USB Jump Drive to use on TV

wangel

We are on the Celebrity Summit in about 3 weeks going to Bermuda. Our daughter is a big TV addict and would rather just stay in the cabin watching TV. We want to fill up a jump drive of movies for her to watch. So here are my questions:

Do the in room TV's on the Summit allow for a jump drive? We will be on Deck 7 in an inside cabin.

Any idea on what format? Probably AVI would be most common?

Any idea on what format? Probably AVI would be most common?

AVI files consist of encoded video that has to be decoded to play back - I seriously doubt that the TV will have built-in codecs for that. You may be better off bringing a tablet or laptop and hooking it up to the TV via an HDMI cable.

Or better yet, give your daughter a kick in the rear and drag her outside once in a while.

AVI files consist of encoded video that has to be decoded to play back - I seriously doubt that the TV will have built-in codecs for that. You may be better off bringing a tablet or laptop and hooking it up to the TV via an HDMI cable.

Or better yet, give your daughter a kick in the rear and drag her outside once in a while.

Here here!

No option that we have ever seen for a USB port that would accommodate that.

And every Celebrity ship we've been on has had the HDMI ports disabled so not to be used. Some have come up with convoluted ways of enabling the HDMI ports (purchase another remote, etc.) but way too much trouble for us to watch a video. If we want to, we just watch it on the laptop.

Really, give the OP a break :rolleyes:

Try getting a wireless hard drive and use a tablet to watch programs

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=1330

No option that we have ever seen for a USB port that would accommodate that.

And every Celebrity ship we've been on has had the HDMI ports disabled so not to be used. Some have come up with convoluted ways of enabling the HDMI ports (purchase another remote, etc.) but way too much trouble for us to watch a video. If we want to, we just watch it on the laptop.

We've never had a problem hooking up to the HDMI port. Nothing convoluted, just plugged it in.

We've never had a problem hooking up to the HDMI port. Nothing convoluted, just plugged it in.

You must have the magic touch!

How do you switch the input? There is no input on the remote and the input on the side of the appliance is dead. Close to 20 Celebrity cruises in all classes since the flat screen upgrades and never worked for us.

How do you switch the input? There is no input on the remote and the input on the side of the appliance is dead. Close to 20 Celebrity cruises in all classes since the flat screen upgrades and never worked for us.

We've never had to change the imput. We just unplug what they have and plug in our HDMI. Maybe we've just been lucky.

HI all, not sure if you can do this as I have not tried it yet (Apr/2016). But I did read on another post (celebrity ship, cannot remember the ships name) that a passenger called guest relations and requested the HDMI slot to be "enabled" so that their daughter could hook up her labtop to watch movies. They had no problem with it and a staff member from the IT came to their cabin and did it.

I think the difference here is some are trying to use an unused HDMI port (which generally will not work) and others are unplugging Celebrity's interactive system (which we will not do since they put it there) and it will work.

We've never had to change the imput. We just unplug what they have and plug in our HDMI. Maybe we've just been lucky.

Hi Pat,

You are right! When you travel on "S" class ships not all are equal. Silhouette for example you can simply unplug the second "HDMI" port used by the ship and plug your personal stuff into this same port. But on Equinox they use the DVI port instead of an HDMI Port.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Mark me down as a "convoluted" soul !

I purchased a remote (barely $10 on Amazon) for their brand of TV's - Samsung as I recall. Then did some research and learned how to turn the "Hotel Mode" off. It works, but is somewhat of a hassle. For those who have simply asked for an HDMI port to be enabled once onboard, did you still retain the functionality of the regular ship TV service ?

Tom