Car rental

Buckie86

Does anyone have a suggestion for a car rental company for the day, that is close to the port? I will be in

Grand Cayman in February and would love to rent a convertible or Jeep to travel around the island and do my own shore excursion. Thanks for the advice.

Cayman has most of the usual major chains...pick your favorite. They're mostly located at the airport, but some will pick you up at the port to avoid having to take a taxi.

We normally rent from one of the local companies on the odd occasion we need a vehicle - andy's.ky

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Has anyone rented from Cayman Auto Rentals? How far from the cruise port are they? It would seem easier just to walk to the rental agency rather than call for a shuttle or taxi to the airport. Especially when you are returning the auto and need to catch a tender back to the ship.

My experiences are as an island resident.

Cayman Auto Rentals is the only car rental agency in easy walking distance from the port. I've rented from them before when my car was in the shop. It was a few years ago, but as I recall it was a slightly older car (perhaps 5 years old?) but in good working order. No problems.

On another occasion I rented from Coconut Car Rentals. They were right by another mechanic but have since moved their office. Similar to Cayman Auto Rental. No problems.

I've also rented at Avis (they are closer to a different mechanic I use) at the airport a couple times recently. Car was a newer right-had drive. No problems. They dropped me back at the mechanic's shop once I turned in the vehicle. Others on this board have mentioned they pick up from the port area if you need.

There are several other local (Andy's, Marshall's) and franchise (Budget, Hertz) operations. All maintain a good reputation. They have locations at the airport and some have secondary locations along Seven Mile Beach.

• 5 weeks later...
Has anyone rented from Cayman Auto Rentals? How far from the cruise port are they? It would seem easier just to walk to the rental agency rather than call for a shuttle or taxi to the airport. Especially when you are returning the auto and need to catch a tender back to the ship.

We rented from Cayman our first time on the island. It's a small place on the left, blue building, close to the Burger King if I recall. It's walkable from port, maybe 10 minutes. The only car rental place close enough to walk to.

We rented from Andy's last time. Called when we got on the tender and they picked us up within minutes of reaching the rendezvous point. I provided my info (driver's license, etc) ahead of time. When we got to the office they swiped my credit card, sign here, initial there and we were off. After returning the car they shuttled us back to the port. Great service.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We rented an old car from Cayman last time we were there. We got halfway to our destination when the brakes went out due to a brake fluid leak.

A very scary ride ensued as we brought it back to Cayman using the parking brakes to stop.

They wouldn't give us a refund but let us have another car instead. By then it was too late to go where we wanted so we just drove around town a little then brought it back.

Next time I want a newer, better maintained car somewhere.

We rented an old car from Cayman last time we were there. We got halfway to our destination when the brakes went out due to a brake fluid leak.

A very scary ride ensued as we brought it back to Cayman using the parking brakes to stop.

They wouldn't give us a refund but let us have another car instead. By then it was too late to go where we wanted so we just drove around town a little then brought it back.

Next time I want a newer, better maintained car somewhere.

The above post made me decide to rent from one of the big providers, hoping for better than this. We once rented from a local garage in Barbados and had a nightmare experience!

I rented, and prepaid, from Alamo and gave them a ring to find out about pick-up and drop-off as they are located at the airport. They couldn't have been more helpful so fingers crossed it just isn't too bad to tender in late January.