optimistic with a 1-year-old and grandmother in your group.

The airport bus leaves from outside the Port Authority Bus Terminal; the website says the pickup point is on "the Port Authority side of 41st Street between 8th and 9th Avenue." See these web pages for more information:

http://www.coachusa.com/olympia/ss.details.asp?action=Lookup&c1=New+York&s1=NY&c2=Newark+Liberty+Airport&s2=NJ&resultId=165449&order=&dayFilter=&scheduleChoice=&sitePageName=%2Findex.asp&cbid=155987432106

http://www.coachusa.com/info/olympia/ss.toolkit.wheretobuy.asp

Any help (confirmation/suggestions) is greatly appreciated!

Hope the information I've provided above is helpful. Bon voyage!

Edited by Post Captain

Not sure if there is any way to get a metro card at LGA?? IF you don't, then you will need to have US COIN for the bus, no change, no bills. IF you don't get a Metrocard, you will have to pay again- $2.75 to ride the subway. IF that is your only option- then load the Metro card- for your entire trip.

It probably would be better for you to consider walking to Circle Line on 12th and taking the 42 bus to Port Authority. That walk is going to get "longer" with hauling luggage, with everyone. Again- PLAN ahead- And LOAD that Metro Card for everyone, if you decide not to walk the mile.

Edited by Budget Queen

Not sure if there is any way to get a metro card at LGA?? IF you don't, then you will need to have US COIN for the bus, no change, no bills. IF you don't get a Metrocard, you will have to pay again- $2.75 to ride the subway. IF that is your only option- then load the Metro card- for your entire trip.

There are MetroCard vending machines at each terminal. Of course, they charge the usual $1 new card fee, I believe.

(And at least you can theoretically use cash on buses in NYC, unlike London where they've eliminated cash completely on the bus.)

Oh, one tip that I got wrong back when I was a tourist: if you have a group and swipe the MetroCard multiple times on the bus to pay for them all, you need to swipe once at the subway station to allow your whole party to transfer. Additional swipes will just deplete your account balance for no benefit. (The fare gate will show 'GO 4 XFERS' or whatever, to show how many people can get through on that swipe.)

MetroCard multiple times on the bus to pay for them all, you need to swipe once at the subway station to allow your

Note that you are limited to FOUR swipes the initial time per Metrocard. The card only holds a max of four transfer on the 5th swipe you will overwrite the four previous swipes. So you need one metrocard per four people.

Hudson News in Terminals A/B (a.k.a. Marine Air or Central) may have metrocards. I don't know about Cibo in Terminals C & D, oh wait Cibo's in A behind security too.

FWIA

Edited by Brighton Line

There are MetroCard vending machines at each terminal. Of course, they charge the usual $1 new card fee, I believe.

(And at least you can theoretically use cash on buses in NYC, unlike London where they've eliminated cash completely on the bus.)

Oh, one tip that I got wrong back when I was a tourist: if you have a group and swipe the MetroCard multiple times on the bus to pay for them all, you need to swipe once at the subway station to allow your whole party to transfer. Additional swipes will just deplete your account balance for no benefit. (The fare gate will show 'GO 4 XFERS' or whatever, to show how many people can get through on that swipe.)

Yes, if you need a card, then you have to pay the $1 fee. Yes, buses still do take coin. My point was- if you don't have a Metro Card, you can NOT use bills. :) I always have spare metro cards and always use them. But, I've picked up the 42 bus at Circle Line from a cruise, and MOST people getting on, do not have either, and have to step off. Not being aware of this.

You don't swipe a multi passenger transfer, more than once, either, on a bus, ONE swipe- will state how many transfers you have (within the certain time guidelines)

Just a few quick food for thoughts - on traveling with a one year old (in about 2 weeks) - I understand OP do not want to bring an infant car seat and thus not risk by riding a taxi/car service ... maybe, worth reconsidering. Early December in NY can be cold & chilly (snow is remote, but possible) and mass transit for the infant isn't necessary a "wise" idea. Besides, the airline will exempt the infant car seat from luggage fees & allow that onboard as carry-on. It might slow OP down a few minutes deplaning, but you are likely gate/checking the rest of the luggage & need to go to arrival hall downstairs to retrieve the rest of the bags anyway ... it is usually quick, 10 or 15 minutes & most luggage reaching the carousel area. And, you are still going to use a taxi for elderly parent & yourself plus the luggage.

Just wondering if the "hassle" factors involved are worth the nominal savings. You are arriving in the afternoon rush hour and taxi is NOT the way to go/travel into Manhattan for W. 57th Street - car service like Dial7 or Carmel is a confirmed, fixed & flat rate (4 door sedan is $30 to $38, over capacity) - the minivan rate is $50 (or, as little as $12 over the sedan) and there's a $3 or $4 online discount code to be used to offset that a little + possible toll of $7.50 (depending on the routing) plus tipping @ 20% of the fare. Metro card is $2.75 for the ride with free bus/subway transfer plus $1 charge for the card, one-time only - the net saving is as little as $8.25, or the price of a single drink before gratutity.

Between the hotel & Pier 88/90 for NCL sailing, it's a short 10 minutes ride, less than 10 blocks - fares + tips, less than $15 unless you are stranded in real heavy traffic approaching the terminal, go early around 10 AM & you should avoid it. For such a short trip, the hotel doorman/bellhop should be able to flag down a yellow van-taxi to fit all into one, with the luggage - easier than spliting up - so, forget about the M31 or M12 bus and more walking, up & down the steps.

If OP follow & re-think the logistics and re-evaluate the cost of booking a minivan direct to EWR post-cruise, it's relatively easy to meet the Dial7 or Carmel driver across 12th Avenue @ 48th Street (mid-block at W. 48th. Street is easiest, from our own repeat experiences) after clearing customs/immigration with all the luggage, as it's a slow 10+ minutes walk out onto 12th Avenue. It's a pretty long walk in early winter from the Pier @ 48th Street to the Port Authority with those long city blocks - especially with a one year old, even with zero luggage or backpack, etc.

Just my two cents - both recommended car service have free mobile APP fore real-time update once a reservation is confirmed & car/driver dispatch is done/en route - assuming you have a Canada smartphone plan that allow for use in the US, at reasonable roaming rates or no charge.

I totally agree with your observations - you expressed them very well - much better than I could. My initial gut reaction to this thread was incredulity. The OP is traveling with her elderly mother, husband, and 1 year old (and I assume a stroller) and she's going to send DH and the 1 year old off to explore the New York Bus and subway system by themselves because she doesn't want to also bring a car seat?????

What more can I say? Everyone has chimed in to provide detailed directions and suggestions to the OP without a lot of commentary about the big picture plan. If it were me, I wouldn't be organizing such a complicated plan that involved splitting folks up. I'd bring the car seat, keep everyone together, and book the car service transportation or do the airport bus and taxi.

Thanks everyone.

I appreciate the tips about the purchasing the card.

I appreciate the advice and opinions. Although I didn't detail it in my post, I have given this a lot of thought and research and my preference would most definitely be to bring a carseat.

My almost 2 year old will no longer fit into her infant seat. We have an excellent seat for her now. Although we would gate check it, our friends recently had their seat damaged before it was returned to them and my husband is refusing to take the risk with a $400 seat. He saw the condition their seat was returned in and there is no way I can convince him to bring our seat.

I've looked into a cheap seat to buy and bring solely for the trip. There are some available in the States. Nothing in those price ranges available in Canada. I could buy a seat in the U.S. to use solely for the trip, but I wouldn't have it for the trip from the airport to hotel. The seat wouldn't be able to be used at home either as carseats are one of the few items that can't be used in Canada if bought in the States.

I know that carseats aren't legally required for taxis in NYC, and some do go without, but I wouldn't risk it with my daughter.

Back in October, I got a quote from Dial 7. They will provide a carseat but there are only 2 vehicles they will provide it in. They said with the number of people and more than 3 pieces of luggage we need an SUV and quoted:

1. airport to hotel - $125, 2. hotel to cruise port - $115 and 3. cruise port to airport $135. (quoted fares do not include tip, tolls, potential stops, or potential waiting time)

I thought #2 was pricey compared to the others based on the distance, but I'm accepting that is the rate. When I convert those figures to Canadian (at a 35% exchange rate which is what we'd pay when we factor in the extra 2.5% charged through credit card for conversion) we'd be looking at a bit over $500 CDN before tip for the car service. Perhaps I should request a quote for just 2 of us and see what it amounts to.

Then there is Uber. UberX will provide carseats if you request it in the app. We'd likely have to take 2 vehicles as carseats aren't an option in the larger vehicles. I don't know if there is any controversy regarding Uber in NYC, but there is a lot currently in Toronto. I haven't used it (but downloaded the app just to check it out since during my research I saw that carseats were an option in NYC).

Regarding a cell plan, we didn't have a plan that included U.S., but have arranged a travel plan specifically for the trip.

I completely understand what everyone is saying (believe me, I've thought the same things MANY times!!!). Point taken and I fully understand.

I am thankful for the help and advice everyone has provided.

Edited by Canagirl

I'm sorry that you find yourself in such a Catch-22 situation with the car seat. Thanks for providing more insight into the issues involved.

My only other suggestion would be to reconsider your husband's trip from LaGuardia into the city. The airport bus is $14 and can drop you at Grand Central. Children under 3 are free. At Grand Central he could take the S train shuttle to Times Square ( this train runs all the time) and transfer to the N,Q or R uptown train to go two stops to 57th St. This should put him almost as close to the hotel as the F train and would perhaps be a more comfortable trip for the two of them.

Everything has a risk agreed. Has your husband utilized NYC public transportation getting from LGA to Manhattan then walking to pier and crossing busy intersections with a baby? There's always the risk that the train or bus can crash Evidently you will be holding the baby in your lap on the plane. There's a risk involved with that too.

Risk the $400 car seat instead of putting your little one through the ordeal of getting to the cruise ship. -or- If Uber promises you a car seat take that. Uber works well in NYC. Two options you should consider unless your hubby is very experienced in getting around with baby in Manhattan.

Thanks everyone.

So, great news - I finally convinced my husband to bring a carseat (mainly because of the comments in this thread). We aren't bringing ours. A friend is no longer using theirs and it fits our daughter. They were nice enough to say we can use it for the trip. Hope it stays in one piece, but if not they have assured us they don't need it.

I thank you all for your tips and advice.

I guess now I should contact the 2 recommended car services and see what their rates would be if we bring our own carseat. Based on what was mentioned in this thread, it sounds like it is felt those would be a better option than a cab?

Hoping Dial7 will allow us to install our own seat in the minivan (instead of the Select SUV that they indicated is the only vehicle for 4 people they will provide their carseat in). I'll also contact Carmel.

Glad this worked out in the end and thanks for the help!

Edited by Canagirl

So glad the car seat thing is working out for you. I think you will be much happier traveling together as a group.

What do you plan on doing in the ports you are visiting? Even with the car seat you may have similar issues with transportation for your child. From what I've seen, seat belts can be very scarce in the Caribbean.

Thumbs up for bringing & using a car seat, especially the weather forecast is for "chilly" days next week. Put the car seat in a big clear plastic bag & luggage tag it, and the airline counter check-in should put a "Fragile" tag on it (obvious to the handlers ... but not always to the conveyer belts during the ground transport process) Take a photo or 2 as proof & file an airline claim if damaged.

Car service drivers, we used Carmel - are friendly, courteous and dispatched from 700+ fleet vehicles are well maintained, serviced in their own garage & regularly inspected - far better, IMO, than those "ride-sharing" partners. In fact, I would just re-check the minivan rate & book it, there is no reason for them to refuse the installation of a car seat even in the backseat of a 4 door sedan, let alone a minivan. It's been our experience that Dial7 charged a slightly higher rate and also more likely to invoke/charge a surge pricing rate if demands are high - Carmel isn't known for that (and, from their FAQ:)

Q - ... for 4 or more people & 3 pc. of luggage

A - Our mini-vans are spacious and can easily accommodate a significant amount of luggage. The mini-van will fit up to 5 people with 5 pieces of luggage. If there are more than five in your party, we can offer a large passenger van or a stretch limousine, which can accommodate up to 12 passengers (Lincoln stretch), or our Hummer Stretches that accommodate up to 15 passengers (if there is no luggage).

Q - Do I have to bring a car seat for my child

A - If your child is under the age of 7, legally your child must be in a car seat. All passengers must provide their own car seats. Carmel does not provide car seats.

https://www.carmellimo.com/Faq.shtml

Edited by mking8288

Thank you for the faq and info on Carmel, mking8288.

Do I have to book in advance? I'm just concerned if there are flight or luggage delays, I would guess (since it is pre-arranged) they are waiting and there may be additional charges for that? Or, do you book in advance but call and they send someone when you are ready? If that is the case, I'll book in advance without worry. Even if there is a bit of a wait, that isn't a problem. My mother won't be in a wheelchair when we leave the airport, but will have one at the airport and when exiting the plane, so we may be a bit delayed.

Our return flight isn't until a bit after 4 (from Newark although we're flying into LaGuardia) so we have time and it is a Sunday so less traffic. Should I estimate maybe a 10 a.m. pickup directly at the port or is it better to be picked up somewhere else close by? Again, concerned there may be customs or other delays that will result in extra charges.

Is a 20% tip adequate/standard for both car service and taxis (if we take a taxi from the hotel to the port)?

138east - we aren't too concerned about the carseat at the ports. My husband and I have been to all the locations before and we like to cruise for the 'cruise' itself. We don't plan on using any transportation at the ports. My mother won't venture far from the ship (mobility issues) and we'll likely get off for a short time with our daughter but not require the carseat for transportation since we'll walk.

You are right that most airlines let you gate check a carseat, but not Air Canada! They'll let us gate check the stroller. I spoke with someone that recently travelled with the carseat and the process is as described by mking8288. Hopefully the fragile sticker will let the carseat arrive in one piece, but we'll hope for the best as I know things aren't handled carefully a lot of the time. I will take a couple pictures.

Thanks so much for all the help.

Edited by Canagirl

Canagirl - It's fine to pre-book your minivan ahead (assumed you will have use of your smartphone, SMS/texting & email) once you flight is wheels down @LGA. After online confirmation - with Carmel, give them a call & speak to the base/dispatcher, reference your mobile # (as they typically use that for easy lookup in their computerized system) - and let them know you will call for pickup after arrival with all the luggages ready. They will track your flight's inbound status & know of delays, if any, and be expecting your call to pickup.

When we fly home into LGA, we call as we head inside for the terminal, either curbside with carry-ons, or downstairs (a short & easy walk / elevator down) to luggage (and, call from there) - the assigned car will likely be on standby at their nearby garage/base off the airport, typically 10 minutes, maybe 15 minutes at most due to in-airport traffic getting to the curb. Then, load up everyone & luggage, buckle the baby up & off you go to the hotel.

Carmel (true for Dial7) has a free mobile APP (iOS and Android, which I use) that will show your reservation/pickup status, car # and driver's info/details on color of vehicle and ETA/current location ... very neat & cool.

Yes, 20% tipping is quite fine and the driver will be appreciative (we always round it up to the nearest dollar, or two for excellent service & for good/safe driving - and they are) There is a $4 coupon discount for trips coming from the airport, you will get a "validation" code after making the reservation, write it down & put in on the coupon, hand it to the driver & it will be deduced from your fare. Going to EWR post-cruise, assuming you are happy with the car service, there is a $5 coupon for out of town trip above $60 - going to NJ for your PM flight will qualify, same as above - get the code, write it on the coupon & hand it to the driver. Details & the coupon is on their website. Being fair & equal to Dial7 - I also have their current coupon/codes, if desired & will post here.

The GEM returned to NYC this Monday morning & docked around 7:30 AM (for its scheduled 10 AM arrival as listed) and sailed at 4 PM - typically, Express Self-Walkoff start about 1 hour afterward (or 8:30) and it take a while for the mad rush to exit the gangway before the color coded zone pax are called (9:15 to 9:30 or later) - so I would imagine booking a 10:30 or 10:45 AM pickup would be "safer" than 10 AM since you aren't in a hurry. Mom can wait for wheelchair assistance to come off the ship, and I would plan for extra time with immigration/custom (due to global events lately & various warnings and alerts, etc.) There is plenty of time to call Carmel while the ship sailed slowly into NY's Lower Bay/harbor, with another 2+ hours before it's your turn to disembark - to tell them you are early, on-time & will call back later when outside with luggage to be picked up, or running late & give them a new estimated time.

As for the pickup location on where to best meet the car service/driver - with the increased transportation security measures in place around the city & most likely, extended to the port facilities - going across 12th Avenue @ West 48th Street, maybe mid-block would be a good "spot" for the arrangement with the driver. Again, the Carmel Mobile App has handy for us earlier this year when we sailed - worked like a homing device to keep track of our car/driver & watched the moving mini-map that he's 2 blocks away & ready to make a left turn, etc.

These detailed steps have worked for us over the years and since they are not a meet & greet luxury limo service inside the terminal, there is no charge if your flight/ship is delayed - as long as you give them reasonable notice once you realized it's not going accordingly to schedule. Prebooking it now for next week & week after meant that your advanced reservation are in their system, pending confirmation on actual arrival - and, we always call them the night before or the morning of the travel day, ahead of scheduled pickup time, as a reconfirmation - so that there's no mix-up.

Thank you so much, mking8288. Your posts have been very helpful and I really appreciate it.

I will pre-book.

I will have access to cell/texting/data. I'm going to be swapping out my Canadian SIM card with a Roam Mobility SIM card (since it is far cheaper than our roaming rates). It allows you to activate it in advance for the days you need it so I will do so the first 2 days of the trip and the last day (other than Puerto Rico, there is no where else service is available during our trip). It will assign me a U.S. number. Although it won't work until we are in the U.S. (apparently it works on the T-mobile network which isn't available in Canada), I'm going to activate the SIM card online and see if it will assign me the telephone number prior to entering the U.S. (that would make things a lot easier).

Again, I appreciate all the help.

• 3 weeks later...

Now that we are back, just wanted to make a post for anyone else looking to book travel in the NYC area.

The carseat survived both plane rides with no damage:)

Thanks for the assistance in this thread, we used Carmel - with coupons for both rides - and it worked well. Our flight to LaGuardia was a bit delayed, but we called when we got in and the driver was there quickly. Not familiar with the airport, we had a bit of trouble figuring out where the phone rep told us to go and meet the driver. However, the driver called us when he was at the airport and we were then able to find him without issue. There was a huge amount of traffic that day so it was likely a very good decision not to use a taxi.

Leaving the Gem I had requested an approximate 10:45 a.m. pickup. Since we had a later flight, we were in no rush and picked the last colour luggage tags to leave the ship. I called Carmel around 8:30 a.m. just to confirm everything and let them know I'd call again when we cleared customs. Debarkation was really slow (which was fine for us as we weren't in a rush). The lavender tags were expected to debark around 9:50 but it was a bit later that we were called. We waited in line over a half hour to debark after our colour was called which is the slowest debarkation in our 5 cruises. My mother was having difficulty standing for that long as we weren't expecting it but just managed. Not sure if it is typical for the Gem, but the gangway to exit was mid-ship on 7th level and was very steep. Quite different than any other time we left the Gem at ports (or any other ship). The small plate connecting the ship to the gangway wasn't well secured - it moved around when stepped on. I believe the steepness of the gangway may have been the cause of some of the delay. I had to carry my daughter as I didn't know if she'd remain in the stroller due to the steepness of the ramp. I saw in the roll call thread that another passenger broke an ankle debarking, however I don't know if it was related to this or not.

In any event, we were finally ready for pickup around 11:15. The port was very busy due to the Breakaway also being there. There was no way my mother could walk further so we hoped Carmel could pick us up at the Pier. The porter said to tell them to come to the second level where the taxis are. I called and the person said they will only come to the lower level. The porter said to tell them it was crazy busy and there was no way they'd be able to get in there. They put me through to dispatch and arranged to go to the second level. We spoke on the phone a couple times with the driver as it took a while to get into the area and there were tons of people. We found him and the ride to Newark was quick. We had ordered a minivan but got an SUV for this ride which had more room.

In addition, I have to say the security staff and all other staff at Newark airport were amazingly friendly. At Pearson in Toronto that wasn't the case. We went through the 'family' security line in Toronto and they were friendly and helpful but everyone else seems to have a bit of a 'bully' attitude yelling at passengers both at departure and arrival which is completely unnecessary and rude. At Newark, they hand searched 2 of our bags (we were happy about the extra security) and were so polite and apologized about not being able to get all the stuff back into our diaper bag.

If we sail out of the area again, we'd use Carmel again and were happy with the choice!

Thanks for the help in this thread.

Edited by Canagirl

Thank you for the post-cruise update, wondering how things went. Bring a smile to all of us here on CC when we get feedback on our recommendations, that practically/almost everything went as planned - what worked & didn't, etc.

The steep angle of the gangway ramp might be related to the changing tidal level, just my guess (as they always seemed to use deck 7 from our varied sailings out of Pier 88/90 over the past decade+ )

Free upgrade to SUV was complimentary & at no extra charge, I trust - that's nice of Carmel. We had previously booked a 4 door sedan & got a free upgrade to Wi-Fi equipped minivan, as that's what Carmel had available for dispatch when we called for pickup.