What to do in Barcelona for the day??

Kiwi_cruiser

If you only have one day, and you will not be taking a ship's tour, you can enjoy the best of Barcelona in the Hop On Hop Off Bus. However, Sagrada Familia and Parrk Guell will take you most of the day. Tough decision if you only have limited hours, since they are wonderful!. The stop for the two routes of the HoHo bus is near the port.

We have never been to Barcelona before and I was wondering what is their to do there?

What do you do when you go there??

Any tips/advise/ideas are very welcome. :)

Since you will only be there for only a few hours, take the Hop On Hop Off bus, the one that goes to La Sagrada and to Las Ramblas.

Get off at La Familia Sagrada and view all of the outside. You will not be able to go inside unless you have timed tickets. I wouldn't recommend for the short time you have in port.

Get off at Las Ramblas as well and experience the busy-ness of the Boulevard, maybe sitting at a sidewalk table with a beer or glass of wine.

If you have time, take the other Ho-Ho bus on a circuit of its route.

http://www.barcelonacitytour.com/en/?gclid=CNPAtcGer8QCFabHtAodtB0ADA

Seems to be general agreement (on posts so far) that La Sagrada and Parc Guell are at the top of the list. The HOHO bus is a good choice as it will get you to other places. However, if you are only going to 2 or 3 places a taxi might be a less expensive option when there are multiple people involved.

https://markandkareneurope2012.shutterfly.com/pictures

Edited by mskaufman

We have never been to Barcelona before and I was wondering what is their to do there?

What do you do when you go there??

Any tips/advise/ideas are very welcome. :)

Walk up Las Ramblas and go into the fascinating La Boqueria indoor market to get a true taste of Cataluña. Enjoy a glass of Cava (local sparkling wine similar to Champagne) at one of the bars there - our favourite is the KitKat bar on the right outside edge of the market - then take the HOHO bus for a good tour of the city. You will see all the famous sites and can decide where you would like to visit in more depth should you return to Barcelona some day.

If you have time left after the bus tour, have a stroll around the Gothic Quarter and visit the stunning Cathedral (this is NOT Sagrada Familia which is a Basilica not a cathedral) where entrance is free and there are no queues or crowds - take the elevator up to the roof for an amazing view over the city.

For another great roof top view have a Coffee on floor 9 of the El Corte Ingles department store at Plaza Cataluña then stroll back down Las Ramblas towards the port.

Campolady advice is perfect for one day.

Thanks for the tip about the 9th floor cafe in the dept store on

Plaza Cataluna.

Will be returning to Barcelona for another three days pre- cruise/post cruise next summer.

• 3 weeks later...
Walk up Las Ramblas and go into the fascinating La Boqueria indoor market to get a true taste of Cataluña. Enjoy a glass of Cava (local sparkling wine similar to Champagne) at one of the bars there - our favourite is the KitKat bar on the right outside edge of the market - then take the HOHO bus for a good tour of the city. You will see all the famous sites and can decide where you would like to visit in more depth should you return to Barcelona some day.

I really like the juices

http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff386/mmkbx75/IMG_0897_zpsa94f3a35.jpg

We have time entry to Familia Sagrada and will be done around 1:00. Our boat leaves by 6 pm. Will we have time to see Las Rambles and Parc Guell by taking the hop on and hop off bus? We are a party of 4. Should we take a taxi nstead?

Any comments...

We have time entry to Familia Sagrada and will be done around 1:00. Our boat leaves by 6 pm. Will we have time to see Las Rambles and Parc Guell by taking the hop on and hop off bus? We are a party of 4. Should we take a taxi nstead?

Any comments...

good for you on the timed entry to Sagrada. Your time is limited in this wonderful city and time is precious. I would take a cab to Sagrada. From there you can walk to two of Gaudi's masterpiece building (if you like to walk). I think they are magnificent and, if I were to make a choice I would see them over Park Guell, but it's subjective. From there it's not a long walk to the top of Las Ramblas and you can experience some of that beautiful walk and see La Boqueria. The Cathedral which is magnificent is in the old quarter and not far from Las Ramblas.

There are lots of taxis outside of Sagrada if you prefer a ride and you could have them take you to the top of Catalunya or La Pedrera (one of Gaudi's buildings if you do not want to walk.

Playa Catlunya is the main stop for the Ho Ho's as well.

We have been to Barcelona many times and there is so much to see that you must choose. Sagrada Familia is amazing and I am glad you are going inside.

Contrary to the others I do not recommend the Ho Ho bus if time is tight. It's fine for a ride around to see things but not to get out to see the sights. It's stops are limited and often in peak times, it is full and there is no room so you have to wait for another one and hope there is room.

If you are getting on and not getting off, it is great, but they can be very busy.

Barcelona is a very popular city and has many tourists often.

Just another thought.

Edited by kazu

Jacqui, thanks for the advice. We are counting the days and will start our Allure of the Sea cruise on October 15th. I understand the gothic quarter should not be missed. We will see how much time we have after Sagrada Familia (SF). ? is Las Ramblas area open for breakfast prior to our visit to SF? If so- any suggestions, since entry is not until 10:45am, our group can visit some of the sites since Allure arrives in port at 5:00 a.m. :rolleyes:

Jacqui, thanks for the advice. We are counting the days and will start our Allure of the Sea cruise on October 15th. I understand the gothic quarter should not be missed. We will see how much time we have after Sagrada Familia (SF). ? is Las Ramblas area open for breakfast prior to our visit to SF? If so- any suggestions, since entry is not until 10:45am, our group can visit some of the sites since Allure arrives in port at 5:00 a.m. :rolleyes:

yes, the restaurants on Las Ramblas are open. The standard breakfast in Spain is a pastry, coffee, juice or tea. You will see places with regular breakfast but they will be expensive.

Try going down a side street off Las Ramblas for better prices and more options. Try a churro for sure! Delicious. There is a spot near the Cathedral (about a 7 minute walk off Las Ramblas) that does serve "typical breakfast" and was more reasonable last time I was there.

oops, I forgot. Breakfast at the Boqueria is really good (how could I have forgotten that?) All kinds of quiches and things. Head to the back and to the left and enjoy :)

Edited by kazu

Since you will only be there for only a few hours, take the Hop On Hop Off bus, the one that goes to La Sagrada and to Las Ramblas.

Get off at La Familia Sagrada and view all of the outside. You will not be able to go inside unless you have timed tickets. I wouldn't recommend for the short time you have in port.

http://www.barcelonacitytour.com/en/?gclid=CNPAtcGer8QCFabHtAodtB0ADA

I must respectfully disagree with the suggestion to skip the inside of Sagrada Familia. We only did a half day tour and were able to see SF and the Parc, along with other sights. Get the timed entry ticket; the inside is breath-taking, truly one of the most wonderful sights we've seen in all of Europe. We loved it so much that we plan on returning during our next trip. To me, skipping the interior would be like seeing only the outside of the Collosseum in Rome, but of course that is MHO, for what it's worth.

Edited by sippican

I must respectfully disagree with the suggestion to skip the inside of Sagrada Familia. We only did a half day tour and were able to see SF and the Parc, along with other sights. Get the timed entry ticket; the inside is breath-taking, truly one of the most wonderful sights we've seen in all of Europe. We loved it so much that we plan on returning during our next trip. To me, skipping the interior would be like seeing only the outside of the Collosseum in Rome, but of course that is MHO, for what it's worth.

I agree and glad the OP has a timed ticket.

A visit back is very worthwhile. We couldn't believe how much it had changed in 7, 5 & a 2 year interval. Our last was the first time we got to Gaudi's mausoleum area.. Very limited hours and so glad we did it this time.

The Church is ever changing and for the better. Gaudi would be proud I think :)

Edited by kazu