Chip and pin credit cards

Starting August 1st Australia will start accepting only chip and pin credit cards. I called Wells Fargo today to convert my present card to chip and pin so I do not need to worry how will or will not accept my old swipe card.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Starting August 1st Australia will start accepting only chip and pin credit cards. I called Wells Fargo today to convert my present card to chip and pin so I do not need to worry how will or will not accept my old swipe card.

That's a good idea.

While technically, signing will still be possible, it's not uncommon to encounter someone new who only is trained in one way. Whenever you don't fall in line with 'the majority' it may take longer to deal with the atypical situation.

For example, there are a fair number of vending and public transport machines here, as well as in Europe that operate on PINs (only). If you don't have a PIN card, you have to join the longer queues at the service counter, and sometimes that manual service can mean extra fees, and may for example mean you miss the next train, and on it goes..

I was about to say " You mean a chip-and-signature card there are almost no true c&p in the USA " but fortunately I googled first...

It seems that Wells Fargo is first out of the gate of the major banks and it is a real c&p card. I hope Chase follows soon as I'm happy with my Marriott card but it is a chip and signature.

Capital One is the card we travel with because there are no annual fees or foreign transaction fees. I spoke with them yesterday and the rep told me that they are planning to have the chip and pin cards in the near future.:)

I just want to add that being from Canada and having the chip and pin card can be a little annoying at times when traveling to other countries. Last year when we were in Montego Bay and stopped by Margaritaville to get a drink our visa wouldn't work. Some countries just don't know what to do with them and visa won't accept a swipe only transaction. There was another couple in there with the same problem. She was waiting for her husband to come back from the ship with cash. Always have some cash on you to cover you.

I just want to add that being from Canada and having the chip and pin card can be a little annoying at times when traveling to other countries. Last year when we were in Montego Bay and stopped by Margaritaville to get a drink our visa wouldn't work. Some countries just don't know what to do with them and visa won't accept a swipe only transaction. There was another couple in there with the same problem. She was waiting for her husband to come back from the ship with cash. Always have some cash on you to cover you.

I've never had an issue using my chip card for a swipe only. Visa absolutely accepts it when it's only a swipe. Macy's in the US will attest to that :)

Capital One is the card we travel with because there are no annual fees or foreign transaction fees. I spoke with them yesterday and the rep told me that they are planning to have the chip and pin cards in the near future.:)
I have used Cap1 for a number of years because of their no foreign transaction fees. Cap1 has been telling me the same thing ("in the near future") for about three years. I'm hoping they really mean it this time:cool:

Addressing a comment made by someone else: ANY US issued credit card can have a PIN associated with it. I used my (swipe) Cap1 card a number of times in Spain last month and after it was swiped down the side of the machine (versus stuck into the machine like a chip card would be) I was presented the machine and asked to enter my PIN. They MAY have had a back-up signature option; knowing my PIN I didn't have to find out. It is the embedded Chip that is missing from most US cards, not the ability to have an associated PIN.

Thom

I have had a chip and pin for maybe 3 years now. It is a Citibank Mastercard. It is great when it works. I have had the card go bad on me 2 times so far. 1st I was in Japan for 40 days and about 25 days in it stopped working with chip and pin. But it would work at the ATM machine. The other time I was in London, about after 7 days the chip and pin stopped working. I was getting my daily Starbucks and it just stopped working on their machine. Strip or Pin. It also would not work in the ATM machine. But I was able to check out of the hotel. So the strip must have still been working. I called Citibank and my card at their end was good.

It doesnt make business since for Australia to only have the option of chip and pin. What are the Australians going to do if they travel to the United States with not having a magnetic strip on their cards, and 90% of Americans not having a chip and pin? I dont know any business in the United StatesWe will all have them at some point, but it will take years.

Just did some looking at new 2014 cards coming out.

The EMV cards being rolled out stateside are a bit different than those rolled out in other countries. The U.S. cards use what’s called “chip and signature” technology, while the EMV cards being issued overseas generally use “chip and PIN” technology. The chip and PIN cards require the cardholder to type in a PIN to complete a transaction, making it difficult for a thief who gets ahold of the card to use it. Although chip and signature cards still have the more-secure computer chip, they require a signature for the transaction, rather than a PIN.

Update: JPMorgan Chase announced in February 2014 that it would start issuing chip-and-PIN (not just chip-and-signature) cards later in the year.

Why would the stay with a signature. Chip and pin would be better.

Just did some looking at new 2014 cards coming out.

The EMV cards being rolled out stateside are a bit different than those rolled out in other countries. The U.S. cards use what’s called “chip and signature” technology, while the EMV cards being issued overseas generally use “chip and PIN” technology. The chip and PIN cards require the cardholder to type in a PIN to complete a transaction, making it difficult for a thief who gets ahold of the card to use it. Although chip and signature cards still have the more-secure computer chip, they require a signature for the transaction, rather than a PIN.

Update: JPMorgan Chase announced in February 2014 that it would start issuing chip-and-PIN (not just chip-and-signature) cards later in the year.

Why would the stay with a signature. Chip and pin would be better.

It can be a much safer way to make transactions while overseas unless the vender cannot handle the new technology. Admittedly this happens less nowadays as most larger venders will take a card while the smaller venders take cash only.:D

You are wright In that some cards are chip and swipe but Well Fargo s new card is chip and pin I just ordered mine and it comes with the pin and they send instructions on how to change your pin

We had problems using our card in the us because no PIN number was requested. Caused us real problems, had to resort to using an ATM to draw from our bank account.

It is strange how the pin is deemed safer than the signature (hacked vs forged) but in any case anything that limits fruad on my accounts is welcome.:D

• 2 months later...