Can anyone help with a good resturant for a group booking for a roll call?

kazu

I usually answer and not ask but I have been stymied.

I had a great reservation for our roll call in Barcelona where they could have had anything but tapas to paella and I was very happy. Everything all set and now, because we are coming in November their hours are reverting to 8:00 pm. I realize that is early in Spain, but a lot of our roll call members are flying in that day so they are going to be pretty zapped and I had an original booking 6:00 pm for dinner.

Now, we are 6 weeks from sailing and I am back to square one. :eek:

Several places want to do set menus (which I am not a fan of)

I just want a decent place where people can sample.

We have 25 people. Any words of wisdom or thoughts?

Should we do a late lunch at 3:30?

any experiences out there with good, non tourista places to eat for a group?

thanks if anyone can help ;)

Have they actually told you that you cannot go earlier?

I would have thought a restaurant would be more flexible with a guaranteed booking of 25 people - especially as you had already made a booking. Perhaps you could compromise on 7pm

Which restaurant is this?

yes, they actually said that the time of the restaurant was now 8 p.m. and they could accommodate us at 8 pm.

I was totally taken aback too.. No compromise.

Not impressed - so looking elsewhere. Was actually checking your forum yesterday to see any suggestions ;)

Edited by kazu

I tried to do something similar for a roll call group a few years ago.

I had great difficulty finding somewhere that suited everyone. In the end we just met for a drink.

Thanks Carol.

I'm not one to give up easily. The group doesn't seem to be that hard to please overall although the other restaurant did have a good variety.

I have sent out a few feeler emails.

I know it is frustrating to have your plans changed - and quite understand that some of your fellow rollcallers will be tired. However, anything pre-8 p.m. is extremely early for a decent Tapas bar/restaurant - places opening any earlier often, although of course not always, cater for tourists rather than local trade with inferior quality food and no atmosphere.

I personally would either stick to your original place and hope that you can all have a few hours rest prior to dining or change to a leisurely lunch.

Edited by campolady

I usually answer and not ask but I have been stymied.

I had a great reservation for our roll call in Barcelona where they could have had anything but tapas to paella and I was very happy. Everything all set and now, because we are coming in November their hours are reverting to 8:00 pm. I realize that is early in Spain, but a lot of our roll call members are flying in that day so they are going to be pretty zapped and I had an original booking 6:00 pm for dinner.

Now, we are 6 weeks from sailing and I am back to square one. :eek:

Several places want to do set menus (which I am not a fan of)

I just want a decent place where people can sample.

We have 25 people. Any words of wisdom or thoughts?

Should we do a late lunch at 3:30?

any experiences out there with good, non tourista places to eat for a group?

thanks if anyone can help ;)

There are some wonderful restaurants in Barcelona. Please indicate the type of food (seafood etc) the style of interior (Classic/Modern) etc.

Have you tried contacting some of the restaurants on Tripadvisor? We went to a very nice tapas bar just off Paseo de Gracia. I'll see if I can find the name

thanks. I have sent some e's out to a couple of good ones to see if they have room for the group. The only issue with tapas bars is that a lot of them don't have the space and many won't do reservations, but I am working away.

I know it is frustrating to have your plans changed - and quite understand that some of your fellow rollcallers will be tired. However, anything pre-8 p.m. is extremely early for a decent Tapas bar/restaurant - places opening any earlier often, although of course not always, cater for tourists rather than local trade with inferior quality food and no atmosphere.

I personally would either stick to your original place and hope that you can all have a few hours rest prior to dining or change to a leisurely lunch.

If we have to eat at 8 pm, it will not be at the original place. There's lots of choices for that time.

late lunch is going to interfere with people that are touring sadly.

There are tapas places that don't close and are not "turista" so I'm searching and trying to find a good place with space that will let us reserve.

thanks. I have sent some e's out to a couple of good ones to see if they have room for the group. The only issue with tapas bars is that a lot of them don't have the space and many won't do reservations, but I am working away.

If we have to eat at 8 pm, it will not be at the original place. There's lots of choices for that time.

late lunch is going to interfere with people that are touring sadly.

There are tapas places that don't close and are not "turista" so I'm searching and trying to find a good place with space that will let us reserve.

It would appear you are seeking a restaurant being oldish world and modern at the same time, not tourist, being all things to all people. Then would suggest this one as a starting point. From here you can go more modern or more older worldly. http://www.grupmontiel.com/restaurantemontiel.html

It would appear you are seeking a restaurant being oldish world and modern at the same time, not tourist, being all things to all people. Then would suggest this one as a starting point. From here you can go more modern or more older worldly. http://www.grupmontiel.com/restaurantemontiel.html

this place looks very nice. I have emailed them with an inquiry.

We had tapas in La Bodegueta Provenca which had bfe

thanks very much both of you :)

For anyone else in this predicament, I have had some luck with Sensi Bistro (well rated) and they can accommodate us at 6:45.

I have posted on the roll call to see if it suits. It will be a tasting menu and they are even including paella. Price is reasonable at 22 euros with 7 items IMO.

Thanks for the tips :)

I really appreciate the help and feedback :)

Edited by kazu

Just an update for anyone who hits this situation - This restaurant offered a nice menu and a tasting - but at 68 euros:eek: and they want my visa which will be charged:eek:

Sensi Bistro has been wonderful in emails, amended the tasting recipe as I knew certain people wanted something and the roll call is all on board so far :)

They have reserved our table and have told us we can have it for two hours which is more than fair. Cost is about 22 euros (not including drinks of course) Sensi Bistro it is. I will do a review on tripadvisor when I return if anyone is interested.

Just an update for anyone who hits this situation - This restaurant offered a nice menu and a tasting - but at 68 euros:eek: and they want my visa which will be charged:eek:

Sensi Bistro has been wonderful in emails, amended the tasting recipe as I knew certain people wanted something and the roll call is all on board so far :)

They have reserved our table and have told us we can have it for two hours which is more than fair. Cost is about 22 euros (not including drinks of course) Sensi Bistro it is. I will do a review on tripadvisor when I return if anyone is interested.

Wow! A wonderful tasting menu including tax, Vat, service charge for $25.00 (£17.00) per person - Wow, wow, wow.

Wow! A wonderful tasting menu including tax, Vat, service charge for $25.00 (£17.00) per person - Wow, wow, wow.

22 euros not 17 - but it is a very good price. I suspect service is extra. It is an approximate. And yes, I am very pleased.

I always do a live thread but I will try to remember to come back here and post our impressions.

they have excellent reviews and Dh and I have eaten at their sister tapas place which is too tiny for the group and it was very good.

Thanks again all for your help.

Edited by kazu

Hats off to you on organizing this. My roll call is doing a pre-cruise dinner, with 45 expressing interest. We're meeting on Las Ramblas at 7 p.m. outside a common hotel for a bunch of us. We'll do introductions then break into smaller groups according to tastes and go our own ways because the area is crawling with restaurants. We figure it will be close to 8 before we get ourselves sorted out.

Hats off to you on organizing this. My roll call is doing a pre-cruise dinner, with 45 expressing interest. We're meeting on Las Ramblas at 7 p.m. outside a common hotel for a bunch of us. We'll do introductions then break into smaller groups according to tastes and go our own ways because the area is crawling with restaurants. We figure it will be close to 8 before we get ourselves sorted out.

Thanks :) Sensi couldn't accommodate a group as large as yours, but probably Bilbo Berria could. They are close to the Cathedral and have a large of selection of pinxtos and tapas, plus regular Spanish fare.

Your plan works well too!

Most restaurants on las Ramblas are more turista and expensive than those off las Ramblas, at least in my experience.

Have fun :)

Thanks :) Sensi couldn't accommodate a group as large as yours, but probably Bilbo Berria could. They are close to the Cathedral and have a large of selection of pinxtos and tapas, plus regular Spanish fare.

Your plan works well too!

Most restaurants on las Ramblas are more turista and expensive than those off las Ramblas, at least in my experience.

Have fun :)

Thanks for the recommendation. I wouldn't even begin to try to nail down a reservation for my large a group because I suspect we'll have a lot of no-shows. Some are flying into town that same day.

I printed a list of highly recommended restaurants from TripAdvisor that are all within 0.1 mile of the hotel, as well as the ones cited as tourist ripoffs we can avoid.

The vibe I'm getting from the group is that they want an easy meal and a fairly early night, so planning anything that might involve transportation beyond walking just to save a few euros on the meal is probably a wash cost-wise and more effort than is called for.

And I'd rather dine with a small group I can converse with and get to know a little than attend a banquet situation with a crowd. That's just my preference.

Hope you have a great time at Sensi!

Thanks for the recommendation. I wouldn't even begin to try to nail down a reservation for my large a group because I suspect we'll have a lot of no-shows. Some are flying into town that same day.

I printed a list of highly recommended restaurants from TripAdvisor that are all within 0.1 mile of the hotel, as well as the ones cited as tourist ripoffs we can avoid.

The vibe I'm getting from the group is that they want an easy meal and a fairly early night, so planning anything that might involve transportation beyond walking just to save a few euros on the meal is probably a wash cost-wise and more effort than is called for.

And I'd rather dine with a small group I can converse with and get to know a little than attend a banquet situation with a crowd. That's just my preference.

Hope you have a great time at Sensi!

Oh, I agree on getting to know people :)

Sounds like you are all prepared :) Have fun!