excursions in PV, Cabo, and Mazatalan from outside companies

Samm116

Has anyone recently went on any excursions in these ports while on a carnival cruise. I dont want to book with carnival, and I tried the 3rd party people that advertise on CC, and was told that the cruise ship buys up all the spots for the days we are in port so we HAVE to book with the ship.

Has anyone been lucky enough to get around this. This will be my 7th cruise and I've never had this happen. I have always booked with the different tour operators directly.

Do you think the excursions would still be available if we just walked off the ship and booked that day with whomever is standing there. I have a hard time paying 50% more for the same thing off ship.

All comments are welcome..... thanks

There seems to be a big following of Mazatlan Frank's tours on this board so we booked a private excursion for our upcoming February cruise on the NCL Star. We also heard good think about Randi's Happy Horses.

In PV, my Mom is doing a private advanced ride with Rancho El Charro horseback riding.

If you read through this forum, there are more ideas as well :)

Has anyone recently went on any excursions in these ports while on a carnival cruise. I dont want to book with carnival, and I tried the 3rd party people that advertise on CC, and was told that the cruise ship buys up all the spots for the days we are in port so we HAVE to book with the ship.

Has anyone been lucky enough to get around this. This will be my 7th cruise and I've never had this happen. I have always booked with the different tour operators directly.

Do you think the excursions would still be available if we just walked off the ship and booked that day with whomever is standing there. I have a hard time paying 50% more for the same thing off ship.

All comments are welcome..... thanks

Thank you for your reply, I appreciate any and all info. I have been all over these boards looking for information about this and haven't been able to get a clear answer. I know what tours I like and the tour organizers I called said that carnival has purchased all of their available spots for the day we are in port so we have to book with the ship directly. Is this even possible? Is it a contract thing, should I tell them I'm at a resort when I try booking in advance or walking off and trying my luck that way. I have found the most trouble with PV and both sites I went to and called would not let me book from them.

Thanks again for your input, I have heard nothing but good things about mazatlan frank and plan in using him for that port.

Edited by Samm116

If you are up for some Zip-Lining, try Los Veranos in PV. Great time! The ship does have a zip-line excursion, but it's with a different company. Los Veranos gets all positive reviews here.

You really should contact Mazatlan Frank. The ship's do not buy up his tours. He does several tours in Mazatlan but also has people he works with in Puerto Vallarta and I think Cabo but not sure. You can google him. If he is booked he will gladly recommend others. There is no way that Carnival has booked everything that independent tours have. The only exception I can think of is Las Caletas in Puerto Vallarta that is run by Vallarta Adventures. If you are on a cruise they will not book you independently. Otherwise, I think there are other options. Again, I can't recommend Mazatlan Frank enough. Great guy - great tours.

We did Mazatlan Frank's Hotel Playa Resort tour--it was great! I've also rode horses with Randi's Happy Horses. I would highly recommend both of them for your time in Mazatlan. :)

Edited by dobiemom

Okay I agree about Mazatlan Frank- good tour, In Puerta Vallarta you can use www.cozumelcruiseexcursion.com--- on the right side click on Puerta Vallarta--- they have several excursions to choose from- I have used them in a couple of different ports- Cozumel and Nassau- Their tour guides are always professional. Cabo---- has several to offer---- just check the cabo threads. Good Luck, Julie G.

Thank you for your reply, I appreciate any and all info. I have been all over these boards looking for information about this and haven't been able to get a clear answer. I know what tours I like and the tour organizers I called said that carnival has purchased all of their available spots for the day we are in port so we have to book with the ship directly. Is this even possible? Is it a contract thing, should I tell them I'm at a resort when I try booking in advance or walking off and trying my luck that way. I have found the most trouble with PV and both sites I went to and called would not let me book from them.

Thanks again for your input, I have heard nothing but good things about mazatlan frank and plan in using him for that port.

We might be able to help you more if you let us know which tours you're interested in... :)

I was trying to be vague about the tours I was looking at due to the fact that I'm sure the cruise ships look at them. But in any case I'm looking at the Outdoor adventure in PV, I'm wanting to know if anyone has done this recently (last 2 months maybe) and if they got it from a private tour company (3rd party even) and not paid the $140 the ship offers it. I'm all for the ships tours and the safety, ship waiting for your and all, but I also like to save a bit of money along the way too. My bar bill gives them plenty of extra!

I tried your cozumel link and I never found a PV link on the right side
Sorry try typing cozumel cruise excursions----- in task bar---- One of the first ones will be their website cozumelcruiseexcursions----- Once you click on it at the top it will show Island marketing--- with a blue tropical theme and flashing stars---- scroll down on right side you will see yellow box with all the locations they offer- Mexican Rivera is one---- with - Mazatlan, Puerta Vallarta and they are working on vendors for Cabo. Hope this helps --- Like I said I have used them several times in other area's and have booked them for Puerta Vallarta this coming January. Julie G.

• 4 years later...
I was trying to be vague about the tours I was looking at due to the fact that I'm sure the cruise ships look at them. But in any case I'm looking at the Outdoor adventure in PV, I'm wanting to know if anyone has done this recently (last 2 months maybe) and if they got it from a private tour company (3rd party even) and not paid the $140 the ship offers it. I'm all for the ships tours and the safety, ship waiting for your and all, but I also like to save a bit of money along the way too. My bar bill gives them plenty of extra!

HEY SAMM!! I know this is an old post but I was wondering if you had any luck with booking the outdoor adventure outside the ship?? Thanks

If you are up for some Zip-Lining, try Los Veranos in PV. Great time! The ship does have a zip-line excursion, but it's with a different company. Los Veranos gets all positive reviews here.

We are going to try the El Eden Tour. It is on a 2X1 right now. They were quick to send my E-Ticket after I had paid. I can't wait! Going on our anniversary! PM me if you need more details on the company or ?

I emailed a company that was offering it for much cheaper that the ship. They said it is a time factor. If you are doing a land vacation, go ahead and book the ~ $60 one till the cows come home. Otherwise, if you really want to do this one, better book with the ship!

• 2 weeks later...

During the last four years, things have gotten tighter. Even third-party tour brokers have been cowed into honoring the contract restrictions that exist between the excursion providers and the cruise industry they contract with.

It has become a near certainty that excursions sold by the ship must be booked through the ship. This is especially true for excursions where the provider is Vallarta Adventures and Cabo Adventures.

Enjoy!

I agree that Carnival has made some serious contracts with tour providers in Mexico. These days you cannot book the same tours you see on the Carnival web site on your own. You can wait until you are in port and bargain with a taxi driver to take you around on your own.

We rarely book ship tours but last year we did one in Puerto Vallarta on our 2nd day and we really enjoyed it(countryside tour+beach) . We had been to PV many times before this.

We also tried to price going to Sayulita( about 1 hr. from PV) by bargaining with a taxi but it ended up being more expensive than the tour that Carnival offers. This year we'll probably book that tour with Carnival.

It really depends on what you want to do and which port since each one is quite different!

I agree that Carnival has made some serious contracts with tour providers in Mexico. These days you cannot book the same tours you see on the Carnival web site on your own. You can wait until you are in port and bargain with a taxi driver to take you around on your own.

We rarely book ship tours but last year we did one in Puerto Vallarta on our 2nd day and we really enjoyed it(countryside tour+beach) . We had been to PV many times before this.

We also tried to price going to Sayulita( about 1 hr. from PV) by bargaining with a taxi but it ended up being more expensive than the tour that Carnival offers. This year we'll probably book that tour with Carnival.

It really depends on what you want to do and which port since each one is quite different!

In case you wanto to go to Sayulita, consider taking a bus. It leaves from the stop in front of Walmart.