Ok help decide what is best to do on each island.

luv2gonow

Hi,

Which island on POA is best for snorkeling. Was looking at Lanai Snorkel and Sail in Maui and Big Island Snorkel in Kona.

Which island best to just go to a beach nearish port.

Do any of these islands have a town right at port?

Also If I do a helicopter which island.

Was also thinking of doing the sunset crater tour.

Thanks

Kerri

All of these questions are discussed here frequently.

The Lanai Snorkel would be out of Lahaina, correct? That is a 45 minute, minimum, drive from your ship. You could do a Turtle City snorkel on Maui which is much closer.

When you tender into Kona, you will be right in town.

The pretty obvious first choice for helicopter would be either of your Big Island stops, for the chance to see lava flowing. Both Kauai and Maui have good copter rides, but lava always seems to take priority for some unknown reason.

All of these questions are discussed here frequently.

The Lanai Snorkel would be out of Lahaina, correct? That is a 45 minute, minimum, drive from your ship. You could do a Turtle City snorkel on Maui which is much closer.

When you tender into Kona, you will be right in town.

The pretty obvious first choice for helicopter would be either of your Big Island stops, for the chance to see lava flowing. Both Kauai and Maui have good copter rides, but lava always seems to take priority for some unknown reason.

Thanks. I don't think it is Lahaina. It is a boat ride and snorkel. Seems to be a nice double decker boat.

Good to know Kona is a port with town right there. Would like maybe an easy day.

I probably only have 1 helicopter ride in my life, I might have to wait for Alaska. I see you do a lot of travel. Have you done a helicopter tour in Alaska if so would you say it is more of a must do than Hawaii?

thanks

Kerri

Hi,

Which island on POA is best for snorkeling. Was looking at Lanai Snorkel and Sail in Maui and Big Island Snorkel in Kona.

Which island best to just go to a beach nearish port.

Do any of these islands have a town right at port?

Also If I do a helicopter which island.

Was also thinking of doing the sunset crater tour.

Thanks

Kerri

In Kona & Hilo there is a Hop on hop off bus, it goes to a few places and beach that might be nice and is really cheap.

I would love to do a helicopter ride in Hawaii, If you want to see lava and waterfalls, do the big island. I believe waterfalls on the other island.. but haven't done one.

Thanks. I don't think it is Lahaina. It is a boat ride and snorkel. Seems to be a nice double decker boat.

Good to know Kona is a port with town right there. Would like maybe an easy day.

I probably only have 1 helicopter ride in my life, I might have to wait for Alaska. I see you do a lot of travel. Have you done a helicopter tour in Alaska if so would you say it is more of a must do than Hawaii?

thanks

Kerri

OK, if you are leaving from Kahului on the boat to Lanai, juts makes for a longer boat ride. But still doable.

We have done helicopter rides in Hawaii and Alaska. Expensive but worth it. Of course Hawaii is different from Alaska, but the point of the ride is the same, to see fantastic sights from the air. Hawaii doesn't let you down. And lava? Take that in a heartbeat.

Edited by CruiserBruce

thanks

Kerri

Look at the tour info for this Lanai Tour. I'm not aware of any which do not leave from Lahaina or that vicinity. Generally speaking, The big island of Hawaii is touted to have the best water for snorkeling. Most go from Kona area. Fair Winds is a good company.

As far as a helicopter tour, I have done one from Kauai and highly recommend doing one there. Book direct to save some money. Kauai has very extreme topography. There are no roads that take you through most of these areas. The heli views you get into the Canyon, into the Na Pali cliffs and valleys and down inside a dormant crater are jaw dropping, literally. As far as a heli on Hawaii, there are other ways to see VNP, the crater, and a lava flow if any, so I'd go for Kauai.

In Alaska, we did not do a heli, but we did do a float plane from Juneau which took us out over the Juneau Ice Fields over 5 glaciers and then a river landing at a remote lodge, no roads into there, where a grilled salmon dinner was prepared. Now that was spectacular as well, but I think Kauai had the edge.

If you look at Alaska vs Hawaii from a strictly budget point of view, I think you'll find that you spend quite a bit less in Hawaii for touring. Most things you can do from your own rental car, so that makes a heli tour not quite so painful. But, not so in Alaska where it seemed that every port required a very expensive tour. A heli here could really bust the budget.

We did a helicopter in Maui....gorgeous views...flew all over the entire island. It was pricey...and that was 25 years ago...can't imagine what they are charging now!

I would recommend a guidebook on Hawaii before you start booking things. The book will tell you everything about each island...and you can plan that way. Yes...a rental car is super easy, affordable and lets you do what YOU want! Driving is pretty easy...well marked roads!

We did two helicopter flights in Hawaii on our trip last May. My favourite was from Hilo over the lava fields and the PuuOO steam vents. This was before the lava started flowing into the ocean again but it was the most amazing flight. We had the doors off and could feel the heat of the lava. We also did a flight on Kauai which also spectacular and my husband's favourite flight, also with the doors off. When we get the chance to do Alaska I expect we will do another helicopter flight there too.

When we were on Maui post cruise we did a snorkel tour to Molokini Crater and Turtle Town though this can also be done while on the cruise.

I have done this cruise in past and spent this summer in Oahu and Maui. I can tell you the snorkel tour to Cook Monument from Kona is the best. Also on Kawai was excellent. Can not beat the Cook snorkel and we have snorkeler all over the wold ( not for coral but fish and dolphins)

I have done this cruise in past and spent this summer in Oahu and Maui. I can tell you the snorkel tour to Cook Monument from Kona is the best. Also on Kawai was excellent. Can not beat the Cook snorkel and we have snorkeler all over the wold ( not for coral but fish and dolphins)

Yes, I agree. Look for snorkel trips which go to Kealakekua Bay which is where the captain Cook Monument is located. Fair Winds is who we went with. You need to taxi from the pier for 20 min or so, but if you make sure you get early tender tickets ( be among the first in line when they start the hand outs ), you arrive with plenty of time to spare. Shallow, calm, crystal clear, and you often spot the Spinner dolphins which sleep in a secluded part of the bay during the day. "Two Step" is another place near Kona, right off the rocks into the water. Most drive there. It's near the National Park. I do know of one small guided tour company which will take you to Two Step. If anyone wants the info, let me know.