Flying with kids

minerva78

I'm looking at several different cruises that leave from Ft. Lauderdale or Miami for our first family cruise with our girls, who are 4 and 6. I figured we'd just drive because it would be cheaper, but I've found several flights that fit into our possible itineraries that would be about $160 - $180 more total for the four of us over renting a car, gas, and parking. And that would be assuming we'd drive straight back after the cruise, 11 1/2 - 12 hours, instead of spending the night in a hotel midway. If we stayed in a hotel on the way back, which I would prefer, the cost of driving vs flying would be about the same. Given this, my husband absolutely thinks we should fly. But I'm nervous about my girls going on their first flight! Silly, I know. It would be a lot of firsts for them - first flight and first cruise - and for some reason that bothers me. But my 6 year old has ADHD and she sometimes gets a bit antsy over a 3 hour drive, my husband thinks to attempt a 12 hour drive would be insane. Yet I would still rather drive!

I know logically for little to no difference in cost, it would make the most sense to fly. For those who have flown with young kids, was it scary for them at all? Or is it just me whose scared? :o. I have flown several times before and it has never bothered me, I don't know why I'm worried about my kids being scared. Any tips for preparing for and getting through a first flight with kids? Am I just overreacting for no reason?

Kids aren't afraid to fly. The whole airport thing is totally exciting to kids. My two sons never batted an eye about flying. They love the whole thing! As a kid I wasn't afraid to fly. It sounds like you have fears about flying and need to stop worrying about it. You are far more likely to get into a car accident than to crash in a plane. So you are taking a bigger risk by driving to the port.

I've never heard of fear being a factor with kids and flying - though they certainly pick up on a parent's anxiety. The issues with kids and flying is more about behavior, but if you bring little amusements and snacks, that plus the thrill of a new adventure makes it all go well. Because that's what it is - a fun adventure, not something to be fearful of. If you treat it like that, they will too. I'd do the flights even if they cost more - must better to end the vacation with a flight than a long drive.

Have fun!

Best,

Mia

Both of my children have been on the airlines since they were age 2 or so. Here is a very good suggestion given to me by our Pediatrician and one that I still use myself.

To avoid the dreaded ear-popping and pain, I would give the kids a non-drowsy dose of cold and sinus medication 30 minutes before take-off. The medication will open-up the ear canal and sinus cavity hence no ear popping. I just made sure to use a brand that was recommended by our doctor, and for mysef I use non-drowsy Tylenol Sinus.

Also, I would make each child a small goody-bag of fun activity items and small snacks to take along. I would not let them open it until we were on the plane and they were settled. It would contain items such as a mini-coloring book, crayons, cookies, etc..... I would just refrain from putting in any items that could possibly fall on the floor such as puzzles and such. They would look forward to that surprise bag and knew that if they did not behave then they would not be receiving it. It worked like a gem.

Have a great time.

Edited by FlaGrl4Evr

My children and now my grand babies have all flown extensivly since they were a year or so old including flights of 8+ hours trans atlantic. Never an issue except calming their excitement. Children are way more resilent than adults. Just make sure you bring something for them to do on the plane and some snacks.

Thanks for the encouragement and tips. :) The more I thought about it, the more I realized they have no reason to be scared, it will just be a fun trip for them. So as long as I make it fun for them, and don't show any of my anxieties, I think they will be fine. Kids fly all of the time and do just fine!

Now my bigger concern is that the great prices for flights I saw yesterday have gone! I guess I need to just keep stalking prices of flights and cruises until I find a good combination that will be a price I can live with. Hopefully something can work out and I won't HAVE to drive.

I'll go ahead and pile on with everyone else. My kids (now 7 and 5) have each taken 1 or 2 trips by plane each year, every year since they were 1 year old. And they love it! For them, everything about air travel is fun: watching the people at the airport, going through security (yes, really), getting to eat "airport food," watching the ground equipment do its thing, boarding the plane, feeling the plane move and take off . . . you get the idea. We've taken flights of up to 5 hours in duration, and never had any trouble to speak of.

I wouldn't worry about your kids being scared. More likely than not, it'll be one of the hightlights of their trip. I didn't take my first airline flight until I was 10 years old, but I still remember how amazing and exciting I thought it was.

Even if worst comes to worst, and one of them gets airsick . . . well, those little bags in the seat pockets are there for a reason. It's happened to my younger kid, twice now; but she gets over it, and the thrill of air travel remains undiminished.

We started DD flying when she was 13 months old, and I've lost track of how many trips she has done since.

She's been to Florida multiple times as well NM to visit the grandparents, Atlanta and Alaska to visit the grandparents and even one european flight for a transatlantic cruise.

When she was younger, we always purchased her a separate seat and brought her FAA approved car seat which was great for setting behavior expectations- you must be buckled and relatively quiet / respectful of those around you.

Now that she is older, she likes to pack her own travel bag with electronics and magazines for the flight, and she is looking forward to her first solo flight to visit the grandparents.

Now I'm not a good flyer, and she does pick up on that when we fly together, but she generally follows after her fearless father.

I'm looking at several different cruises that leave from Ft. Lauderdale or Miami for our first family cruise with our girls, who are 4 and 6. I figured we'd just drive because it would be cheaper, but I've found several flights that fit into our possible itineraries that would be about $160 - $180 more total for the four of us over renting a car, gas, and parking. And that would be assuming we'd drive straight back after the cruise, 11 1/2 - 12 hours, instead of spending the night in a hotel midway. If we stayed in a hotel on the way back, which I would prefer, the cost of driving vs flying would be about the same. Given this, my husband absolutely thinks we should fly. But I'm nervous about my girls going on their first flight! Silly, I know. It would be a lot of firsts for them - first flight and first cruise - and for some reason that bothers me. But my 6 year old has ADHD and she sometimes gets a bit antsy over a 3 hour drive, my husband thinks to attempt a 12 hour drive would be insane. Yet I would still rather drive!

I know logically for little to no difference in cost, it would make the most sense to fly. For those who have flown with young kids, was it scary for them at all? Or is it just me whose scared? :o. I have flown several times before and it has never bothered me, I don't know why I'm worried about my kids being scared. Any tips for preparing for and getting through a first flight with kids? Am I just overreacting for no reason?

My kids have been flying since they were each 6 months old, they are now 17 and 19. Having said that they have both made the 24 hour drive to FL too...more than once. If I can find a good deal, like you did, then we fly. If I can't we drive. But my kids are also very good travelers. If I had one that couldn't handle a long drive, it would probably make me look twice as hard for a flight. No matter which way you go, the key is to keep them entertained so time goes by faster for them. Tablets and Laptops are great for that now days. Having snacks available also helps.

FWIW my kids were never scared to fly, but DD had issues on our last flight (she was 16) because she had a cold and it hurt her ears pretty badly. We gave her cold medicine before we left but it didn't help. But that is one of the risks you take with flying.

Both of my children have been on the airlines since they were age 2 or so. Here is a very good suggestion given to me by our Pediatrician and one that I still use myself.

To avoid the dreaded ear-popping and pain, I would give the kids a non-drowsy dose of cold and sinus medication 30 minutes before take-off. The medication will open-up the ear canal and sinus cavity hence no ear popping. I just made sure to use a brand that was recommended by our doctor, and for mysef I use non-drowsy Tylenol Sinus.

Also, I would make each child a small goody-bag of fun activity items and small snacks to take along. I would not let them open it until we were on the plane and they were settled. It would contain items such as a mini-coloring book, crayons, cookies, etc..... I would just refrain from putting in any items that could possibly fall on the floor such as puzzles and such. They would look forward to that surprise bag and knew that if they did not behave then they would not be receiving it. It worked like a gem.

Have a great time.

That's what I did for my kids when they were younger too...suggested by our family doctor. She told us to use Triametic Orange...I'm not even sure they make it anymore.

4 and 6 are great ages for flying -- they are old enough to understand the "rules" and young enough that it will be a great adventure.

1. if you are going with the cold medicine to keep the ear canals open, try a dose before you travel. In a small portion of people, OTC cold medicines can have unexpected side effects. (the hospital gave my father a "cocktail" of meds pre surgery that contained the active ingredient in Benedryl -- which for most people has sedative effects. Well for my dad it made him temporarily psychotic, not a good thing :) )
  2. Bring suckers or gum and fill a bottle of water (post security/pre flight) for each kid. During take off and landing the sucking and swallowing also helps keeping ears from plugging up.
  3. Explain the security process in the airport to your kids pre-flight. And talk them through what will happen and what may happen.
    My DD and I have flown together a few times when she was young - once I was pull aside for a random patdown search. She was about 7YO and knew what was happening and what she was supposed to do, etc and it was cool; but I can see how that might freak out some kids.
  4. have some "I Spy" type games up your sleeve for long waits in checkin lines or security that can sometimes happen. Games that both kids can play and that do not require any "parts".
  5. Overpack snacks - if you get delayed any where, they really help.

Some on recommended Benedryl to make my then two year old son sleepy for a flight. It did the opposite! He was a live wire. So I agree, it's best not to experiment on little ones.

If your child is congested. Definitely do a decongestant though. I had a head cold as an adult on a short flight to Cleveland (on hour) and I wanted to cry from the pressure. I also had trouble as a kid with this pressure and learned to yawn and chew gum when necessary.

That's what I did for my kids when they were younger too...suggested by our family doctor. She told us to use Triametic Orange...I'm not even sure they make it anymore.

We're you meaning Triaminic? Will have to try this next time we fly!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

My daughter was 3 on her first flight (for her second cruise) and during take off, she was saying "faster, faster." On the return, she fell asleep. I'm the white knuckle flyer of the family.

I didn't read in the first post whether you were going in a day early and staying in a hotel. IMO, if you're flying anywhere before a cruise, it's best to do this, and I would definitely suggest this in your case (even if there's several same day flights between your home airport and your destination). Just in case there's a problem with your flight, you won't want to be stressing out with kids trying to get to the port on time. And if you forget something and need to go to a store, you've got the time to do so.

We're you meaning Triaminic? Will have to try this next time we fly!

Yes...sorry for this misspelling. My kids are now 17 and 19 and its been many years since I used this with them....but if they still sell it I will say that it did work with my kids. No ear issues at all.

Yes...sorry for this misspelling. My kids are now 17 and 19 and its been many years since I used this with them....but if they still sell it I will say that it did work with my kids. No ear issues at all.

No worries. Just didn't want to get the wrong meds in case there was something I had not seen before. Thanks!

• 1 month later...

My ds laughs at me because I have to close my eyes for take offs and landings. He has no fear of flying at 7 and loves it. We do take an iPad

to keep him entertained! If

Given the choice I would certainly fly. They'll love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums