Is it worth cruising alone?

Well, I was considering either an Alaskan cruise or Mexican Riviera. Oddly enough, they were both on the same ship (Crown Princess). The Alaskan one sold out though, so that solves one dilemma. I'm considering going solo, since I've never had much luck meeting women. I'm 33. I've been on a couple of cruises before (NCL, Carnival), but this would be my first solo. I'm curious if there's much chance of meeting anyone on board, or if I should expect to be bored and stuffing myself with pizza the whole time. I wonder what the chances of meeting a nice lady in Mexico are and how difficult it would be to bring one home. lol

Edited by NoLifeDGenerate

Are you serious?

For the sake of discussion, I will assume that you are...

Here's the deal: If you are a 33 year old single guy looking to meet women, then Princess--either itinerary--is likely not the right choice for you...A lot of older folks, very few singles--unless you count 65+ year widows...

Young, single women don't cruise much on longer cruises--even to Mexico...

I don't often recommend Carnival to anyone--I am not a fan of their product...but, it would probably be your best shot at finding what you are looking for--younger demographic, party crowd, etc. Especially, for example, the short three-night cruises. They don't go anywhere exciting--just Ensenada and back...

But, the cruises are cheap and fit more into the budget and time constraints of younger people...My 31 year old nephew and his buddies go on these all the time...They drink, hang out until late at night, etc.

I'd try one of those first--you won't be that invested in it and you can see how you like it...

That said, most cruises will have "Singles Get-togethers", especially on the first night--so you can meet others in your situation...Make it a point to attend...

ADD: I see you edited after I started writing. Again, a 10 night cruise on Princess will likely have an older demographic than you are looking for. If you wanted to just cruise and to hang out with a bunch of older married couples, fine...but...

Young, single women aren't getting away for 10 nights and cruising on Princess...Save this for when you've found yourself a woman to go with you...In the meanwhile, stick to 7 nights or less, warm weather destinations, and, probably, Carnival --who targets their marketing to a younger demographic with more singles...

Good luck...

Edited by Bruin Steve

If it were me, without question it would be Alaska.

I'm not big on hanging out at the beach and not looking to meet women. We only cruise the Mexican Riviera when it's cheap & sailing from LA where we can drive to the port. We're considering cruises in the fall that have great prices & received an email offer with inside cabins beginning at $449 for a week to Mexico in December. It's a good price but we'd prefer to pay more to take a CA Coastal than to go to Mexico again.

We could repeatedly go to Alaska because there are always great things to experience there. There's a good reason why there are fewer cabins available in Alaska because to many of us it's a great experience.

Hipefully you'll find your best option & welcome to Cruise Critic.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Yeah, that's pretty much what I figured. There is a Princess one in October that's advertised as a singles cruise (Ruby Princess on 10/25). I'm tempted to go that route just for the hell of it. I kind of want to try Princess after hearing the pizza is good and seeing pictures. The pizza on NCL earlier this year was pretty bad. Carnival's was decent 10 years ago. I just wish I knew who serves Grouper. I had that on the Carnival Miracle in 2005. My favorite meal the whole trip. :)

Edited by NoLifeDGenerate

Is that a singles cruise as in a singles group has booked space on a cruise? I would doubt if the whole ship will have only singles on board. It might be a group (which means you'll have to book through its travel agency) with scheduled activities like parties in which you'll meet other singles. Two of the October sailings for the Ruby are the 7-day MR itinerary (the third is the two week Hawaiian).

Is that a singles cruise as in a singles group has booked space on a cruise? I would doubt if the whole ship will have only singles on board. It might be a group (which means you'll have to book through its travel agency) with scheduled activities like parties in which you'll meet other singles. Two of the October sailings for the Ruby are the 7-day MR itinerary (the third is the two week Hawaiian).

Yeah, it's through Vacations To Go.

Well, I was considering either an Alaskan cruise or Mexican Riviera. Oddly enough, they were both on the same ship (Crown Princess). The Alaskan one sold out though, so that solves one dilemma. I'm considering going solo, since I've never had much luck meeting women. I'm 33. I've been on a couple of cruises before (NCL, Carnival), but this would be my first solo. I'm curious if there's much chance of meeting anyone on board, or if I should expect to be bored and stuffing myself with pizza the whole time. I wonder what the chances of meeting a nice lady in Mexico are and how difficult it would be to bring one home. lol

Of course there's a chance to meet women on board. I would think the best places would be the singles meet, fitness room, poolside, bars, clubs, or at a large table at dinner. Get involved in any activity that has a lot of people. It also helps if you have some game. If you look like the comic book store guy from the Simpsons, you probably will have some difficulty.

Of course there's a chance to meet women on board. I would think the best places would be the singles meet, fitness room, poolside, bars, clubs, or at a large table at dinner. Get involved in any activity that has a lot of people. It also helps if you have some game. If you look like the comic book store guy from the Simpsons, you probably will have some difficulty.

My main problem has always been that I'm not very outgoing. I'm tall, dark, and handsome, but I'm quiet.

It's pissing me off that these hosted singles cruises are few and far between. My options for flights to catch this one in October are rather lacking. I'm considering one from Houston in December instead, but I'm bored and lonely. I didn't want to wait that long to go somewhere.

My main problem has always been that I'm not very outgoing. I'm tall, dark, and handsome, but I'm quiet

It's pissing me off that these hosted singles cruises are few and far between. My options for flights to catch this one in October are rather lacking. I'm considering one from Houston in December instead, but I'm bored and lonely. I didn't want to wait that long to go somewhere.

Not very outgoing, quiet, bored, and lonely. Enjoy your pizza.

If you want to meet people, once you have chosen and booked your cruise, you might enjoy chatting with others on the same sailing in the "Roll Call" section of this forum. And before doing so, you might consider changing your screen name to something less off-putting than your current one. Good luck!

• 1 month later...

So impressed on how nice the responses are.

Not very outgoing, quiet, bored, and lonely. Enjoy your pizza.

This is what I was thinking since you seem to put a lot of thought in the pizza.

I don't know what your chances would be to find a nice lady in Mexico, but it will be very difficult to bring her home with you!