Yes, another Choice Air question

JanineM

Earlier today I booked Choice Air tickets for us for a one-way non-stop return LHR-ATL in the spring after a TA.

I picked the non-stop flight on Delta, selected our seats & after receiving the record locator, logged in to Delta and upgraded our seats using our Skymiles status.

After reading different posts I'm a bit confused. Are there issues with these tickets - like them not being honoured? Were we to be bumped a day or so I probably wouldn't be too upset ... but suspect my boss may be!

The problem is know exactly what you purchased since it is hard to find out the fare rules for the tickets that you are offered through Choice Air. Under perfect conditions you will never notice any difference between any consolidator tickets and full fare tickets. The problem is always what happens when things go south and there is the rub with Choice Air: it is hard to know. There is also a great difference between the advertising fluff and the legal fine print that covers Celebrity/RCCL so that they really don't HAVE to do anything in the event of a pear shape taking place. They MIGHT help but they have the edge in that they don't have to help!

There are two stickys at the top of this page that explain the difference in tickets very well and if you haven't read them I would suggest a short perusal. As mentioned consolidator tickets can be a great buy and if all goes according to plan work very well. The issue is always when something happens such as a cancelled or delayed flight. There can be so many restrictions on these tickets that you are left at the good will of the airlines involved to help you and being at the bottom of the "need help" list you will be the last to have your issues delt with if even at all. Although I have not experienced it personally friends we met on one cruise got burnt very badly once on this type of ticket. Due to the restrictions on their tickets their travel insurance even refused to honour their obligations under the trip interuption clause. There was something in the fine print of their policy that specifically refered to this class of fare and they ended up missing that cruise and out a fair chunk of change.

There are two stickys at the top of this page that explain the difference in tickets very well and if you haven't read them I would suggest a short perusal. As mentioned consolidator tickets can be a great buy and if all goes according to plan work very well. The issue is always when something happens such as a cancelled or delayed flight. There can be so many restrictions on these tickets that you are left at the good will of the airlines involved to help you and being at the bottom of the "need help" list you will be the last to have your issues delt with if even at all. Although I have not experienced it personally friends we met on one cruise got burnt very badly once on this type of ticket. Due to the restrictions on their tickets their travel insurance even refused to honour their obligations under the trip interuption clause. There was something in the fine print of their policy that specifically refered to this class of fare and they ended up missing that cruise and out a fair chunk of change.

I read the sticky. We're using Choice Air for our flight home only, so if we're delayed it only affects our ability to get back to work the next day ... we won't miss a cruise. And it's a direct flight, so no concerns about missed connections.

I just reviewed our tickets on the Delta website and we have a U-class fare. DH is platinum on Delta and that generally helps (or I would hope it helps) if we run into a problem. Choice Air was $689 each versus $1,675 for the exact same flight and seat through Delta. I guess this is one of those times when there will be no horrible ramifications if something happens. KNOCK WOOD ... I'm not looking for something to happen!

I think "U" is the second lowest fare class for economy tickets on DL. When you say you "upgraded" using status, I assume you mean you could choose seats in Economy Comfort section? As it does not appear this is a fare class eligible for mileage upgrade, though I'm not a DL expert.

I personally would not worry about this much.

I read the sticky. We're using Choice Air for our flight home only, so if we're delayed it only affects our ability to get back to work the next day ... we won't miss a cruise. And it's a direct flight, so no concerns about missed connections.

I just reviewed our tickets on the Delta website and we have a U-class fare. DH is platinum on Delta and that generally helps (or I would hope it helps) if we run into a problem. Choice Air was $689 each versus $1,675 for the exact same flight and seat through Delta. I guess this is one of those times when there will be no horrible ramifications if something happens. KNOCK WOOD ... I'm not looking for something to happen!

Just for a little clarification on the HUGE difference in pricing. 1. US airlines do NOT sell discounted one way tickets to Europe, Asia, South America, etc. etc. To get a comparably priced ticket on a TRUE one way basis, you have to look "outside the box". The best deal going is an award ticket on an airline that sells ONE WAY awards for ONE WAY miles. And AA is the best for this. You could have bought the miles you needed for your flight at just about the same price you paid Choice Air and had all the perks and benefits of a "published fare" ticket. BUT, AerLingus, IcelandAir, LOT, AirBerlin, Royal Jordanian (if you don't mind transiting through Jordan) and even Kuwait Airline (first class-very often $1000 from the USA to LHR) are all options to get really, really decent priced one way tickets AND generally better service, even in coach.

2. What Choice Air sold you was HALF of a RT ticket they bought in bulk. So believe me, the cruise line made a CHUNK of change on your booking and whoever got the other 1/2 of your ticket. $689 x 2=$1378. And that is IF the person going ATL/LHR paid the same as you. I will bet money that Choice Air purchased your ticket well over a year ago on contract for $1000 or less. NICE Commission.

As 6rugrats posted, you should be fine. BUT as I post so frequently, there is a lot more to an airline ticket than just the price. Enjoy your cruise.

Just for a little clarification on the HUGE difference in pricing. 1. US airlines do NOT sell discounted one way tickets to Europe, Asia, South America, etc. etc. To get a comparably priced ticket on a TRUE one way basis, you have to look "outside the box". The best deal going is an award ticket on an airline that sells ONE WAY awards for ONE WAY miles. And AA is the best for this. You could have bought the miles you needed for your flight at just about the same price you paid Choice Air and had all the perks and benefits of a "published fare" ticket. BUT, AerLingus, IcelandAir, LOT, AirBerlin, Royal Jordanian (if you don't mind transiting through Jordan) and even Kuwait Airline (first class-very often $1000 from the USA to LHR) are all options to get really, really decent priced one way tickets AND generally better service, even in coach.

2. What Choice Air sold you was HALF of a RT ticket they bought in bulk. So believe me, the cruise line made a CHUNK of change on your booking and whoever got the other 1/2 of your ticket. $689 x 2=$1378. And that is IF the person going ATL/LHR paid the same as you. I will bet money that Choice Air purchased your ticket well over a year ago on contract for $1000 or less. NICE Commission.

As 6rugrats posted, you should be fine. BUT as I post so frequently, there is a lot more to an airline ticket than just the price. Enjoy your cruise.

I think "U" is the second lowest fare class for economy tickets on DL. When you say you "upgraded" using status, I assume you mean you could choose seats in Economy Comfort section? As it does not appear this is a fare class eligible for mileage upgrade, though I'm not a DL expert.

I personally would not worry about this much.

Correct. Delta's L-U-T fares cannot be upgraded to business class with miles or SWU's, but as platinum (OP or spouse, I forget which it was) medallion they can pick Economy Comfort seats at no extra charge.

Archived