Ship Tour vs. Private tour to Pompeii

JPMiami5

We will be visiting Naples this April with Holland America and want to go to Pompeii. What is the best way to do it, buy the shorex from the ship or go with a private operator? Who do you recommend?

Edited by JPMiami5

What you're buying is transportation and organization, either works fine. Many cruisers do it on their own using public transit, which is quite easy but not for everyone.

With a ship's tour they'll arrange everything and you'll have no say in anything. At least with a private tour you can set the boundaries, decide exactly where you are going (and, just as important, where you will not go, like a cameo "factory") and how long you'll stay.

Guides at Pompei are easy to find and set up at the entrance to the ruins.

I would prefer some other method to the ship tour, particularly if the ship tour includes a stop at one of the mandatory shopping places like the cameo factory (the worst!) or the wooden box store in Sorrento....

The other reason I'd prefer another method is because the ship tours rarely scratch the surface of Pompeii, and I'd want to spend more time there.

Either way works depending on your preference. We did a ship's tour that combined a half day in Amalfi with Pompeii. I thought that the tour did more than scratch the surface. The guide was knowledgeable and worked her way to minimize the time we spent in the heat.

Either way works depending on your preference. We did a ship's tour that combined a half day in Amalfi with Pompeii. I thought that the tour did more than scratch the surface. The guide was knowledgeable and worked her way to minimize the time we spent in the heat.

Guess it depends on your perspective, but with a site the size of Pompeii, spending only a couple of hours there necessarily limits how much you can see.

I've spent a total of about 3 days there and look forward to spending another two full days later this year.... Maybe then I will feel I've seen a good part of the site. :D

Guess it depends on your perspective, but with a site the size of Pompeii, spending only a couple of hours there necessarily limits how much you can see.

I've spent a total of about 3 days there and look forward to spending another two full days later this year.... Maybe then I will feel I've seen a good part of the site. :D

Agree that it is up to your perspective. Clearly in the 3 - 4 hours we had there we did not see the entire site or even most of it. All we got was a feel for the place. Here is a link to some pictures to show the OP what we did see and maybe help them make up their mind.

https://markandkareneurope2012.shutterfly.com/pictures/1076

I recommend Rome-in-limo. We used them and they were great. I am sure they would be able to accommodate your request. We did Mt. Vesuvius, Sorrento and Pompeii. If I had it to do over again, I would spend most of my time in Pompeii. It is amazing.