Sawyer Glacier, Glacier Bay and Inside Passage...Tracy Arm necessary?

darlak8

If it's round trip Juneau..... NO. You lose too much of your Juneau port time.

I personally like the trip from Juneau. Not sure if you have ever done it (you seem to comment on trips you haven't done often). With the trip from Juneau - you have more time to stop for things on the boat that one wouldn't be able to stop for otherwise. I have seen more whales on my Tracy Arm trip (we stopped for 30 minutes for a pod of orcas) and I have seen a ton of bears on this trip and we stop each time. Plus, I still have some time in Juneau to do a few things. I will always choose this in Juneau if I have time. It beats anything I have done in Juneau.

Maybe you should try it before you criticize it.

Appreciate everyone's input. I'm hoping a Sept sailing won't have much ice in the water, considering it had all summer to melt. But I know I'll kick myself if our ship can't get in close and I hadn't booked a tour to Tracy Arm. Your posts were helpful, thank you.

We’ve been up Tracy Arm many times. The cruise ship normally only goes as far as Sawyer island, from there you can barely see Sawyer glacier. I highly recommend that you take the small boat excursion off the ship, you won’t be disappointed. The small boat excursion will get you a lot closer to the glacier.