Just booked our first cruise.

fuddhist1

My wife and I are extremely excited to have just booked our first cruise. We will be on the carnival fascination sailing from Jacksonville to Nassau and Freeport on October 19th. Please time go by quickly.

One thing I would like to know is if it is worth it to pay the $100 to keep the Vacation Protection on my trip? Barring something catastrophic with health or something, we will definitely not be canceling. Is it worth the money vs the company's existing cancellation policy?

Also can anyone help with the Cheers program? It will add another $500 to us but not sure what drink prices are on the ship so I am trying to compare to see what would be cheaper.

Thanks for any help and if anyone else will be on this cruise I would love to hear from you.

Robert

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Trip insurance provides coverage if you have to cancel during the penalty period, but it covers other things too. Medical care - Many plans do not cover you outside the US. Emergency Medical Evacuation - Gets you back to a US hospital. Trip interruption - say a parent dies during the cruise. Only you can decide whether the piece of mind is worth the cost.

For the Cheers program, check the Carnival section of these pages. There may even be a calculator spreadsheet that simplifies the calculation for you. I know there is one in the Princess section, but it is based on their prices.

The Roll Call for you cruise is the place to meet others sailing with you. To join, go to the top of this page and move the cursor over "Community". Select Roll Calls from the drop down. Scroll to your cruise line and then Click on your ship. Finally, find the thread for your sailing.

Trip insurance provides coverage if you have to cancel during the penalty period, but it covers other things too. Medical care - Many plans do not cover you outside the US. Emergency Medical Evacuation - Gets you back to a US hospital. Trip interruption - say a parent dies during the cruise. Only you can decide whether the piece of mind is worth the cost.

For the Cheers program, check the Carnival section of these pages. There may even be a calculator spreadsheet that simplifies the calculation for you. I know there is one in the Princess section, but it is based on their prices.

The Roll Call for you cruise is the place to meet others sailing with you. To join, go to the top of this page and move the cursor over "Community". Select Roll Calls from the drop down. Scroll to your cruise line and then Click on your ship. Finally, find the thread for your sailing.

That makes sense about the insurance. Thanks I believe we will keep it. I read about that woman from Canada that owed like a million dollars to have a baby while on vacation in Hawaii.

My wife and I are extremely excited to have just booked our first cruise. We will be on the carnival fascination sailing from Jacksonville to Nassau and Freeport on October 19th. Please time go by quickly.

One thing I would like to know is if it is worth it to pay the $100 to keep the Vacation Protection on my trip? Barring something catastrophic with health or something, we will definitely not be canceling. Is it worth the money vs the company's existing cancellation policy?

Also can anyone help with the Cheers program? It will add another $500 to us but not sure what drink prices are on the ship so I am trying to compare to see what would be cheaper.

Thanks for any help and if anyone else will be on this cruise I would love to hear from you.

Robert

If you are purchasing your insurance through Carnival, I would recommend that you don't. Take a look at the many different policies you can find on InsureMyTrip dot com. You'll find many different policies with many different options. I'm sure you can find one with more and better coverage for less. I use InsureMyTrip.Com and I pay only about 10 to 30% more for cruises lasting twice as long or longer.

Congratulations on booking your first cruise. Once you have taken that cruise you will be hooked.

We always buy insurance. You never know when something will happen.

As to the drink package -- it all depends on how much you drink as to whether it will be worth it.

Congrats on your first cruise! My husband and I also just recently booked our first cruise as well. On the Dream out of New Orleans on Oct 25th. I also hope that the time goes by fast! It seems so far away right now.

Anyway, thank you for bringing up the question about insurance. I haven't purchased it, but might look into it. Does anyone know if I can purchase it on my own given that my reservation was booked using a travel agent? (It's a group cruise, so I had no choice.)

Anyway, thank you for bringing up the question about insurance. I haven't purchased it, but might look into it. Does anyone know if I can purchase it on my own given that my reservation was booked using a travel agent? (It's a group cruise, so I had no choice.)

Yes, you can purchase insurance on your own. I recommend going to InsureMyTrip dot com where you can compare lots of different policies. Pick the one that best suits your needs.

My hubby and I booked our first cruise together on Oct 19th to the Bahamas as well but we are going through Norwegian. Couldn't pass up the promo they had for free Ultimate Beverage Package. We will be counting the days down together... 206 days left! LOL

http://www.zydecocruiser.net/Carnival-Bar-Menu/CarnivalCruiseBarMenu.htm

depends on what you want to drink and how many. factor in how many port days vs how many sea days-- in other words-- how long are you on the ship? vs how long are you off.

Cans of soda is 2.25 each

but you can also carry on your own 12 pack of favorite (each)

what kind of cabin did you book?

Edited by serene56

http://www.zydecocruiser.net/Carnival-Bar-Menu/CarnivalCruiseBarMenu.htm

depends on what you want to drink and how many. factor in how many port days vs how many sea days-- in other words-- how long are you on the ship? vs how long are you off.

Cans of soda is 2.25 each

but you can also carry on your own 12 pack of favorite (each)

what kind of cabin did you book?

We booked an ocean view on deck U.

My hubby and I booked our first cruise together on Oct 19th to the Bahamas as well but we are going through Norwegian. Couldn't pass up the promo they had for free Ultimate Beverage Package. We will be counting the days down together... 206 days left! LOL

That's awesome! Can't wait to see Atlantis.

That's awesome! Can't wait to see Atlantis.

Look at day rate at comfort suites which will give you Atlantis for a fraction of the cost

Look at day rate at comfort suites which will give you Atlantis for a fraction of the cost

Thanks for the tip, we read reviews about the Atlantis excursion and everyone says they could get it cheaper just walking into Atlantis and buying it there.