Can only US residents do self assist Debarkation?

Velvetwater

Hi

Just heard somewhere that only US residents can get off the ship with their luggage.

Now this causes a problem as I really dislike the thought of leaving my suitcase outside my door on the last night and dont want to be assigned a zone (even though its likely we would get an early one as we are Carnival's fly aweigh program and hope to get FTTF).

We cruised with Carnival in Europe last time and could get off with our bags anytime after 'the call'.

We disembark in Long Beach from the Legend.

Hi

Just heard somewhere that only US residents can get off the ship with their luggage.

Now this causes a problem as I really dislike the thought of leaving my suitcase outside my door on the last night and dont want to be assigned a zone (even though its likely we would get an early one as we are Carnival's fly aweigh program and hope to get FTTF).

We cruised with Carnival in Europe last time and could get off with our bags anytime after 'the call'.

Carnival doesn't say anything about non-U.S. citizens being excluded from self assist debarkation.

Sometimes customs officials will board the ship and all non-U.S. citizens will have to report to a designated area to meet with customs officials on debarkation morning, and no one is allowed to leave the ship until that is complete. At other ports, customs will have 2 separate lines in the terminal for U.S. citizens and non-U.S. citizens. Each passenger will receive documents in their cabin on the last full day of the cruise explaining the procedures.

https://www.goccl.com/~/media/Files/Irman/bookccl/shipboard_knowledge/Debarkation_day.htm

I am not a US resident or citizen and have not a problem doing self assist, but I have been leaving from Miami or Fort Lauderdale.

This MAY be a thing that varies by port though.

That said suppose that in your port they do not have self assist for you. Will they not let you off the ship if you keep your bags in your room for the night? Perhaps it is worth a try!:)

As a non US citizen, I've debarked from Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Port Canaveral and San Juan and again, no issues and all have been within the past 4 -5 years. Maybe something has changed recently? Maybe it depends on the port? If you are keen and need to debark on your own, tell the front desk and I'm sure it won't be a problem. Have a great cruise!

I did self assist in Long Beach with Carnival because non US citizens were required to gather in the show lounge early last morning to dissembark first as to not slow up immigration and customs for US Citizens.

We were required to be off first so self assist was no problem.:)

Edited by fishtaco

For San Juan : in january 2014 non American citizen where not aloud self assist debarkation, and we had ftf and non citizen had to wait longer than americans to debark.

This is because San Juan is in Puerto Rico and not USA:)

I did self assist in Long Beach with Carnival because non US citizens were required to gather in the show lounge early last morning to dissembark first as to not slow up immigration and customs for US Citizens.

We were required to be off first so self assist was no problem.:)

Wonder what was 'special' about your cruise? We've always seen many pax in the NonUS line in Long Beach. Maybe crew check?

OP as long as you can handle all your luggage you can do self debark.

I don't know if the rules are different by port, but we never had any problem in Fort Lauderdale or Miami.

I posted a similar question a few months ago because we wanted to be "Last" off as we are staying in a home port hotel post cruise.

it appears that Carnival requires non US Non Canadian passenger to clear immigration first at "Some" ports but not at others and with being required to be first off its possibly better for the ship that you do self assist.

Wonder what was 'special' about your cruise? We've always seen many pax in the NonUS line in Long Beach. Maybe crew check?

OP as long as you can handle all your luggage you can do self debark.

Not sure? this was on Splendor.

We were required to meet early in the show lounge with other non US citizens and was off very early. We had a 1.30pm flight out of LB airport to Vegas so we sat for hours at the Coffee caravan just left of the cruise terminal as you come out.

I wanted to stay onboard as long as possible but we were not allowed so I kept my luggage and did self assist.

We were not alone because other US self assists were getting off but we were in the first group!

We could not do self assist when leaving the Legend in Tampa. We had to meet in the theatre at 7:30 and go through pre-screening process. Customs officials came on the ship and basically just looked at our duty forms and then we did it all over again once we were off the ship and into the terminal.

You don't have to be US residents to do self assist debarkation. There will be 2 lines. If you are not a US citizen (even if you are a US resident), go to the shorter line on the left side. You normally don't see the end of the shorter line since most people will be in the longer line. Just go to the left and walk straight up. If you're not comfortable walking pass everyone else, ask one of the agents before you get in the wrong line. The line is short but it doesn't mean it's faster. The short line splits into 2+ lines and the long line splits into 4+ lines before you reach an agent. :)

Just yesterday in Tampa while we were waiting to self assist debarkation they said it to us that we had to be us citizens to participate

But that was in Tampa and op was talking about Longbeach.

Unless the rules have been changed for all ports then it seems self assist is available at some and not at others for non US citizens:)

We were on the Carnival Valor in March sailing out of San Juan. I am not a US resident or citizen. We were able to do self assist without any issue. We were required to get off on a different deck then the US citizens. I personally would not leave my luggage unattended.

Not sure? this was on Splendor.

We were required to meet early in the show lounge with other non US citizens and was off very early. We had a 1.30pm flight out of LB airport to Vegas so we sat for hours at the Coffee caravan just left of the cruise terminal as you come out.

I wanted to stay onboard as long as possible but we were not allowed so I kept my luggage and did self assist.

We were not alone because other US self assists were getting off but we were in the first group!

Only other thing I can think of is that all US were already screened electronically. Then if they do CBP for NonUS early onboard then the same CBP officers can also clear the pax in San Pedro. ( The ports are 7 miles apart.)

We were on the Carnival Valor in March sailing out of San Juan. I am not a US resident or citizen. We were able to do self assist without any issue. We were required to get off on a different deck then the US citizens. I personally would not leave my luggage unattended.

Quoting my Debarkation Information flyer from the Valor, also in March:

OPTION 1 - SELF ASSIST DEBARKATION

Self Assist will start at approximately 7:00am, running until 8:00am. Please remember that no announcement will be made before 8:00am. If you are part of the Self Assist Process, feel free to proceed to the Deck 0 Gangway at any time between 7:00am & 8:00am.

Self Assist is ONLY available for US Citizens.

However, if you are not a US Citizen and you do not leave any luggage out of your cabin the night before, you are more than welcome to carry all your bags off the ship after the first zone number has been called.

(emphasis in original)

Seems straightforward enough - self assisting citizens can get off on Deck 0 starting at 7 AM, and self assisting non-citizens can get off on Deck 3 starting at 8 AM (when they start calling zone numbers). That Carnival and/or Customs is not enforcing their own rules/guidelines, if this is what's happening, isn't surprising. I have no issues either way.