Gratuities - Do the Captain , Gen. Mgr. and senior staff get it too? Is that fair?

Cahpek

Gratuities is practically everyone here know, is added automatically to your bill.

But I just wondered which staff benefits from gratuities -is it everyone from the Captain and the General Manager down?

For me, for what's it's worth, while I feel junior staff who serves passengers should receive gratuities because they deserve them, I would question whether senior staff like the Captain and the Gen. Manager should receive gratuities too. This is especially when Oceania Captains , Managers and senior staff are usually not as ready to "mingle" with passengers as in other cruise companies - Azamara comes to mind.

Also, these senior staff are quite unsuprisingly being paid a great deal more than those more junior staff down the line -eg stateroom/cabin stewards or stewardesses, waiters, etc, etc. Besides, usually it is the cabin steward/ess , waiters and other front line staff who show their friendliness and support to passengers that makes the cruise enjoyable. Not forgetting those chefs and sous chefs who creates such lovely meals, a big thank you to them too!

There, I have said it, my ten cents' worth. I do not know if anyone would agree with my opinion, but then, so be it.

Edited by Cahpek

Next time you see the captain or the hotel manager, try to slip him or her a $2 bill and see if they take it.

Seriously and this is a bit of an over simplification, there are 3 classes of workers on the ship - senior staff, staff and workers. Only the workers share in the tip pool and within that group not all of them get tips. The senior staff and staff group is equivalent to management in a land resort. Management does not get tipped.

Hope this helps.

DON

Next time you see the captain or the hotel manager, try to slip him or her a $2 bill and see if they take it.

Seriously and this is a bit of an over simplification, there are 3 classes of workers on the ship - senior staff, staff and workers. Only the workers share in the tip pool and within that group not all of them get tips. The senior staff and staff group is equivalent to management in a land resort. Management does not get tipped.

Hope this helps.

DON

Thanks for the information. It does help.

Gratuities is practically everyone here know, is added automatically to your bill.

But I just wondered which staff benefits from gratuities -is it everyone from the Captain and the General Manager down?

For me, for what's it's worth, while I feel junior staff who serves passengers should receive gratuities because they deserve them, I would question whether senior staff like the Captain and the Gen. Manager should receive gratuities too. This is especially when Oceania Captains , Managers and senior staff are usually not as ready to "mingle" with passengers as in other cruise companies - Azamara comes to mind.

Also, these senior staff are quite unsuprisingly being paid a great deal more than those more junior staff down the line -eg stateroom/cabin stewards or stewardesses, waiters, etc, etc. Besides, usually it is the cabin steward/ess , waiters and other front line staff who show their friendliness and support to passengers that makes the cruise enjoyable. Not forgetting those chefs and sous chefs who creates such lovely meals, a big thank you to them too!

There, I have said it, my ten cents' worth. I do not know if anyone would agree with my opinion, but then, so be it.

They probably should since they seem to work very hard also. I see them all over the ship and they too help make the cruise enjoyable for us. :):):)

I'm a health care professional and I've never been tipped, nor would I accept one.

Professionals are salaried at levels commensurate with their responsibilities. Ship officers and cruise staff would be salaried.

I have no desire whatsoever to socialize with cruise ship officers and their visibility score means nothing to me.

Heck, when a package is misaddressed to my building and I make sure that the intended recipient receives it, they often try to pay me (tip me?) or give me some benefit. No, I don't accept them!

On a slightly different tangent, we have had several meals with officers ... a few captain's dinners (when we were in a high suite, which isn't that often), on our fifth cruise with a mid-level officer and another couple, once with the General Manager ... not often, but several times.

These were delightful evenings because they were very interesting people. Do I expect it?

Nope.

Mura

Heck, when a package is misaddressed to my building and I make sure that the intended recipient receives it, they often try to pay me (tip me?) or give me some benefit. No, I don't accept them!

On a slightly different tangent, we have had several meals with officers ... a few captain's dinners (when we were in a high suite, which isn't that often), on our fifth cruise with a mid-level officer and another couple, once with the General Manager ... not often, but several times.

These were delightful evenings because they were very interesting people. Do I expect it?

Nope.

Mura

Question is do you live there or work in the building? If you were the super and went out of your way then I would think a tip would be in order. We have been to dinner quite a few times with the GM and some other officers and as was said it was a lovely evening. They work very hard in the back of the house to make our cruise as best as it can be and on occasion we would get them a little something to express our thanks. Makes us feel good.

Question is do you live there or work in the building? If you were the super and went out of your way then I would think a tip would be in order. We have been to dinner quite a few times with the GM and some other officers and as was said it was a lovely evening. They work very hard in the back of the house to make our cruise as best as it can be and on occasion we would get them a little something to express our thanks. Makes us feel good.

To answer your question, no, I don't work here. This is a residential Coop in NYC. I was on the Board and served as Secretary for 25 years, although I am no longer on the Board. But I'm still the only person who maintains addresses and does my best to see that misaddressed mail gets to the recipient. The mail carriers don't seem to care if they get the letter or package to the right address as long as they deliver it somewhere.

If I were a true employee, yes, a tip could be in order.

Mura

To answer your question, no, I don't work here. This is a residential Coop in NYC. I was on the Board and served as Secretary for 25 years, although I am no longer on the Board. But I'm still the only person who maintains addresses and does my best to see that misaddressed mail gets to the recipient. The mail carriers don't seem to care if they get the letter or package to the right address as long as they deliver it somewhere.

If I were a true employee, yes, a tip could be in order.

Mura

Sounds like you are a very good neighbor to go out of your way. And you are right that a true employee should get a tip.