Civitaveccia to train with luggage

cruisemuse27

SO HOW HARD IS IT REALLY TO BOARD A TRAIN AT CIVITAVECCIA WITH LUGGAGE?

we are a group of 6 seniors, will get off ship and use the shuttle to get us to civitavechia...then walk to train station....with luggage...board train for rome, then switch train platforms to go to Lugano Switzerland....

we also have an option of a van service to take us to rome , then board the train there....

any opinions out there.....I hear the civitavechia train station is very user unfriendly.....

Depends on how many pieces and how big the luggage. The walk is not far from the port, but its not exactly a piece of cake either. I saw a lot of people struggling with big pieces of luggage from the port. A cab could be worth the few euro's.

Also Rome's Termini station can be difficult to navigate also.

The good news is once on the train to Switerzerland, you'll love it. Beautifull.

Split between six of you the cost of a private transfer won't be horrible, so I'd go with that. I think it would be worth it to you to be picked up right at the ship and dropped at the station in Rome, avoiding the shuttle bus to the port exit, and the walk to the train station, and the potential need to schlep your luggage down a flight of stairs and up the other side, and getting it on a train to the airport, and figuring out how/where to stow it, then getting it off the train at Termini.

With the car service you'll only have to get yourself and your things onto one train.

We took the train with luggage from this port to Rome. We travel with carryon luggage only: one roller bag and one backpack. The train leaving the port was full, my husband ended up sitting on the luggage near the door and I was able to grab a seat. Luckily he was able to get word to me when it was our stop, or I would have missed it. If you can not manage your own luggage, or you have a lot of luggage, I would recommend a cab.

check out my blog

winenchocolate dot com

We were just there in June. While we have traveled by train at many locations, on this day it was just a port stop. We took the train into Rome and you must go down a flight of stairs then back up in Civitavecchia. The trains as you are getting on while enroute not at an originating location can be very crowded. Many people were standing on the train for the entire trip, there were some with luggage that made the crowding even worse.

I vote for a cab, especially if you can have it meet you at the ship. The bus, walk, train option will wear you out!

We have done the Rome port 3 times over the past few years, once with luggage. I think it was about 12€ each for the train - I think the cab is a bit more, but splitting the cab 6 ways would be the best way - and save you lots of time.

We are in our fifties and did exactly this last fall. It was manageable, but difficult largely because of the stairs in the station at Civitavecchia . We were ok getting seats, but the train did get crowded, even on a Saturday morning.

We will do the train again next time we return, but not with a large bag and a carry on each. Your other option might make for an easier trip. We found Termini in Rome no problem to navigate at all.

Enjoy.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

well seems like the vote is for a large van to take us straight from ship to train in rome...but there we would still have to handle the luggage, we will all have one large suitcase and carry on....once we get to lugano, they store the luggage for us and take it to the airport from which we will fly home..zurich...really a brilliant service...and very reasonable...

so the VAN transport from civi to rome is 25E pp....train from civi to rome is 12E pp...but if the walking and stairs in civi are that difficult , then there really is no choice...

has anyone gone to switz from rome?

well seems like the vote is for a large van to take us straight from ship to train in rome...but there we would still have to handle the luggage, we will all have one large suitcase and carry on....once we get to lugano, they store the luggage for us and take it to the airport from which we will fly home..zurich...really a brilliant service...and very reasonable...

so the VAN transport from civi to rome is 25E pp....train from civi to rome is 12E pp...but if the walking and stairs in civi are that difficult , then there really is no choice...

I'm a big fan of the train, but I think for that price, the van makes sense.

We will be traveling from Florence to Zurich by train on Sunday (currently in Tuscany). Will try to post a report. Anything in particular you want to know about?

Have to agree, that in your situation the van service makes more sense. There is no guarantee that you would even be able to find taxis to take you to the station in Civitavecchia (it is hit and miss) since most taxis are looking for a longer haul. Also keep in mind that even with a transfer to Termini, you will need to get your luggage from the van/taxi to your train..and this can be quite a walk within that huge station.

Hank

Train from Civitavecchia to Rome is €5 for most trains; not €12. If you're booking a single ticket Civitavecchia to Zurich, it may be that the price is exactly the same from Civitavecchia to Zurich; as Roma to Zurich

Also if the OP is heading north, they may want to consider taking the train north from Civitavecchia along the coast to Genoa and change to Milan (and further north) there.

We are 61 and 65, active travelers and avid DIYers. But now that they have moved the shuttle drop off spot further away from the train station, and with large bags, I would really be in favor of shared transport as well. You'll be glad you did, if you do!

We have taken the train from Termini to Lyon, and from Venice to Zurich, both great trips and very easy. But we pack lightly, one 24" roller each plus purse/ backpack, so we can easily manage our luggage. We have packed that way for trips of 4-6 weeks (including adequate cruise formalwear) multiple times.

you guys are great....

l will be more specific with what we are doing...

getting off ship, 3 couples...have a van booked...25E pp...it will take us to rome train station, from where we will take the train to Lugano...staying overnight in lugano, then taking the wilhelm tell train and boat to Lucerne, staying two nights there, then to zurich for one night and fly home...

if a train ticket is cheaper all the way to lugano from civitavecchia , then from rome, then maybe that is the way to go...

if anyone has done switzerland, how did you figure out all their combinations of train fares...there is a swiss pass, there is a half fare pass....all so confusing...they do give a 1-800 number, I will be calling....

One good thing is that the pavement between Civitavecchia port and station is very wheely friendly - there are little ramps at all the kerbs. (Photo attached). The walk was very easy with a moderate amount of luggage.

fUm3yi.jpg

Edited by cruiseathon

One good thing is that the pavement between Civitavecchia port and station is very wheely friendly - there are little ramps at all the kerbs. (Photo attached). The walk was very easy with a moderate amount of luggage.

fUm3yi.jpg

You May not know that they have temporarily moved the port shuttle drop off further away from the train station. It's now close to a mile to walk once you get off the porch shuttlebus. You can pay for a city bus which I believe is less than 1€ to take you the train station but that involves loading and unloading your luggage an additional time

oops ..we are 4 couples....

so if we take a bus to the station...1E pp....

we still save 50E per couple not taking a van to rome station...especially if the rate from civi to lugano is the same as rome to lugano....have to look into that...so I know what I am comparing...

We thought it would be easy to get a taxi to the station but they refused to take us as they want a longer fare.the walk for 4 seniors on a very hot day pulling cases was exhausting. Trying to go up & down stairs at station with baggage was a killer and when the train came it was crowded and almost impossible to get a seat. The next time we arranged a pickup for 70 euros and it was well worth it.

our choice is to go from civi by train to lugano switzerland, or take a van service to rome and go by train there to lugano..either way we are taking a train....so its the hassle at civi or the hassle at rome train station...which is the worst hassle....

and going straight to lugano from civi , we save the van costs...and maybe take the city bus...yes luggage always an issue....

our choice is to go from civi by train to lugano switzerland, or take a van service to rome and go by train there to lugano..either way we are taking a train....so its the hassle at civi or the hassle at rome train station...which is the worst hassle....

and going straight to lugano from civi , we save the van costs...and maybe take the city bus...yes luggage always an issue....

Ok, so now you have phrased the issue a bit different. Comparing the two stations we would say that Civitavecchia is less of a hassle because it's relatively small. Termini is a huge station (several city blocks) and, depending on your track, it can be a very long hike from the taxi drop (at the main entrance) to your train.

But your issue is really complicated by whether you would even get a taxi to take you from the ship to the Civitavecchia station. In our experience most of the taxis will simply refuse to take you (there is another posts about that happening) or they will insist on some kind of outrageous fare for the short ride. You also need to consider that the regional trains from Civitavecchia normally end at a very distant track within Termini...and you could find yourself with a very long walk between trains. Given your situation with luggage, the current closing on the port's main entrance, and the possible taxi problem, we think the transfer to Rome probably makes the most sense.

Hank

thank you for your input, it is very much appreciated...

in your first paragraph, you say civi is easier....

in the second you suggest we take the van to rome where we will get the train to lugano....

if we go from civi to lugano, we could use the city bus..and since it is next may , the entrance may be fixed by then and be closer....

and you are right, this does seem overly complex...

I really need to find a 1- 800 number to eurorail and ask for some advice but even then , not sure anyone would really know the situation in civi except for someone off a cruise...

by the way, has anyone gone to switzerland from civi?

maybe should post that on the main board?

Our friends got "stung"by one of those helpers at termini last year. They are very friendly people who will talk to anyone and didn't want to be rude to the young lady. They are not street wise and therefore definitely not rome wise and learned the hard way. The helper took them to their train even though we were all together and hubby and I just refused her help - more travel wise -when she located their seats she then asked for 5 euro each. I had warned them and told them throughout that she wasn't the kind helpful person they thought she was. Unfortunately we sometimes have to appear rude as these people will not take no for an answer.

To the OP we are always out to save a dollar someone that means more dollars for travelling but your scenario I would without doubt spend the 25 euro pp for the private shuttle. we have trained rome to venice fori our cruise then bus/train venice to vienna which was easy and scenic. The hardest part of this sort of travel is the stations that don't have lifts or escalators, paris being one of these cities too with very few stations. A hint for anyone else wanting info is to google search disabled facilities at train stations. we choose our hotels if we can to be near a station that has a lift. we don't travel with a lot of luggage but even one small case and a backpack can be hard work on those steps.