Flowers in Seattle

JohnCoMo

There's a very average florist on International Blvd, which is where most airport hotels are located, adjacent to the Washington Memorial Park.

The bouquets we are talking about ($10-15 for what is a $100 bouquet from a florist - it's insane) are found at most farmer's markets in the area -

I'd say that the bouquets you can get at Pike Place Market (or at many of the local farmers markets) can't be had from most florists for any price! They are seasonal, locally-grown flowers, sold by the farmers who grew them. They're more like what you'd see in a really nice home garden, rather than the standard flowers that florists fly in from some far-away place and sell year-round. To me they just look more soft and natural, and less polished and perfect--which I prefer!

Here's one more possibility, depending on when your shuttle picks you up. The Des Moines Waterfront Farmers Market starts the season June 6, and opens Saturday mornings at 10 am. It's a nice little market, right on the water, next to the Des Moines marina. They should have at least one or two flower vendors. It shouldn't be a bad cab ride from your hotel (if the hotel has a shuttle they might even run you down there), and it will take less time than getting to Pike Place and back. You could be there when they open and be back at your hotel by 11 am.

I have had only one cruise where the steward was unable (and did not even try) to get a vase, and that was Carnival. On Princess, HAL and NCL the steward would see flowers and get me a vase without asking.

Attached are my $5 flowers from the Market (sorry the pic is sideways)

P1040195.jpg.2a877050fd3b3b12a9633bb1780e2f50.jpg

And in case you've wondered about the folks who grow and sell most of the flowers you've bought at Pike Place Market, here's a little background. Many of them are Hmong immigrants who went through a lot of hardships before they settled in to a new life in western Washington, farming and bringing us all that beauty.

http://kuow.org/post/few-know-blood-we-shed-say-seattles-hmong-farmers

And in case you've wondered about the folks who grow and sell most of the flowers you've bought at Pike Place Market, here's a little background. Many of them are Hmong immigrants who went through a lot of hardships before they settled in to a new life in western Washington, farming and bringing us all that beauty.

http://kuow.org/post/few-know-blood-we-shed-say-seattles-hmong-farmers

I plan to buy flowers for our up coming cruise at PPM and this is wonderful to know some history of the farmers. Thank you for sharing that link, these are things we were certainly never taught about in school.

Edited by NewEnglandNANA

• 2 weeks later...
smallP9140084.jpg.d63ec4277b862dd159e26105fc05dd7a.jpgHere is a photo of my $10 bouquet from 2010. The flowers from PPM are outstanding and the cost is almost laughable. I wanted to buy tons of bouquets! :) I might also try the Des Mouines Market. We are staying at the Cedarbrook Lodge near the a/p and plan to use UBER or the light rail. I am considering getting to pier 91 early and then walking back the Market and getting my flowers and taking a taxi or UBER back to the ship, depending on the weather. Edited by sunneesmile

We get flowers from PPM everytime we sail out of Seattle. Usually I buy a Dollar Tree vase (one of the big plastic clear ones) at home and stuff it with socks, underwear, whatever. I also bring some Dollar Tree florist "marbles" to add weight to the bottom of the vase so it doesn't tip over from being top heavy with the blooms and the ocean movement.

We hit PPM early in the morning then gather our stuff and take a cab or have a friend drop us off at the ship (we're lucky to have friends in the area)

I carry the wrapped bouquet in my arms like a Beauty Pageant winner, and feel like one boarding the ship with those beautiful flowers. Lots of admiring looks. The bouquets with peonies at PPM are like works of art.

At the end of the cruise we leave it all behind. I suspect the stewards get to enjoy them in their cabins a few more days before tossing them out.

We will be departing May 16th on the Crown Princess and plan to visit PPM the day before the cruise, will there be flowers at the market this early in the season?

Sure--different ones than you'll see in August, but they'll have something. The growers know what they're doing--they plant so that they'll have something to sell all season. Right now I know we're getting tulips, daffodils and lilacs, and probably other stuff.

We get flowers from PPM everytime we sail out of Seattle. Usually I buy a Dollar Tree vase (one of the big plastic clear ones) at home and stuff it with socks, underwear, whatever. I also bring some Dollar Tree florist "marbles" to add weight to the bottom of the vase so it doesn't tip over from being top heavy with the blooms and the ocean movement.

We hit PPM early in the morning then gather our stuff and take a cab or have a friend drop us off at the ship (we're lucky to have friends in the area)

I carry the wrapped bouquet in my arms like a Beauty Pageant winner, and feel like one boarding the ship with those beautiful flowers. Lots of admiring looks. The bouquets with peonies at PPM are like works of art.

At the end of the cruise we leave it all behind. I suspect the stewards get to enjoy them in their cabins a few more days before tossing them out.

Like a Beauty Pageant winner - that made me smile! :) I also found a plastic vase at Dollar Tree, and the marbles too. I am looking forward to having this beautiful addition to our cabin! Now, I will have to convince my husband to take the time to go to the Market that morning, rather than getting to the port as early as we usually do. ;)

We will be departing May 16th on the Crown Princess and plan to visit PPM the day before the cruise, will there be flowers at the market this early in the season?

My friends just came back from Seattle this week from a convention. Pike's had beautiful, huge, inexpensive bouquets.

I have purchased flowers from Pikes Market before sailing and our cabin steward brought me a champagne bucket to use for a vase. The flowers filled it up.

We are cruising on May 17 on Princess and I plan to buy flowers again. I am just going to ask the cabin steward for a champagne bucket. Since they are silver in color, it makes the arrangement look quite formal and expensive.