Bus or Ship Tour to Mendenhall Glacier

floss

we are on NCL Sun arriving at 2.00 pm. in mid september, I've been reading all the tips but still sure what is best in view of our arrival time and the shorter daylight in this month. We are looking at Glacier explorer tour of 3 hours . there are 2 other ships in port on that day. Which is the best option the ship our the bus

Help

Even in mid Sept it will be light until 7:30pm.

http://www.sunrisesunset.com/calendar.asp

You'll have 5+ hours of daylight. What else do you plan to do in Juneau?

If Mendenhall is your only activity, I'd choose the independent bus just for the flexibility .... if I want to stay longer I can, or when I'm ready to leave, I can hop on the next bus.

we are on NCL Sun arriving at 2.00 pm. in mid september, I've been reading all the tips but still sure what is best in view of our arrival time and the shorter daylight in this month. We are looking at Glacier explorer tour of 3 hours . there are 2 other ships in port on that day. Which is the best option the ship our the bus

Help

Keep in mind that the park is closed by about 5PM. This can vary but the last time we stop they where closing the park at 5PM with the last park shuttle leaving at 5:30pm. The transit bus is a good 30 minute walk away.

Keep in mind that the park is closed by about 5PM. This can vary but the last time we stop they where closing the park at 5PM with the last park shuttle leaving at 5:30pm. The transit bus is a good 30 minute walk away.

the Visitor Center closes but you can still access the trails.

Since the OP is travelling during the shoulder season, it would be wise to verify the hours of any tour, activity, etc. After Labor Day hours can be reduced. OTOH, hours may be increased when there are several ships in town. Bottom line ... always verify the hours.

Even the web site for the blue bus says "till 6:00pm on most days".

http://mightygreattrips.com/tours/#juneau

the Visitor Center closes but you can still access the trails.

Since the OP is travelling during the shoulder season, it would be wise to verify the hours of any tour, activity, etc. After Labor Day hours can be reduced. OTOH, hours may be increased when there are several ships in town. Bottom line ... always verify the hours.

Even the web site for the blue bus says "till 6:00pm on most days".

http://mightygreattrips.com/tours/#juneau

On a May cruise we where warned that the last bus was at 5PM.

We took the ship (The Jewel) excursion when we were in Juneau in September. I do not recommend it mainly because you are too rushed. By the time we got to the glacier, unloaded the bus, walked to Nugget Falls and back we did not have enough time to visit the visitor center which the price of was included in the cost of the tour along with the Mt. Roberts Tram. The visitor center has lots of information and trails that can be walked. We didn't get to do any of that because there just wasn't enough time on this excursion. If we ever go back we will just take a glacier bus there and spend more time. We actually only had about an hour and a half at the glacier. We needed at least another 2 hours to do everything we would have liked to do. The tram was the last thing on the tour and we could have done that in far less time than they scheduled for us.

Help

Another option, that would give you the most time at Mendenhall, is to rent a car. With no mobility limitations, it's easy to rent from Avis at the Goldbelt.

I recommended my sister do this this year, when she was on the Pearl with the same port time. They also had time for a few other stops of interest. They had no problem with walking to Nugget Falls, and enjoying the exhibits and movie at the Visitor Center.

Hello my Info friend...

We have an excurison thru our cruise ship to the Sawyer Glacier by catarmaran...could we still have time to take a bus/taxi to Mendenhall Glacier and a walk to Nugget Falls? Thanks

Another option, that would give you the most time at Mendenhall, is to rent a car. With no mobility limitations, it's easy to rent from Avis at the Goldbelt.

I recommended my sister do this this year, when she was on the Pearl with the same port time. They also had time for a few other stops of interest. They had no problem with walking to Nugget Falls, and enjoying the exhibits and movie at the Visitor Center.

Hello my Info friend...

We have an excurison thru our cruise ship to the Sawyer Glacier by catarmaran...could we still have time to take a bus/taxi to Mendenhall Glacier and a walk to Nugget Falls? Thanks

Probably, I'm assuming you have a half day port time, and not objecting to using taxi service? Mendenhall does not "close", but as mentioned, the shuttle buses are on a limited schedule. So you can take a shuttle to the glacier, stay as long as you want, then call a cab to pick you up. You will have to call the cab, which should be done about a half hour before you want it.

Thanks for the info...we are in Tracy Arm cruising

6:00am-10:00am and then Juneau 1:30pm to 10:00pm.Hope it gives us enough time as we would like to walk to Nugget Falls.:)

Probably, I'm assuming you have a half day port time, and not objecting to using taxi service? Mendenhall does not "close", but as mentioned, the shuttle buses are on a limited schedule. So you can take a shuttle to the glacier, stay as long as you want, then call a cab to pick you up. You will have to call the cab, which should be done about a half hour before you want it.

• 2 months later...
is the trail paved the entire way?

the video posted above shows it to be paved..

i'm wondering if i can take my mom in a wheelchair...

No Nugget Falls trail is not paved. It is packed down "stuff". Photo Point trail is paved, but some up hill at the point. The Nugget Falls trail with a wheelchair is going to be difficult, add to the problem, if the wheelchair user has some weight to them. I didn't even take a 145 lb person on this trail last year due to it tough pushing. I wouldn't even suggest it, if it has been wet. We had taken it several times in the past so not a priority in my case. (when ambulatory)

No Nugget Falls trail is not paved. It is packed down "stuff". Photo Point trail is paved, but some up hill at the point. The Nugget Falls trail with a wheelchair is going to be difficult, add to the problem, if the wheelchair user has some weight to them. I didn't even take a 145 lb person on this trail last year due to it tough pushing. I wouldn't even suggest it, if it has been wet. We had taken it several times in the past so not a priority in my case. (when ambulatory)

thanks - so i'll stick to photo point trail.

too bad, as nugget falls looks lovely!!

she can walk, but not that far a distance..

we walk about a quarter of a mile (sometimes more) every day at home, but very very very slowly....

i'll have the chair with us 'just in case'..