Hotel in Shanghai - Hyatt on the Bund

brunello22

I just returned from a business trip in Shanghai and thought I would recommend Hyatt on the Bund for anyone looking for either a pre or post cruise stay.

The location is very nice, with beautiful views of the river (make sure to get a room with a river view), the rooms were spacious and immaculate, very nice amenities, and the Vue restaurant / lounge at the top of the hotel offers spectacular views of the city.

• 3 weeks later...
I just returned from a business trip in Shanghai and thought I would recommend Hyatt on the Bund for anyone looking for either a pre or post cruise stay.

The location is very nice, with beautiful views of the river (make sure to get a room with a river view), the rooms were spacious and immaculate, very nice amenities, and the Vue restaurant / lounge at the top of the hotel offers spectacular views of the city.

As you were on a business trip, did you manage to get out and about much?

We shall be staying at the Hyatt on the Bund pre-cruise next April and I am trying to budget. Do restaurants take credit cards? How much are you likely to spend on an averaged priced meal?

Many thanks for any help you can give.

As you were on a business trip, did you manage to get out and about much?

We shall be staying at the Hyatt on the Bund pre-cruise next April and I am trying to budget. Do restaurants take credit cards? How much are you likely to spend on an averaged priced meal?

Many thanks for any help you can give.

Good Morning! You will love Hyatt on the Bund! The restaurant and bar at the top of the hotel (VUE) is awesome for an evening cocktail - spectacular views of the city. The restaurant was very good, but a bit pricey, as most hotel restaurants are. Our breakfast was included in our daily rate at the hotel's restaurant Aroma.

I was traveling with a group of coworkers. Each day, we left the hotel around 8:00 am and returned around 8:00 pm. Not much free time, however we did have one full free day one Sunday. In a lot of big cities, I usually like to get a feel for the city by taking a hop on/hop off bus tour. We booked the Shanghai Big Bus tour online before we left the US ($38 USD in advance and $48 on the bus (not sure what it was in RMB). I highly recommend it because included with your bus ticket, is a 90-minute river cruise (we didn't have enough time, unfortunately). The walk along the promenade is beautiful.

If you are into shopping at all ... We did have a chance to go to the "underground" replica mall (twice), I think it is called Shanghai tourist mall (not the kind of mall you find at home). I think it is in the Pudong area and it is located next to the science museum, you go down a few steps, and then you are there! You can get super deals on watches, handbags, luggage, clothing, etc. Think of New York's Canal Street. Be sure to haggle very well!!

I found restaurants rather inexpensive, and yes they do take credit cards, but I like to use local currency if I have it on me. For example, I do not believe lunch was more than $10-$15 and dinner maybe $20-$30 per person (in a nicer restaurant). We were traveling with one of our Chinese suppliers, and he took us to all the local places, so we had a translator the entire time, which was great because many local places are non-English speaking. There is a restaurant about two-three blocks from the hotel with traditional Shanghainese food, I believe it is called Morning Shanghai. Very good food. There is another interesting restaurant directly across the street from the hotel, where you can pick and choose your fish, eel, crab, etc., from a tank, and they will prepare it for you. One afternoon we ate at a Hot Pot restaurant, which was my favorite meal of the week. Unfortunately I cannot remember which neighborhood we were at or the name of the restaurant.

Hope this info helps!

• 3 weeks later...

We stayed in the Hyatt on the Bund in October 2013. We booked a club level room with access to their lounge. The food offerings were fantastic. Great breakfast, tea, coffee and soft drinks all day and then a great choice of savoury and sweet food in the early evening along with free alcohol! We ate so much we didn't need to go out for dinner.

• 2 months later...

Has anyone taken a cruise FROM Shanghai's Baoshan Cruise Terminal and stayed at the Hyatt on the Bund before the cruise? If so, how did you get from the hotel to the port, which I understand is some distance from Shanghai? I am not talking about the close in International Cruise Terminal (which can't handle large ships such as the Princess Sapphire).

If you want shopping in Shanghai then you want to go to;

580 West Nanjing Road

Four floors of the most amazing fake market shopping I have ever experienced and I'm an experienced shopper !!!

Offer 50% of what they quote you....and the game is on :D

BTW...We stayed very near the Bund and Nanjing Road at the Grand Central Hotel..one of the most impressive hotels for that area..WONDERFUL...can't wait to go back !!!!

Edited by Ashland

580 West Nanjing Road

Four floors of the most amazing fake market shopping I have ever experienced and I'm an experienced shopper !!!

BTW...We stayed very near the Bund and Nanjing Road at the Grand Central Hotel..one of the most impressive hotels for that area..WONDERFUL...can't wait to go back !!!!

This place is about a quarter of the size of the market at the Science and Technology Museum subway. Also, if you are paying 50% of the initial asking price, you are overpaying by quite a lot. 10 to 20% is more like it.

This place is about a quarter of the size of the market at the Science and Technology Museum subway. Also, if you are paying 50% of the initial asking price, you are overpaying by quite a lot. 10 to 20% is more like it.

Great..I'll definately be going there next March...the West Nanjing market was the only one I knew about on my last visit...glad to hear there's some where else to shop too.

I said I start at 50% of what they first ask...I continue to go down from there (never up) very quickly when they don't take me up on my first offer..which they usually don't...game on and usually you're correct spend no more than 10-20% of ask...I have no trouble taking my Yuan and walking away :D

• 1 year later...

Does anyone have any experience with any of the Marriott hotels in Shanghai?

I will be there with my daughter pre-cruise for a couple of days. We love great views and great locations.

In what area should be look?

Does anyone have any experience with any of the Marriott hotels in Shanghai?

I will be there with my daughter pre-cruise for a couple of days. We love great views and great locations.

In what area should be look?

For a really great view, it has to be the Hyatt on the Bund. The location is good as well. When we were there just over a year ago, there was no other hotel nearby.

When we were looking at hotels for that trip, all the other hotels were inland from the Bund and, therefore, will not have anything like to same view but I am sure that at least one of them will be a Marriott. If you are not on the Bund, I would suggest one of the hotels on the HOHO bus route. Although, when we were there, on the weekend the traffic was so bad that the HOHO bus spent most of the time just stuck in traffic.

580 West Nanjing Road

How did you get your Visa for China?

580 West Nanjing Road

I forgot to mention, this place is closed.