hotels in New Orleans

poodlemom54

We are sailing out of New Orleans on Carnival - suggestions of where to stay one night before the cruise after taking train in. Thanks!

JW Marriott on Canal across from French Quarter, walk to River, trolley car right outside, etc. GREAT hotel - have a Sazerac while you're there.

We are sailing out of New Orleans on Carnival - suggestions of where to stay one night before the cruise after taking train in. Thanks!

New Orleans is a convention city with literally hundreds of hotels and at all ranges. Since you gave zilch in forms of requirements (# of guests, price range, preferred activities, etc) then I recommend the The Roosevelt (A Hilton Waldorf Property) or The Windsor Court. Both are 5 star properties with lots of history and great locations.

The most quintessentially NOLA hotel is Hotel Monteleone which is located only 1 block from Bourbon Street. They have just been completely refurbished - it is a privately owned hotel that dates back to 1886 and is still owned by the same family. My family (including my parents) has been staying in this hotel whenever we visit NOLA for over 70 years - it is that great. I stayed there, again (I've stayed there dozens of times), a little over a week ago. The service is outstanding - you won't find anything like it anywhere else in NOLA or even the US, for that matter. I mentioned my 91 year old father who went to college at Tulane when he was in the Navy who has stayed at this hotel dozens of times himself to our cocktail waitress and she went all out to give me some Hotel Monteleone logo items such as cocktail napkins and pens to bring back for him. It is like the staff at this hotel cannot do enough for you. The Hotel Monteleone's Carousel Bar is a landmark. Food is excellent and it is convenient to everything in the French Quarter. You can read all about Hotel Monteleone's fabled history here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hotel_Monteleone

While I have stayed elsewhere in NOLA including much more expensive hotels, I would rate the Hotel Monteleone as far above all other hotels in the French Quarter in every way. Also, it is very convenient to the port via taxi - less than 5 minutes drive. Make your dinner reservations for any of NOLA's famous restaurants, have a cocktail in the Carousel Bar and next morning have breakfast at the Monteleone.

I stayed at the Hampton Inn in the Garden District -- trolly stop is literally right outside the door. Very easy to get into New Orleans proper. Staff was extremely helpful and nice. It's in a bit more quiet part of town so I enjoyed that. But after reading the reviews, I think I'm going to try Hotel Monteleone next time I'm there. It sounds right up my ally :-)

My most recent trip to the "Big Easy" was on the Crescent and I decided to stay at the Marriott Hotel near the cruise terminals. It was close to the attractions that I wanted to visit: the Aquarium and the National World War II Museum. The hotel served my purposes and I was pleased with all aspects of my stay.

I would suggest you need to decide on exactly what you want to experience during your visit to New Orleans. If you want the French Quarter experience without having to get some form of transport to get to/from there, a hotel within the French Quarter, or on its close boundaries, would be my selection.

SuiteTraveler suggested a historic hotel. If I return to New Orleans, that is the type of property that I think I will try to book.

If you are interested in WW II history, strongly recommend the Museum. It is an excellent one to visit!

It totally depends on what you want to do in NOLA before you get on the ship. I prefer to stay in the french quarter and last time stayed at the four points sheraton on bourbon street (this is good if you want to be in the middle of the party). I can also recommend the place d'arms by jackson square in the french quarter. ITs a historic hotel and very quaint, not very expensive either.

If you want to be close to the quarter and closer to the port you can try the business district. There is a garden inn on Gravier I like, its far more quiet than the quarter but very close to everything.

There is a Hampton Inn right by the port if you want to be close to the port.

You will love cruising out the mississippi.