traveler's checks

goat rancher

I emailed Azamara but didn't get an answer back.

Does Azamara accept/cash traveler's checks?

We don't want to carry a lot of cash with us if we don't have to, especially during the time before we board in Rio de Janeiro. We were hoping to split what we bring into cash we'll need ashore before boarding, and traveler's checks that we could cash at the customer service desk as needed onboard for use at port stops.

Thanks.

Liz

We used ATMs in Rio and throughout Brazil for that matter. You simply need to look for ones with the CashPoints signs or the MasterCard, Visa, etc. logos on them. They also don't work like US ATMs, so you'll have to insert your card twice (don't get discouraged when the machine tells you to withdraw your card the first time; some people on our cruise assumed that meant their card had been rejected and they gave up at that point). Just follow the instructions on the machine and you'll eventually get your money.;)

Traveler's checks really have become obsolete. I think you probably would be better off having ATM capability. Sometimes the ship runs out of currency and then you still only have US$ which have to be processed into local cash. Using the ATM, it is dispensed in local cash. Even in US, I have had traveler's checks refused when I tried to use in grocery and even the banks -- the young'uns at the cashier don't know what they are or how to "sell" them. Also on the US cash that you are carrying --especially for on shore use-- take it in very small bills. Merchants will not take bigger bills or bills that are worn (in some countries) and they sure don't give you a good rate or even ANY change.

Remember to notify every credit card you might use on your travels. They are quick to "close down" the card if there is a problem and problem is defined as a charge in certain countries. Carry more than one kind of card -- each bank or group of banks control various ATM's in a country and your card needs to be in that cooperating bank system. If one card does not work in getting cash then you need a second as backup possibility. I also have certain credit cards with a large credit limit. If you got sick or needed to buy a walk up ticket home you would need lots of credit space. I also would consider a travel jacket or vest that has many compartments. Good for stuffing cash in many safe places. Even wallet in front pocket or strong purse is not enough for keeping the truly professional pick pockets away. We got our vest at Bass Pro Shop for $30 (fishing vest) but fancier ones are available on-line. Really works to keep things close (camera/cash/passport/credit cards/I-phone) and because you can take jacket/vest off and send through TSA you have not marked where the important stuff is in the vest.

We took USD & Euro Traveler's Cheques on our Baltic cruise. I bought both currencies on a regular basis for months before our cruise. Thank gosh I did as if I relied on ATM's I would have been subjected to a much, much higher rate than when I had purchased it. We have accounts in both currencies at our bank and just before we left we bought TC's and were able to cash them as needed for tours etc at Guest Relations for no charge. Worked perfectly:) I would never spend the time to attempt to cash them off the ship or anywhere else and I never buy them except for cruising. We have debit and credit cards but only use them if necessary to top up funds. Even though both cards are Chip & PIN I try and lessen my exposure to scammers on ATM machines etc while travelling. Not so much a problem if you are at home.

thanks everyone for all the information...

have lots to think about....

We had some extra time today and actually sat down and started making a list of ports

and potential money needs at each port (ie. meals/souvenirs/etc)

Once we get that totaled up, we'll have a better feel for how much cash we need total. Our biggest expenditures will actually be before we board, since we are staying in Rio for a couple of days ahead of time.

We are really leery of using ATMS if we don't have to....Even here at home we ONLY use the ATM at the bank. We don't ever use ones in other businesses. and on the trip we'd only be comfortable using ones onboard ship if the need arose.

We always call the credit card company and tell them exactly where we are going so we don't get those "surprises", but ideally we will only be using the credit card to pay for the hotel in Rio and then any onboard expenses after we are home. Everything else will be cash, either US$ or local currency depending on where we are.

The fishing jacket idea sounds interesting....will check that out....

Once we are onboard, we will feel safe...it is just those few days in Rio that have us concerned about financial security and how best to be safe...

Thanks again.

Liz

When in Rio, please be sure to leave your good jewelry and extra cash, etc., in the room safe. Rip is famous for pick pockets. We have been there several times, and have very good friends that live in Brasilia, and even they do not carry valuables in Rio. It is a beautiful city and has some magnificent sights, so do enjoy your time there. Just be safe