Alaska Cruise Basics

thecruiserofships

Two seasons ago (2013) I got the amazing privilege of taking an Alaska cruise vacation and really enjoyed Alaska and the cruise.

Since then I (mostly me) and a close family member have spent time writing Alaska tips and posting them on my blog. I shared this here last year around this time to help those that were indecisive about planning for their Alaska cruise vacation or just wanted something to read about Alaska.

I thought I would share this here again this year instead of the typical blog/website section because the information I share pertains specifically to the people here. I try to give tips that can be applied to any cruise line or itinerary, but I also give some itinerary specific information too!

http://www.embarkandaway.com/alaska.html

Please enjoy and ask questions!

If you have any comments, questions, or suggestions write away!

Two seasons ago (2013) I got the amazing privilege of taking an Alaska cruise vacation and really enjoyed Alaska and the cruise.

Since then I (mostly me) and a close family member have spent time writing Alaska tips and posting them on my blog. I shared this here last year around this time to help those that were indecisive about planning for their Alaska cruise vacation or just wanted something to read about Alaska.

I thought I would share this here again this year instead of the typical blog/website section because the information I share pertains specifically to the people here. I try to give tips that can be applied to any cruise line or itinerary, but I also give some itinerary specific information too!

Hey, found your post and am planning to go to Alaska next Sept and all you info will help. Been up there before, but this time when the Radiance gets into Ketchikan, don't think I'll be taking any tours, but will be wandering around taking in the sights and taking pictures. Any suggestions?

Virginia

Edited by gottagoacruzn

Thanks for sharing this.

Keith

You're Welcome!

Hey, found your post and am planning to go to Alaska next Sept and all you info will help. Been up there before, but this time when the Radiance gets into Ketchikan, don't think I'll be taking any tours, but will be wandering around taking in the sights and taking pictures. Any suggestions?

Virginia

In Ketchikan I primarily walked around. There is a visitor center very close to where the cruise ships dock. The guides were very helpful and gave a bunch of free and cheap attraction ideas. The people in the visitor center told my family that if we wanted to walk around we might enjoy the walk to Creek Street. They had maps and other brochures in the visitor center.

We walked to Creek Street and back and stopped in some shops along the way. Creek Street is nice and depending on the time of year you visit you may get to the some salmon in the water.

You can also check Married Man's Trail and there are a few totem poles around Ketchikan that you can check out. There is a Totem Pole Museum that you can pay to go to. I didn't do this, but it might be fun if you want to check out some totem poles.

Also, there are multiple locations in Ketchikan where you can get cheap Wi-Fi. I spent about 30 minutes at one of these places to check email. I know many people try to disconnect from the internet completely when cruising, but there are places that offer Wi-Fi if you need internet.

I hope this helps and have a great cruise!!!

Thanks for the great info. Just wanted to let you know that your link to the Mt. Roberts Tramway is broken.

Thank you for letting me know!! I have it fixed now and here is the corrected link:

http://mountrobertstramway.com/

Thanks for sharing your great website! I have forwarded you website to all of the people that are traveling in our group next summer on a cruise tour on Holland. Your information is very helpful!

Thank you so much!!! I'm glad you found my blog useful!

Any Tracy Arm Fjord photos?

Yes, I have some, but I need a little bit of time to get them online. Thank you!

For Everyone Else:

Spotting Alaska Wildlife

http://www.embarkandaway.com/general-cruise-blog/alaska-cruises-spotting-wildlife-from-the-ship

Edited by thecruiserofships

As someone who cruises to Alaska every year - your site is fabulous and thank you for sharing it. :)

Edited by Lizzie68

While you are waiting for thecruiserofships Tracy Arm Photos, here are some to get you in the mood:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/?page_id=452

Great photos! They look way better than mine!

@ funcruiser1234: I have not forgotten about you. Just give me a little more time to get something together!

As someone who cruises to Alaska every year - your site is fabulous and thank you for sharing it. :)

Thank you so much!

Thanks for sharing that! I am daydreaming of another trip to Alaska. Everything that helps me with that is appreciated. :D

You're Very Welcome!! I would love to go back to Alaska too!

Oh I am definitely going :D Am booked for next year. May change the booking though. Am hoping prices drop a bit, as I'm traveling solo. That's expensive :D I want to do 14 days. Only have 7 days booked at this moment.

I hope you get back to Alaska. It is addictive; it somehow touches the soul, doesn't it?

Great photos! They look way better than mine!

Thanks for the compliment. Photographs are a digital moment in time. Sometimes all of the elements (weather, light, perspective, and opportunity) come together. Most times they do not so capturing what you can is all that matters.

Just keep shooting.

Edited by Crew News

Thank you for sharing the photographs. They look great and really make me want to be in Alaska right now!

Are you a professional?

Thanks for the compliment. Alaska is indeed a photographer's dream.

Photography is not my profession but I have sold some photographs over my 45+ years of capturing images.

I take thousands of images on each cruise. The better images go to my website http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/ while the best are used for large calendars given to both my fellow cruise passengers and ship's crew.

My website: http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/ only displays those images taken while on HAL cruises.