Wine lovers beware!

SALAD MUNCHER

I am really frustrated with Cunard. This afternoon I rang them to order a wine package (Captains Collection 12 bottles) for our QM2 cruise next week-end. All went well and they charged me in pounds sterling at £283.13. As I am also cruising with Cunard a couple of weeks later, I decided to purchase another of the same package for my second trip so called Cunard again about 2 hours later. I was astounded to be told when I asked to purchase the package that the price would be £295.54 i.e. £12.41 more expensive! When I queried this I was told that a new brochure was coming out soon and as my cruise was in June I would have to pay the new charge. When I told the Cunard operative that I had got the price of the package from my June cruise VP and as I had only just paid for one at a cheaper price it seemed absurd that two hours later they wanted to charge a different price as I was buying it today, not in a few weeks time when the new brochure comes out. I also said what if I had ordered this when I booked the trip a few months ago, would I still be charged the higher price - I was told yes, even though they couldn't even tell me if the wines included would be the same or when the new prices would be announced on Cunard's web site! After some more discussion I was transferred to a Customer Service Agent who simply repeated the same mantra. When I insisted it was ridiculous to change the price without any notice on the web site and that I had rung to purchase in good faith expecting them to honour their price he decided he would give me £10 OBC as a 'gesture of goodwill'! I realised that I was getting nowhere so I said OK, lets go with that, whereupon he hung up on me! I had been on the phone for 29 minutes by this time! So...no wine package booked and one hugely disgruntled passenger. :mad:

Hi

Well I'm afraid that attitude is rife on Cunard ships ... you can always bring on board your own wine, I know its a bit of a bother but at least you can pick what you want and have the satisfaction of not lining Cunard's pockets.

They don't seem to have any idea of Customer relationship.

Hi

Well I'm afraid that attitude is rife on Cunard ships ... you can always bring on board your own wine, I know its a bit of a bother but at least you can pick what you want and have the satisfaction of not lining Cunard's pockets.

They don't seem to have any idea of Customer relationship.

I am afraid I was so annoyed when I wrote that post that I may have sounded petty, but the second package I was trying to purchase was for our trip Venice to Athens, where due to airline luggage restrictions it is not really possible to bring your own. It was not the money that annoyed me but as you say the customer service which I believe was disgraceful. I don't mind paying the high Cunard prices For Wine If Needs Be, BUT considering I had only 2 hours before paid 285 pounds (in advance) for wine and then to be asked for a further 12 pounds for the SAME wine package for a trip 2 weeks after, was in my opinion ridiculous. Considering that Cunard in desperation for more bookings were giving free beverage packages willy nilly to people booking this same trip after I had booked it made me more aggrieved. As they say, you live and learn.......

Hello Salad Muncher, please don't take this the wrong way, but why bother ordering a wine package well in advance over the phone ?

Arranging a wine package on the day of departure only takes a few minutes, either in the holding lounge after check-in ( I managed to do this only last week on my Q.Vic trip where they had a table set up and taking orders) or at lunch time in the lido where knowledgeable sommeliers are at your disposal . :)

Hello Salad Muncher, please don't take this the wrong way, but why bother ordering a wine package well in advance over the phone ?

Arranging a wine package on the day of departure only takes a few minutes, either in the holding lounge after check-in ( I managed to do this only last week on my Q.Vic trip where they had a table set up and taking orders) or at lunch time in the lido where knowledgeable sommeliers are at your disposal . :)

Yes, I get your point and in the past when travelling on Cunard we have booked (or paid for excursions) and wine whilst on board. However, these days when it is compulsory to book and pay for trips, 'little luxuries', dining in Todd English etc. as you book them prior to (sometimes months before) embarkation I just thought I might as well do the same for my wine packages. I guess I was trying to be 'organised' up front.

Did they charge you in £ or did you do the conversions yourself afterwards ?

The current brochure is showing $470 so either of those prices seem to be at a good rate.

Hi Hattie

They charged me in pounds sterling. I telephoned Cunard UK as per my VP instructions. Yes thy did offer a good rate but it was after the election when both he FT and the pound soared. As I said in my earlier post, it wasn't the money that irked me, it was the fact this situation took place on the same day within two hours of each other, and not one of the operatives at Cunard could give me a reasonable answer to why prices should go up almost 5% (yes..5%) in the middle of the day! They just kept repeating there was a new catalogue coming out so 'we have to charge the new price'. When I asked when the catalogue would be 'out' and showing on Cunard's website at the new price I was met with bewilderment from them - not one of them knew!

I am really frustrated with Cunard. This afternoon I rang them to order a wine package (Captains Collection 12 bottles) for our QM2 cruise next week-end. All went well and they charged me in pounds sterling at £283.13. As I am also cruising with Cunard a couple of weeks later, I decided to purchase another of the same package for my second trip so called Cunard again about 2 hours later. I was astounded to be told when I asked to purchase the package that the price would be £295.54 i.e. £12.41 more expensive! When I queried this I was told that a new brochure was coming out soon and as my cruise was in June I would have to pay the new charge. When I told the Cunard operative that I had got the price of the package from my June cruise VP and as I had only just paid for one at a cheaper price it seemed absurd that two hours later they wanted to charge a different price as I was buying it today, not in a few weeks time when the new brochure comes out. I also said what if I had ordered this when I booked the trip a few months ago, would I still be charged the higher price - I was told yes, even though they couldn't even tell me if the wines included would be the same or when the new prices would be announced on Cunard's web site! After some more discussion I was transferred to a Customer Service Agent who simply repeated the same mantra. When I insisted it was ridiculous to change the price without any notice on the web site and that I had rung to purchase in good faith expecting them to honour their price he decided he would give me £10 OBC as a 'gesture of goodwill'! I realised that I was getting nowhere so I said OK, lets go with that, whereupon he hung up on me! I had been on the phone for 29 minutes by this time! So...no wine package booked and one hugely disgruntled passenger. :mad:

People should never be surprised what Carnival are capable of when it comes to cut backs and increase of any thing they sell on ship mainly Wine, Drink, Photos and Trips, sure they have to make a profit but cruise fare are a lot cheaper on other cruise lines to the same ports of call. Any one who cruised with Cunard pre Carnival can only say how the standards have fallen, maybe the new passengers think it is great, just a pity they missed how Cunard use to be.

Any one who cruised with Cunard pre Carnival can only say how the standards have fallen, maybe the new passengers think it is great, just a pity they missed how Cunard use to be.
But where would Cunard be today if not for Carnival?

But where would Cunard be today if not for Carnival?

Very true what you say, but why did Carnival buy Cunard? one reason and one reason only the name of 'CUNARD' If you have been a regular cruiser with Cunard, you must admit standards have fallen.:rolleyes: